55gl drum truck bed fuel tower

cynicwanderer

Reaction
Josh,

LOL funny. Especially since we just made a rule that we will not use electric power tools when fueling the truck at the pits. Then we go and do this. jajaja.

Mike
it's probably OK if it's brushless; then there shouldn't be any sparks. also, if you remove the battery it's safe ;-)

joshmx88

Reaction
I watched half a bmw dealer go up in flames due to one brushless impact and some fuel vapors, that tech said it would be probably be fine too.

cynicwanderer

Reaction
in any case, impact tools (pneumatic, hydraulic or electric) are not intrinsically safe unless specifically designed for it. furthermore, all handtools/personel need to be grounded (drain wire) when working in explosive environments. doing this outside instead of confined space (garage), makes it less risky.

MTPyle

Reaction
Here are some pics of our new duel red head fill with new vents. Trying to make it handle a rollover. We still need to add a skid plate to the bottom so the load would go onto the tires if we roll.

nothing like scrambling the weekend before the race.

Mike
C3D23368-8720-4D40-A023-3CAFBF0B26EA.jpeg
242EA9F0-8669-45CB-9C7D-F7E71C657BEF.jpeg
46F9E0D5-4D9B-4DE8-B1B9-1BB8E4A1E86C.jpeg

43mod

Reaction
Mike. If possible run your return fuel where you can see the flow. Might be difficult w your setup. If your getting return you know fuel is being pumped throughout the system. Simple trouble shooting trick. Very simple on us poor boy race car guys set ups 😊

MTPyle

Reaction

we actually just changed our return to go directly to the bottom of the cell. The way it was before was it just dropped into the top of the cell and the fuel had to run down all the foam to get to the pickup. So we would lose at least a gallon maybe two of usable fuel when empty.

We just fired up with our new system and we solved the air leak problem. Our pumps make very little noise and are consistent now. Before they would change pitch as I think they were getting air from the lines or fittings in the tank. I think that problem gave us a lot of grief over the last year and a half. In fact at last years Vegas to Reno we went thru 3 fuel pumps during the race which I now think was from a air leak in the cell. It was one of the last systems that we had not changed. Haha.

Mike

43mod

Reaction
Got it. Dont agree w the theory but i have been wrong plenty of times before ! See you in baja and you can convince me then.

MTPyle

Reaction
Haha I have plenty of theories that are wrong. So you may be right. But next week we get to see which of my many theories are right and which are wrong.

we plan to test a lot before this weeks race.

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes we have a dust cover and handles that we are putting on. Vince from Pressure pro provided for us. Along with a hose and gas station style nozzle so we can fill our chase truck from the pressure pro. Not sure if the dust cap is the Hall design one. We will see how it works.

we pick up our pressure pro Tuesday and these parts. So we will have a couple days to get fully dialed in.

15DBC0D5-30FD-46ED-9090-DF2144CA94CB.jpeg

jon coleman

Reaction
just read through thread, looks like fun,,MTP, you say your running a K&N filter on -10 line, is it one of those valve cover vent size ones?, like 2" ×4"?, be aware if there exposed they WILL PLUG UP, & give you more fuel issues then you want, , bigger the k& n the better, also hidden away from any potential mud-dirt water intrusion, then its no problem

MTPyle

Reaction
Jon,

You were right. We thought we had a large enough vent filter but it got clogged 200 miles into the race and we had to run both of our fuel pumps to maintain fuel pressure. Took awhile to figure out what the problem was. At first we just stopped making fuel pressure so I switched to pump #2 and it still would not hold pressure. I ran both and it worked. kept messing with it trying to figure out what the deal was and lost some time on course.

The other issue was Connor forgot to take the Alarm page off the dash for fuel pressure. So each time it dropped low I had to hit a button to clear the alarm page so I could see the dash. On all other alarms he just added red words (and red LED external light) to the bottom of the dash and it didn't need to get reset but with this he forgot to change it. So every time it dropped down I had to hit the dash button to get the dash back which has my rpm and speed on it, which I use often while driving.

We are going to put a much larger filter on with a outerwear.

we also had the fill fuel line fail on the pressure pro fail on the second fuel stop. It leaked at the fitting where it was heat shrinked. that was a major curve ball and ended up taking us so much time to fix it that the fuel trailer did not get to the next fuel pit on time. Fortunately we had back up dump cans to do a splash to get the truck back on course and to the next pit so the fuel truck could get there on time.

