• Forum membership has its advantages....

55gl drum truck bed fuel tower

tapeworm

Everyone keeps thinking the vent hole wont be big enough on the drum but if you think about the old VP 5 gallon fuel jugs we “used to” use for your dirt bike/quad, that little pinhole of an air vent allowed plenty of fuel to flow freely through a much larger exit tube. Check the ratio on that and compare it to the 55 gallon drum and you might get closer to the vent answer.

ACME

About 10 years ago at Midway in Parker, a chase truck using a 55GA drum system had issues venting and fueling and eventually sprayed 4-5 people around the car and soaked the fueler. Thankfully nothing happened but we spent the next 20 mins helping rinse out eyes etc. The moral of the story is when you're dealing with that much fuel,
IMHO Mickey-Mousing it is not a good idea...

Not to bring up ugly memories and was not there so no actual knowledge of the incident however, if you look at the chase truck in this video it's basically the same set up we saw in Parker first hand. Also lots of threads surrounding this topic & incidents over the years.

dan200

#BSF200
In Baja I watched a single 55 gal drum set up like youre talking about go wrong because of the tiny vent it had. It actually collapsed the drum quite a bit. kinda sketchy. it wasn't greatest engineered set up I have ever seen.

Pressure pros are pretty rad but they scare me a little still and we've been using them longer than most people.

What really scares me are bed mounted set ups. I figure if shizz goes wrong not only is there a fire and or a race car fire but now theres a chase truck on fire.

I'm good at worrying.

dan200

#BSF200
Not to bring up ugly memories and was not there so no actual knowledge of the incident however, if you look at the chase truck in this video it's basically the same set up we saw in Parker first hand. Also lots of threads surrounding this topic & incidents over the years.
Was this with Ebberts? I never saw this angle before.

MTPyle

All good points.

the real problem for us is cost. I can’t spend $10k on a Pressure pro.

the other issue is we really are not at a point that seconds matter. It’s not like I keep getting 2nd and if only I could save 20 seconds I could win. We are still far from the top 5. So when I think about that it’s really silly to spend any money on a fueling system.

We may just splash one dump can at SS300 and see how it goes. I don’t think we can make the entire race on only 1 stop. It’s super close and I don’t do close when it comes to fuel. It’s the pilot in me. Haha.

I think we will table this idea and Revisit if we need to.

I did just spend a chunk of change on SDG shock set up so maybe that will make us faster. LOL

Thanks again for the feedback. Always great points made here.

Mike

Slippery P

I would scrap the whole idea Mike been done before and there is a reason you don’t see them around. You can pick up some pressure pros from teams not racing anymore, Josh sold his for penny’s on the dollar when he got rid of the TT.

JerryB

About 10 years ago at Midway in Parker, a chase truck using a 55GA drum system had issues venting and fueling and eventually sprayed 4-5 people around the car and soaked the fueler. Thankfully nothing happened but we spent the next 20 mins helping rinse out eyes etc. The moral of the story is when you're dealing with that much fuel,
IMHO Mickey-Mousing it is not a good idea...

Worst nightmare!!!!!

Rprice

All good points.

the real problem for us is cost. I can’t spend $10k on a Pressure pro.

the other issue is we really are not at a point that seconds matter. It’s not like I keep getting 2nd and if only I could save 20 seconds I could win. We are still far from the top 5. So when I think about that it’s really silly to spend any money on a fueling system.

We may just splash one dump can at SS300 and see how it goes. I don’t think we can make the entire race on only 1 stop. It’s super close and I don’t do close when it comes to fuel. It’s the pilot in me. Haha.

I think we will table this idea and Revisit if we need to.

I did just spend a chunk of change on SDG shock set up so maybe that will make us faster. LOL

Thanks again for the feedback. Always great points made here.

Mike
oh wow so screw the whole safety thing since it’s not in your budget? You run e85 for negligible HP gains, you spend as u say a lot of money other places.... but screw the (fuel)crew or others surrounding you in the pits.
Sell that 6100 u fit in better with the utv guys

MTPyle

RPrice,

We are actually a pretty safety focused as a team. My two boys are in that truck and we have family and friends in our pits. Not to mention Mom comes to all races so we are very serious about safety. I have made many choices to give up performance or speed in the name of safety.

It was already a big cost to do this new lift idea, it would have cost me at least $4k. Then after reading some of the comments and considering the added risk it does not make sense for us to take that risk. So I bailed. I was on the fence already that's why started the thread.

We like all teams have limited resources and need to decide where to put them. For me we just decided to spend some more on our suspension as we think our driving and handling is our weakness now. Our engine and driveline package is dialed.

