55gl drum truck bed fuel tower

43mod

Shouldnt this be rated for scfm for CO2 ? No way could this valve vent fluid at a decent rate.

MTPyle

I don't think this is designed to vent fluid but Co2. I understand that Co2 is fluid in the tank but when its going into the PP it is a gas.

And I think you are right about it flowing enough. If I have a 1/4 hose with 2000 psi of Co2 at full power could this valve outflow that much Co2 to keep the tank pressure in the safe zone? Not an engineer but my gut says it wont and the tank would get pretty high pressure.

What kind of valve and opening would it take to dump a broken coil getting full pressure from a Co2 tank?

Mike

MTPyle

Edit- Racer Tim made a comment that I responded to then he deleted it. Haha kind of made me look craZier than normal. Who you talking to there Mike? Haha.

Mike

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

I don't think the valve as shown would be a problem as long as no one screws with it. The pressure would open the valve at just above the rated set and pressure would escape until the value is met again. Volume would not be the issue as it takes very little volume to increase pressure in a closed system like that. And someone really should be tending the valves and watching the gauge as well when charging the vessel. The system isn't a bad design when used properly, the problem is, there will be at least 1 team at every race trying to gain an advantage by doing this, even after this accident. Stupid Humans.

Fourstroker

I don't think the valve as shown would be a problem as long as no one screws with it. The pressure would open the valve at just above the rated set and pressure would escape until the value is met again. Volume would not be the issue as it takes very little volume to increase pressure in a closed system like that. And someone really should be tending the valves and watching the gauge as well when charging the vessel. The system isn't a bad design when used properly, the problem is, there will be at least 1 team at every race trying to gain an advantage by doing this, even after this accident. Stupid Humans.
I just couldn't imagine walking away from the setup while it was charging. If you were there it would be easy to watch the tank pressure and shut off the CO2 or reduce the regulator. The few times I have been in charge of one I felt like I owed it to my team to check, double check and be there for every piece (Prepping redhead, filling hoses, pressurizing, etc. I typically ran at 13 psi and only ever had the PRV vent when one of the regulators had been bumped and I had to readjust

cynicwanderer

the only issue with venting CO2, is that when it comes out of the valve, it will cool down when the pressure reduces and might build up frost and block the valve open until the frost sublimates. but that would be a OK for that valve to fail open. our N2 dewars at work use relief valves (they have more than one per dewar) to vent pressure when the N2 warms up, and while there is frost they never get stuck open, but those valves are designed for this (i.e. venting cryogenic gases), but cryogenic gases are a whole another can of worms. I would agree with you that unless there is some component failure the system is probably pretty safe and it's more likely that a dumb*ss would have to tamper with it or be stupid while operating to get it to fail. it would be nice to have a second relief valve in that system, just to be safe.

Last edited: