• Forum membership has its advantages....

55gl drum truck bed fuel tower

MTPyle

Just FYI this was our mechanical concept for the lift. It used two 3K electric rams.

Mike

Attachments

GBRACER

looks good I think if you were to buy a Pressure tank and interoperate it to that lift design you will have the winning ticket,

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Question. Do any of the team's ground the car during fuel stops? I know F1 uses strips that stick up. I am sure someone one said an aerial buried that way car drives over and is grounded. Unsure about other types. In Australia the rules used to be.
- car must be stopped and turned off.
- occupants must exit the car.
- no one is allowed to touch the car other than to remove and replace fuel cap.
- all fueling must be done in designated fuel pit.
- refueling during a race was very rare. As they used to be short enough you could get through a section then refuel before the next section. Except the Kempsey Internation. We always needed a splash of fuel to make it and the time sure hurt.

However i think they now allow fueling in the pits. But all hot work must be done in a designated hot work area.

Bricoop

Question. Do any of the team's ground the car during fuel stops? I know F1 uses strips that stick up. I am sure someone one said an aerial buried that way car drives over and is grounded. Unsure about other types. In Australia the rules used to be.
- car must be stopped and turned off.
- occupants must exit the car.
- no one is allowed to touch the car other than to remove and replace fuel cap.
- all fueling must be done in designated fuel pit.
- refueling during a race was very rare. As they used to be short enough you could get through a section then refuel before the next section. Except the Kempsey Internation. We always needed a splash of fuel to make it and the time sure hurt.

However i think they now allow fueling in the pits. But all hot work must be done in a designated hot work area.
Good discussion here: Grounding your vehicle while fueling???

cynicwanderer

it's less about "grounding", than connecting the fuel source to the vehicle before and during fueling... static electricity builds up as the fuel moves, since the fuel is a dielectric and often the delivery lines are dielectric as well. I have never actually seen anyone use a static/ground line in pits. I suspect small dump cans used in moto/quad don't have enough fuel flow to build up much static electricity during refueling.

the examples of refueling operations and videos I have seen in off-road racing look generally really messy/sloppy and dangerous. I have seen BFG pit refueling operations and they seem to be pretty professional, but didn't notice a static line. it could have been there, just didn't notice it.

the training/promotional video for the pressure pro, talks about the static line, but shows them clipping it to a painted/powder coated part of the fuel system. hopefully, when they do real training, they point out the importance of using a non painted ground point.

MTPyle

I dont think stratic is the biggest issues. From the accidents I have seen its caused by spillage.

They say you should not talk on your cell phone while fueling your car, but how many stories have you heard of this being a problem compared to when someone spills fuel on a hot surface?

The issue is you do not want any static to try to jump between two ground points in vapor. As long as the static has an easy way to get to ground it will not try to jump. Just like me, I will walk down the creek to a bridge before I try and jump it. Static is just as lazy. Haha

All you need is the two points grounded to ground. So you can ground the fuel source to going and the vehicle to ground and all is good.

Mike

cynicwanderer

I dont think stratic is the biggest issues. From the accidents I have seen its caused by spillage.

They say you should not talk on your cell phone while fueling your car, but how many stories have you heard of this being a problem compared to when someone spills fuel on a hot surface?

The issue is you do not want any static to try to jump between two ground points in vapor. As long as the static has an easy way to get to ground it will not try to jump. Just like me, I will walk down the creek to a bridge before I try and jump it. Static is just as lazy. Haha

All you need is the two points grounded to ground. So you can ground the fuel source to going and the vehicle to ground and all is good.

Mike
I agree most people I have seen are sloppy and spill fuel in the pits. I work in an aviation related industry, at work we had a helipad, two helicopters and a refueling trailer. the aircraft and the fueling trailer will built up static potential during fueling relative to each other and having a static line between the aircraft and the fueling trailer is very important, as it drains the charge as it's trying to build up. neither the aircraft or trailer are connected to earth ground at the helipad. having the two grounded to a common earth ground point will also work, since they are still connected to each other via the wires. however, when refueling aircraft in the field or remotely, there typically is no earth ground.

yeah, the cellphone thing is pretty stupid... although, some older cellphones had a high voltage supply for the back light generator and could in theory build up a charge in the person; modern phones all have low voltage LED lighting for the back light.

I believe gas station fuel pumps have a wire/mesh in the hose that connects the nozzle to the pump, and the nozzle connects to a metal filler in the car, so it connects the car automatically and prevents static build up during fueling. additionally, the pumps are earth grounded.

Last edited:

ACME

Lots of factors in the fires that have happened over the years. Other issues/considerations which have contributed to various incidents: Tire changes/impacts, vent hose locations/routing, brakes, fuel handling and system failures on top of fuel spills. Those same factor have led to standardized practices and changes across most motorsports series and governing bodies in how fueling is handled.

However, "Baja" desert racing presents a unique challenge based on the geography and lack of control by the governing bodies allowing them to manage fueling (BITD could based on their mandated pit locations). The beauty of the sport is the freedom, but at the same time it's a dual edged sword when it comes to a lot of issues. And as someone said: We can't control the use of common sense...

Bro_Gill

Don't kid yourself into thinking static electrical charge does not happen and cause fires. Been to plenty over the years. Easy to eliminate that issue but the unknowing don't know and most don't care because it won't happen to them...Until it does. Closing the loop between the fueling vessel and the item being fueled ends the static spark.

cynicwanderer

Don't kid yourself into thinking static electrical charge does not happen and cause fires. Been to plenty over the years. Easy to eliminate that issue but the unknowing don't know and most don't care because it won't happen to them...Until it does. Closing the loop between the fueling vessel and the item being fueled ends the static spark.
yup, it's an easy thing to do for safety.

Honda48X

Change the electrical properties of the fuel with anti-static additives, thus reducing accumulation of static charge in the tank to a negligible amount..

MTPyle

Bro, the movement in the container from transport also creates a lot of static.

Our Fuel tower we use from a buddy didn't have the ground line in the hose so we added a wire wrapped around the hose from the tower to the red head. We also grounded the tower and the truck.

We don't mess around with safety.

Mike