5100s

RHEES

Reaction
I have a sonoma with the Fabtech kit. Im running 5100s in the front (F4-B46-1697-W0)-made for a 88-98 1/2 ton chevy. The valving on it is way to soft in the dirt. I was told to try 3/4 ton suburban 5100's so i did and they have even softer valving. Does anybody know if they make a stiffer shock that fits the 1/2-3/4 ton truck or suburban or how to get a hold of bilstein to ask them? I already tried the website. Am I just completely wasting my time and be better off spending the money and getting some small bypass shocks that i can revalve myself. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

D.S.

cleartoy

Reaction
Just upgrade to some 2"(I think that is the biggest that will fit s10s) resivoir shocks, with heavy valving. I dont think Bypasses will fit either, unless you went off the upper arm, but thats not really the way to do it.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

RHEES

Reaction
Yup, definitely no more stress on the stock ball joint, no upper arm shock mounts needed. I think you are right on the reservoir shocks. Much better on the budget. King, Bilstein, sway-a-way- are they all about the same or does somebody make a better 2" reservoir shock than the others.

Thanks again...

D.S.

cleartoy

Reaction
On 2" shocks, FOXs have small resivoirs. SAWs have threaded cans that you can upgrade to coils, plus they dissapatte heat like cooling fins. Bils are nice. Dont know anything about the Kings.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

cleartoy

Reaction
On 2" shocks, FOXs have small resivoirs. SAWs have threaded cans that you can upgrade to coils, plus they dissapatte heat like cooling fins. SAWs also have 7/8" shaft. Bils are nice. Dont know anything about the Kings.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ntsqd

Reaction
If you want to stay with the Bils, call Baja Concepts and tell them what you've got. They may be able to get you into an aftermarket Bil 5100 with the proper valving in them. Plus, the OE 5100's have an 8mm shaft and the aftermarket 5100's have a 14mm shaft. Never hurts to have a bigger shaft.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

tkr

Reaction
"Never hurts to have a bigger shaft."

That's what she said....

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

TDORSloppy

Reaction
I've tried running the B46-1307 (stock S-10 shocks) on the CST long travel kit and have had great sucess. The shocks you are using, that are not for your truck, have completely wrong valving. But that's weird, you would think the heavier trucks would have more valving. I say sell the truck and get a Toyota or Ranger, a lot better for the dirt.

prerunner68

Reaction
sell the truck and buy a toyota, a lot better for the dirt?

I guess your toyota is the truck to run in the desert huh?

cleartoy

Reaction
The problem with s 10s and half tons is the coil springs, not allowing you much choice in shocks due to a small area.

I know a guy with the CST kit on his s-10 who notched out the frame, runs coil overs and air bumps on it, modified the lower arm to accept uniballs(like the uppers) and spindles, and hes very happy with it.

Some trucks just lend themselves to eaiser modifications. Toyotas and Fords happen to upgrade easily. Chevys can also upgrade if they are willing to take the time and money to do so.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
yeah tell me about it i have spent alot of money in the last two months but by haloween ill bee sporting the coilovers and unibals all around cant wait hope to have some fun when its all done, with out worrying so much about breaking stuff.

Gregg

cleartoy

Reaction
Interesting, the same guy that did the conversion brought in a set of Fabtech lower arms to the shop for someone with Uniballs to have us install em. They arent yours are they?

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

RHEES

Reaction
It takes alot of time and money to make any truck work. S10s are a pain and only with alot of custom work will it work right. I figure same goes for most other trucks too. I just want something that runs for now untill I find some $$ to build a real truck. Anybody put deavers on their s10s? Do they work good with the stock main leaf or am I better off with a complete new pack?

Thanks again.

Matt
D.S.