• Forum membership has its advantages....

55gl drum truck bed fuel tower

Bro_Gill

I have seen multiple fires from drum usage in pits. I have only seen one fire from dump cans,. and that was kid fueling a guy on a bike. And the kid panicked. What issues have you had driving around with dump cans of fuel?

ACME

IMHO Dump cans and drums can both be safely transported. Common sense needs to be used with handling either.

It's how one handles the fuel transfer to the car in this sport that's concerning as we've seen it all from: OTF road fueling to gas powered pumps, "professional" and armature built pressurized systems, gas cans and a myriad of others. The simple fact is the rush attitude with some chasers, and the goal of speed creates lack of regard to fueling practices has led to multiple issues. And we've all seen this with even a person at a gas station getting fuel for his lawn mower.

Human nature tends to ignore things like common sense when money and time are factors or when you're caught up in the moment. When it comes to fuel, IMO we need to be smart to keep people from making stupid mistakes with severe consequences while pursuing a hobby...

JerryB

IMHO Dump cans and drums can both be safely transported. Common sense needs to be used with handling either.

It's how one handles the fuel transfer to the car in this sport that's concerning as we've seen it all from: OTF road fueling to gas powered pumps, "professional" and armature built pressurized systems, gas cans and a myriad of others. The simple fact is the rush attitude with some chasers, and the goal of speed creates lack of regard to fueling practices has led to multiple issues. And we've all seen this with even a person at a gas station getting fuel for his lawn mower.

Human nature tends to ignore things like common sense when money and time are factors or when you're caught up in the moment. When it comes to fuel, IMO we need to be smart to keep people from making stupid mistakes with severe consequences while pursuing a hobby...
Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.

Robin Hood

I have seen multiple fires from drum usage in pits. I have only seen one fire from dump cans,. and that was kid fueling a guy on a bike. And the kid panicked. What issues have you had driving around with dump cans of fuel?
My response was strictly relating to transportation. I have never seen fuel spillage from a drum during transportation. The drums are actually designed to transport fuel and IMO the safer way to transport. I have seen countless situations of fuel spilling when transported in dump can. If you can transfer to a dump can safely prior to your pit stop, I bet you can safely transfer at your pit stop.

Bro_Gill

Well, again, tell that to the multiple fire victims that I have actually WITNESSED at races transfering fuel in a hurry because the green flag has dropped. Properly built and prepped dump cans will transport just fine. The issue is not the equipment, it is the human element that makes it dangerous. Ever see what a team does to get the bung out of a drum when they don't have the proper bung wrench? How well do you think the rag stuffed in the hole going dow the road does for safety?

MTPyle

We use 55 gallon drums to transfer into our dump cans with a electric pump and we have never had a problem. Any system can fail if you do it wrong and don’t take precautions.

We have had more spills and messes with dump cans then drums.

we have also transferred from drums to a fuel tower and back with no problems.

Mike

Robin Hood

Well, again, tell that to the multiple fire victims that I have actually WITNESSED at races transfering fuel in a hurry because the green flag has dropped. Properly built and prepped dump cans will transport just fine. The issue is not the equipment, it is the human element that makes it dangerous. Ever see what a team does to get the bung out of a drum when they don't have the proper bung wrench? How well do you think the rag stuffed in the hole going dow the road does for safety?
Funny how you expect the thre dump cans to be handled properly, but there is no way they can handle a drum properly...LOL. A drum is way safer for transporting and you know it. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Bro_Gill

I am not talking about transporting as much as transfering. THAT is when the issue happen. FACT. Add in 'Oh my god, the truck is almost here'...panic and issues. I have never had an issue transporting dump cans. If a can doesn't have the proper caps, etc... It shouldn't be used. Duct tape is NOT an appropriate cap for transporting. Again, I am talking about WHAT I HAVE ACTUALLY WITNESSED in real life, not just guessing what has happened. That is coming STRAIGHT OUT THE FRONT OF MY MOUTH.

michael.gonzalez

Who doesn't fuel their jugs and have them ready for the truck? That sounds like poor planning. Proper planning prevents any rushing/panic, minimizing issues.

I would venture to guess that everyone knows duct tape is not an adequate fuel cap. But I guess the world will invent a better idiot.

Speedster

Who doesn't fuel their jugs and have them ready for the truck? That sounds like poor planning. Proper planning prevents any rushing/panic, minimizing issues.

I would venture to guess that everyone knows duct tape is not an adequate fuel cap. But I guess the world will invent a better idiot.
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance? :)

dan200

#BSF200
The horrendously stupid things I have seen people do with fuel is amazing.

There was a guy, lets call him "dan200", because that's who it was. Anyway, this idiot let the whole back of Philos pickup truck get filled with race gas when a seam on a dump can fractured while transporting it. It soaked all the tool bags, gear bags etc. Coulda burned the truck to the ground.

The same guy was in Philos prerunner "gumby" when it rolled totaling one of the most beloved prerunners around.

If that wasnt enough, this same idiot just happened to be in Philos Infinity when Ensenada was all flooded last year and they drove into a wash trying to keep up with a Raptor downtown, sucking in a big gulp of water and hydro-locking the motor. They drove home in a Prius.

See a commonality in all those things?

(Philo is gonna kill us both)

PS- Philo just bought two retired crown vic cop cars. Cant wait for the Baja 500!

Vdrive

Look up Flying Dutchmen racing, he has a got milk TT for sale on RDC in the past. They raced Baja for like 25 years, I’ve never met the guy but I’m told he holds a degree in rocket science, anyway I saw one of there chase trucks after a b1k And it had a fuel drum at the back of the bed that I thought was strapped to the tailgate but it was not strapped to the tailgate, they built a mount that slipped into the receiver hitch of the chase truck with a handcrank boat winch type thing that would raise the barrel up out of the back of the truck and overhead. One man fuel operation! Fuel the race car, disconnect and save hoses then donate the barrel to someone to make a bbq...no barrel to drag home. I believe the BITD rule book might have clarifications on tower requirements I know it needs a deadman valve at a minimum and has to return the vent back to the container in which the fuel came from like an exchange. This is nothing to mess with if you burn one of your buddies to death..... Please don’t be a pioneer and try something crazy then get someone hurt.
nitrogen driven transfer pump into dump jugs at the time and point of use is probably the safest way to do this with every single person touching gas or in the pit wearing complete safety gear head to toe. Accidents happen before the race vehicle shows up, the transfer of the gas is just as dangerous as pouring it into the race vehicle please don’t forget this!!! This is not just directed at you but anyone reading. Most people will have a story about gasoline leaking from jugs just like Dan 200....

MTPyle

Thanks for all the input and story’s

I would have used a deadman valve and proper fittings. And we would have grounded the system correctly. I still think we could do it safely but it’s not where we are spending our resources now. Just too many other places that will net better results for the money and time.

Mike

cynicwanderer

just curious as a bystander here. do people use a gound wire between the race vehicle and the refueling vehicle/system ? I guess I never noticed when watching refueling.

Big Whitey

Bro, just for my own curiosity how do you feel about standard aftermarket inside the bed fuel transfer tanks using electric pumps to transfer to fuel jugs.

Bro_Gill

We have used one in the past. 15 gallons a minute. Worked great, UL listed, etc... And we weren't driving down the highway when we were fueling wither!