Seems like every time we get something new it bites us in the butt. LOL We are racing a small local race this weekend to test our fixes and get more dialed in.

Mike

Ikaika

Reaction
Jon,

You were right. We thought we had a large enough vent filter but it got clogged 200 miles into the race and we had to run both of our fuel pumps to maintain fuel pressure. Took awhile to figure out what the problem was. At first we just stopped making fuel pressure so I switched to pump #2 and it still would not hold pressure. I ran both and it worked. kept messing with it trying to figure out what the deal was and lost some time on course.

The other issue was Connor forgot to take the Alarm page off the dash for fuel pressure. So each time it dropped low I had to hit a button to clear the alarm page so I could see the dash. On all other alarms he just added red words (and red LED external light) to the bottom of the dash and it didn't need to get reset but with this he forgot to change it. So every time it dropped down I had to hit the dash button to get the dash back which has my rpm and speed on it, which I use often while driving.

We are going to put a much larger filter on with a outerwear.

we also had the fill fuel line fail on the pressure pro fail on the second fuel stop. It leaked at the fitting where it was heat shrinked. that was a major curve ball and ended up taking us so much time to fix it that the fuel trailer did not get to the next fuel pit on time. Fortunately we had back up dump cans to do a splash to get the truck back on course and to the next pit so the fuel truck could get there on time.

Seems like every time we get something new it bites us in the butt. LOL We are racing a small local race this weekend to test our fixes and get more dialed in.

Mike
Mike,

Test, test, test.......( in my opinion ) there is nothing more valuable than seat time & testing in off-road racing.

Here is my very own quote from the 6100 / TT Spec thread you started located on page 1.

Anticipated completion is the end of the year with approximately 3-6 months of testing in 2021 & working out the kinks before competition.

The "take aways" & "lessons learned" from the "small local races" ( disclaimer......not minimizing these events in any way ) will pay huge dividends later.

Go get um !

MTPyle

Reaction
Figured I would put this here rather than clog up the B500 thread. This thread is the most recent thread discussing Pressure Pro

Reports are that a Pressure Pro failed and exploded at the B500 seriously injuring a crew member during the set up process.

I know there are many that think this system is dangerous and it can fail, maybe they are right? Or it was miss use?

clearly I am very interested in what failed. Was it a process or equipment failure?

I am being told on this system the pressure relief valve was wired shut to run higher pressure than 15lbs. I have no proof of this but it does make sense as how could the tank fail with a relief valve?

Hopefully someone can verify this claim of closed relief valve or has some more inside information. These things are always difficult as nobody wants to admit what went wrong so it makes it hard to learn from.

I could care less who messed up or who is to blame. I just want to learn what happened so we can make sure it does not happen to us.

Mike

mgobaja

Reaction
Fueling systems need to be serviced the same or more often than the race car is. O-Rings in redheads leak, relief and deadman valves stick or leak, hoses get worn. this should be part of the prep process. Whens the last time many of these teams serviced fire extinguishers ? How many of the people manning extinguishers during the fueling process know what to do with it ?

Even dumpcans need maintained, as they often get tossed around and that can cause them to crack and weep fuel or collect dirt and then not be properly rinsed before being refilled

jon coleman

Reaction
having cut my teeth in Naval Aviation, the safety book is written in, you got it ,blood, im sure pressure pro is looking into this, IF Someone monkeyed with Any part of this system, step up and be honest!!, rule number one on the flight deck, Never hide, ignore, Not say somthing in regards to safety, people and millions of dollars can be lost by not speaking up& not doing the right thing, if All protocols where followed, need to address part/ system faliure and make sure its fixed& everyone is made aware of it that runs a pressure pro,& if somthing was modified that caused failure, THAT needs to be WELL documented!!& everyone involved with pp made aware of.

MTPyle

Reaction
The relief blow off valve was wired shut. It’s a 15psi blow off and they wanted more power. Sounds like there was an error when filling with Co2 and the regulators were turned way too high. With no safety valve it built more pressure than the tank could take.

the tank is tested to 100psi so it had to have gotten higher than that.

cant blame the system when people do not follow instructions on how to use it. Anything can be dangerous if not used properly.

there was no fire, thank god. And although the injury’s are bad it’s not nearly as bad as first reports. Either way this is a bad situation and one we should learn from.

878136EB-D92D-47A6-AFB2-9AE3E86EF012.jpeg

Attachments