6100 questions (warning noob)

so I'm just looking around reading the old spec TT/ 6100 threads and was wondering what one of these bad boys run? Most of the manufactures don't seem to list a price. It's probably one of those if you have to ask type deals. I know some of them are around $300k new and I've seen used one anywhere from $125-$200k. I've been told prep is around $30k per race from a guy that preps one. That's parts labor etc.

So if someone can give me a ballpark on the following to satisfy my curiosity that would be cool.

- Mason?
- Jimco?
- Camburg?
- Brenthel?
- Fusion?
- BMS?

Are any inherently better than the others chassis wise or is it pretty much the driver?
Also that Jimco is the baddest looking mofo ever. Not that aesthetics matter over function, but is that a custom body specific to them?

Desert Son

Bajalite needs to be mentioned. Broughtons just WON the SCORE championship with theirs. Completed every mile of the series.

Steve_Sourapas

If you want a quality part you are going to spend close to 300K for a 6100.You can cut some corners for example on Motec and Bembo's parts that are nice to have but you could be competitive without. For us we use all the same parts that we use in our TT's except motor and CPU. Sounds like an average of 30K a race is about right. Most of the competition is in BITD so I work look there to see which trucks are always on the box. We have built three of them now and we are really looking forward to running our new Mason at Parker which after it's first test is the fastest and nicest of the three so far.

Appreciate the replies although I have no clue what the last response means. So outside of the guy that builds the ultra light smaller chassis are most of the others basically the same? They all seem to be 125" wheelbase, 90-92" track width with 24-26" of travel up front. Being that they take a universal body like what a fiberwerx offers are they that drastically different?

Chris Tobin

I'm sure you will find that in the most general terms they are all very similar... but the details are what makes the difference from builder to builder.

I'm sure you will find that in the most general terms they are all very similar... but the details are what makes the difference from builder to builder.
When you say details are you talking the components like Sourapas or are you talking more handling characteristics like geometry?

Slippery P

If you are seriously considering this class I would suggest one of Pete's trucks, they really are as light as he claims and are well built.
But if it were me I would go the 6200 route with an old single seat class 1 and whoop up on the 6100 class. Just to stir the pot a bit.

Chris Tobin

When you say details are you talking the components like Sourapas or are you talking more handling characteristics like geometry?
Both... Of course you can spec the best of everything during your build with any manufacturer or they will likely have lower cost options as well.

While I have not taken measurements, I would guess that the various manufacturers all have their own individual geometry and weight distribution and such that will effect the way the truck drives and driving style to an extent.

As Jason said, would be good to look into Pete's Baja Lites and even consider renting one for your first event then if you like it have him build you one to purchase...

43mod

THREE ! means that they have three 6100 trucks if that's not impressive I don't know what is.
No doubt they have earned their toys . THREE is impressive.

Speedster

Both... Of course you can spec the best of everything during your build with any manufacturer or they will likely have lower cost options as well.

While I have not taken measurements, I would guess that the various manufacturers all have their own individual geometry and weight distribution and such that will effect the way the truck drives and driving style to an extent.