Not sure your definition of "negligible" but for us the added power we get from E85 is worth the extra fuel stops. And just FYI E85 cost us a lot less to run. So we get more power and less cost.

Racing is just a bunch of choices all added up. Choices down to split second choices from the driver to choices on engine set up months before we get to race. Choices every day, lots of them. I try my best to make the best choice with the information and budget that I have at that time.

I can handle any hatred you have for me. But don't pick on the UTV guys, they already have enough to deal with LOL

Mike

JerryB

oh wow so screw the whole safety thing since it’s not in your budget? You run e85 for negligible HP gains, you spend as u say a lot of money other places.... but screw the (fuel)crew or others surrounding you in the pits.
Just curious how you made the connection between lack of concern for safety of your equipment and crew to the "UTV guys" ?????

51rcr

i have always thought about this also. I read through rules awhile ago since i knew there was lots with fueling. Theres a few things and with rules and i dont know if they enforce or worry about them anymore and some dont make sense really. Score seems the simplest. BITD used to say any tower had to have a headman valve with someone on it. The system couldnt be one hose it had to have a return vent line. It also said the vent had to be the same size as a return. Also thought it said the vent out of the tank needed to be the same size. Score doesnt have much. The 3/4 bung would flow well.
One thing about a fuel tower is it if something starts leaking, fire or going bad its not in the truck.
If you ever decide to follow through with it i would like to see it. I can remember some ultra 4 guys using barrels. Really its just a farm fuel tank set up.

Michael Cohen

Oh, I get it, referring to their team as a UTV team is supposed to be a dig? Take your pack off buddy and if you cannot be a part of constructive useful dialog, maybe you should head back to Tik-Tok or Snap Chat.

How about being part of a solution as opposed to beinffg a nay sayer. Many thought Edison was offf his rocker many a time and look at what paid off with persistence, research, and hard work ethic.

Racerinside

We pit for a very thirsty class 7 (2mpg) and at San Felipe last year we switched from dump cans to dual fuel transfer pumps straight out of steel fuel drums to 1.5 hose to a wye to a 2 inch hose and fuel nozzle. Fuel stop was 80 gallons under 2 minutes and not a drop spilled.

Bro_Gill

Quite a few years ago, down at San Felipe, I helped put out a fire in the bed of a pick-up where guys were transfering fuel from a 55 gallon drum into dump cans. Even after being told- 'Don't do that, the drum needs to be on the ground' they said they knew what they were doing. And in an instant they had a fire with multiple dump cand and rear of a brand new F350 chase truck blazing away. And they ran away. People, regardless of whatthey think, are rarely readyto take proper action when panic sets in. Regardless of how you are going to fuel everything, transfer the fuel before the race into dumps, on the ground. Too many times I have seen people trying to transfer fuel quickly at a roving pit truck and bad things happen. Spend the money to have quality dump cans with redheads. Spend the money on extra cans so you can fill them before the race even starts and save the hassle and panic of trying to do it fast because the car is almost there.

Fourstroker

We pit for a very thirsty class 7 (2mpg) and at San Felipe last year we switched from dump cans to dual fuel transfer pumps straight out of steel fuel drums to 1.5 hose to a wye to a 2 inch hose and fuel nozzle. Fuel stop was 80 gallons under 2 minutes and not a drop spilled.
Consider that a 90 gallon fuel stop with a PP and rear tires can be done in under 30 seconds by many teams. Obviously apples to oranges but your competitors might have oranges to your apples. Done right no spilled fuel either

Racerinside

Consider that a 90 gallon fuel stop with a PP and rear tires can be done in under 30 seconds by many teams. Obviously apples to oranges but your competitors might have oranges to your apples. Done right no spilled fuel either
Yea, not trying to compare to a pressure pro. OP was looking to use drum towers, just showing a different option for drum fueling or dump cans.

Robin Hood

Quite a few years ago, down at San Felipe, I helped put out a fire in the bed of a pick-up where guys were transfering fuel from a 55 gallon drum into dump cans. Even after being told- 'Don't do that, the drum needs to be on the ground' they said they knew what they were doing. And in an instant they had a fire with multiple dump cand and rear of a brand new F350 chase truck blazing away. And they ran away. People, regardless of whatthey think, are rarely readyto take proper action when panic sets in. Regardless of how you are going to fuel everything, transfer the fuel before the race into dumps, on the ground. Too many times I have seen people trying to transfer fuel quickly at a roving pit truck and bad things happen. Spend the money to have quality dump cans with redheads. Spend the money on extra cans so you can fill them before the race even starts and save the hassle and panic of trying to do it fast because the car is almost there.
I am surprised this is coming from you. There are a lot of issues with transporting fuel in dump cans. It is way safer to have transport in a drum.