51st SCORE Baja 500 on ABC's World of X Saturday July 6th

arqangel67

It's always good to see the sport get some main stream media coverage.

TecateRay

If you want to see more SCORE races on mainstream TV networks be sure to write ABC and let them know you want to see more. It’s good for the sport, race teams and their sponsors to get this kind of exposure.

stephenrjking

If you want to see more SCORE races on mainstream TV networks be sure to write ABC and let them know you want to see more. It’s good for the sport, race teams and their sponsors to get this kind of exposure.
Is ABC putting this on themselves, or is SCORE paying for the airtime?

51rcr

set dvr the other day, forgot on the mint oops, going to have to search it out.

stephenrjking

Just had it on, made the kids watch a bit (get them in the mood for ERX next week, natch).

Desert races are really hard to capture in a one-hour tv program. On the plus side, they kept the "human interest" stuff short. On the downside, there was a lot of repetitive shots of the same sections of the course, just tracking drivers as they came through. I'd rather them use more aerial drone shots and action shots for that kind of thing.

Would have been nice for them to explain what happened to Lopez that deprived him of his hood, too. It wasn't mentioned.

They did briefly show the silt traffic jam.

Overall pretty good. The use of aerial footage is growing, but there needs to be more. I could watch footage like the stuff packed into this Menzies video of the same race all day.

sb4pro

I agree with Stephen overall it was a great job on the broadcast . I WOULDVE liked to see it be a 2 hr show but for what they had it was good .
As for Apdaly I think he lost the hood during the silt jam .

stephenrjking

Apdaly lost his hood running the Herbst truck off the mountain.
That's the sort of note that would be great to have on the broadcast. It's not like they have to record this live--they can just script a line that notes that it occurred. More of the "this is the back-and-forth in the race" stuff, like what we heard from Joe M after the race (his description of the end was a lot more exciting than the show). I mean, love or hate the move on Herbst, it makes the racers sound cooler and the race sound tougher. Why not, at the least, mention it?

yeah baby, was that a subaru geting the ' Cops ' truck unstuck??
Best moment in the broadcast.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
The show was pretty good, and I obviously understand that they can't cover each class. But MEGA lame coverage of what is the largest and biggest class in desert racing. Congrats Craig Scanlon in his Polaris RZR on the epic first win.

jon coleman

broadcast baja500, it was Very good, hmmm, i can recall No brdcast coverage .( im cheap, ditched cable in 2009)

51rcr

it was nice to see lots of them racing. And a few classes. Good stuff. Like the older wide world of sports stuff.

Robin Hood

The show was pretty good, and I obviously understand that they can't cover each class. But MEGA lame coverage of what is the largest and biggest class in desert racing. Congrats Craig Scanlon in his Polaris RZR on the epic first win.
If the UTV's want coverage, then Polaris should probably sponsor another TT;)

harleys dad

for decades 51600 was the largest class at the 500 and 1000 year after year but you hardly saw one on tv

jon coleman

drone footage is the wave of the future for off road racing coverage, expensive, but you get much better/ interesting shots, the start short course coverage was really cool,

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Yes drone footage is more expensive than filming on the ground, but obviously WAY cheaper than helicopter footage.