As Jason said, would be good to look into Pete's Baja Lites and even consider renting one for your first event then if you like it have him build you one to purchase...
I second this excellent idea of renting one of Pete's BajaLites until you are confident with what you want to do and how you want to do it. Pete provides all necessary pit support for the race and is a great coach to get you started on the right foot. All you have to do is show up ready to have some fun.
This is how many successful drivers & teams got their start such as Billy Wilson, Nick & Taylor Mills, Paul & Chad Broughton ....just to name a few that I have first hand knowledge of.
One of the most prominent things I have noticed in the BajaLite platform compared to other trucks I have raced or navigated in: the truck is so light and the suspension geometry is so good that it is difficult to get these things stuck. I have personally been in some gnarly silt where other trucks are buried, and we never even had to get out of the truck, even after sometimes coming to a complete stop & backing due to other trucks / obstacles preventing forward movement (yes I just knocked on some wood). I have experienced this in both the 4 cylinder version and the XR (TT Spec / 6100).
The second most prominent thing I've noticed is these trucks don't eat rod-ends, ball joints and other suspension parts like many off-road race vehicles do. If I were to guess, it may be one of the least expensive chassis to prep between races. Give a call to Zack McKinley or Chase Laven if you want additional info- those two guys probably have the most BajaLite experience outside of Pete (and they don't work for Pete, so will give unbiased viewpoints). Billy Wilson would be a good guy to call as well, do keep in mind he is selling one of his two Bajalites- only because he is now racing a Jimco Trophy Truck. The second Bajalite is being kept as a trainer / prerunner if that tells you anything about how reliable and robust this platform is.
There are many good manufacturers out there. Whomever you are leaning towards, give yourself an advantage and do the rental program with Pistol Pete a couple times to have some fun and learn what is important to you and your driving style.

Jacob7672

Nimrod de Ashcraft
Everyone has there own idea of what the perfect Spec TT should be as far as geometry, size, and weight. Even though all of the builders are pretty simular in weight, track width and wheelbase (besides Petes and Armada maybe) and those are very important numbers to look at there are huge differences in each of the builders you have listed. Its just hard to tell what they are if you are new to the sport. The slightest differences in height, length, and angles of where the arms, spindels, and links mount make a big difference in the feel you get in the truck and the way it performs. I wouldn't say its rocket science but it takes some know how for sure.

As far as parts go its up to you of course. Im in the process of building one right now and as Steve said I am also using all readily available TT parts besides the motor and computer. I think this is the best way to save money over the long haul.

Hope that helps.

Ummm....where did he ever say he was thinking of buying one or racing.
Well, I kinda am so...

You ever hear that saying our parents used "champagne taste on a beer budget?" that describes me. I couldn't buy one now if my life depended on it but I'm looking to cash out on some stock and options in 2017 and pick something up. I'm a noob Ive just been playing around with my truck, that I can't call a prerunner (I read the thread on here) because I've never pre ran a race, for the last year and I want more.

We play out on the parts of the mint 400 and Henderson 250 courses all the time being that they're in my backyard. So I'm at least familiar with some of the terrain.

I'm pretty sure I could do alright with another 8-10" of travel up front and linked out back.

johndjmix

30k per race sounds insane. What the heck are they replacing every race???

Unless you count the actually work as per hour paid time.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
WildPowerSports.com
coolermods.com

Robert Mason

Mason 6100/TTspec trucks have won the following races over the last few years with several different teams/drivers.

2013 BITD Mint 400 (Jason Ruane)

2013 BITD Vegas to Reno (Jason Ruane)

2014 BITD Mint 400 (Jason Ruane)

2014 BITD Bluewater Desert Challenge (Brett Sourapas)

2014 SCORE San Felipe 250 (Larry Connor/Jose Grijalva)

2014 SCORE Imperial Valley 250 (Christian Sourapas)

2014 SCORE Baja 1000 (Larry Connor/Jason Ruane/Sean Backus)

2015 BITD Parker 425 (Brett Sourapas)

2015 BITD Mint 400 (Brett/Christian Sourapas)

2015 BITD Vegas to Reno (Brett/Christian Sourapas)

2015 BITD Henderson 250 (Brett Sourapas)

2015 SCORE San Felipe 250 (Larry Connor)

2015 SCORE Baja Sur 500 (Larry Connor/Jason Ruane)

2015 SCORE Baja 500 (Larry Connor/ Jason Ruane)

2015 SCORE Imperial 250 (Larry Connor)

2015 SCORE Baja 1000 (Larry Connor/Jason Ruane/Sean Backus)

2016 SCORE Baja 500 (Larry Connor/Steven Eugenio)

2016 SCORE Mint 400 (Christian Sourapas)

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today