6100 and stock computer

dzrt performance

Reaction
seeing how popular 6100 has become and having worked on a few of those lately, I can't help but wonder why in the world the class is still mandated to run the factory ECU. I understand the desire to contain costs using a sealed motor, but using the factory ECU isn't saving you money.

because of limited software to work with the factory computer, lack of features, limited information/data GM provides.....in the long run it isn't keeping costs down. Class 10 is also a sealed motor class but its legal to run aftermarket electronics (motec and life being the most popular) so I am wondering why 6100 stays this way.

and aftermarket ECU would make tuning and troubleshooting way easier, not to mention support that simply sint there with a factory ECU.

thoughts?

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
I am not against what you are saying but running the stock ECU is less expensive and works.

*** I do wish we could run an aftermarket ECU. BUT it is not necessary.

dzrt performance

Reaction
I am not against what you are saying but running the stock ECU is less expensive and works.

*** I do wish we could run an aftermarket ECU. BUT it is not necessary.
and I am not advocating eliminating a stock ECU. run it if you wish....just like class ten.

I agree its "cheaper" but ONLY from the standpoint of initial purchase price. and aftermarket systems have come way down in price. Who would have ever though you could get a Motec box for $1800?

Danzio John

Reaction
In our experience running the GM ECU only keeps costs down for the teams that want only the bare essentials. Once you want to have data logging for diagnosis, pit limiting, or some of the other bells and whistles most teams run it no longer is a money savings. We would love to see the ECU become open in this class just like class 10 but have not pushed it because usually people assume we have ulterior motives when we advocate for anything engine related in spec classes. Would be great to see 6100/spec tt apply technology the same way that class 10 has.

johndjmix

Reaction
If you race 6100 a few thousand on a ECU shouldn’t break you.

Love the LIFE ECU on our truck

—John

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

MTPyle

Reaction
On one hand I think sure why not use whatever ECU. But when you open it up it forces everyone to upgrade which defeats the purpose of 6100 spec class.

I would like to have pit speed circuit for sure but I like that all 6100’s have to do it manually and pay attention.

You can data log from a dash like the AEM.

So I like it the way it is. I already have plenty to work on without worrying about ECU.

Mike

TJERGENSEN

Reaction
Dont change it. We had motec on a ls3 and was hard starting. The stock has other thing that motec doesn't offer. The grass is not always green on the other side

skinny

Reaction
On one hand I think sure why not use whatever ECU. But when you open it up it forces everyone to upgrade which defeats the purpose of 6100 spec class.

I would like to have pit speed circuit for sure but I like that all 6100’s have to do it manually and pay attention.

You can data log from a dash like the AEM.

So I like it the way it is. I already have plenty to work on without worrying about ECU.

Mike
Some of the 6100 field have speed limiters (not my truck). Which brings up an interesting point. Is that legal?

MTPyle

Reaction
i don’t know how they would do it with stock ECU but maybe? I didn’t think you could and when I saw it mentioned here I figured it wasn’t possible.

Mike

dzrt performance

Reaction
Dont change it. We had motec on a ls3 and was hard starting. The stock has other thing that motec doesn't offer. The grass is not always green on the other side

I work on Motec stuff all the time. there are several parameters that need to be correctly adjusted for proper starting, but this shouldnt be an issue if properly tuned.

dzrt performance

Reaction
i don’t know how they would do it with stock ECU but maybe? I didn’t think you could and when I saw it mentioned here I figured it wasn’t possible.

Mike
its being done through the combination of a dash and PDM to cut power to the ignition coils.