6100, TTspec, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

Reaction
looking for sway bar tips to get close. my mock up bar is way way to soft its like a 3/4 thick. 46.5 wide with 29" arms. trying to at least get close. 1.2 or 1.3. i cant find any info talking about trying to select one to get close. thanks

we wanted more sway bar so we shortened our arms to give more leverage. Helped a lot. I was worried we went too far but it ended up being just right. I think we started with a calculated strength of 60lbs and needed up around 80lbs. I don’t remember how we calculated it. We found a online sway bar calculator tool. Where you put in your arm length and sway bar thickness.

Mike

51rcr

Reaction
we wanted more sway bar so we shortened our arms to give more leverage. Helped a lot. I was worried we went too far but it ended up being just right. I think we started with a calculated strength of 60lbs and needed up around 80lbs. I don’t remember how we calculated it. We found a online sway bar calculator tool. Where you put in your arm length and sway bar thickness.

Mike
Theres a handfull on line that are easy to find. I had found a really good one with front to back and a few other things to help the guess but cant find it again.
thanks for the info.
How do you feel that difference in number made it drive? Lots more stable in the corner or just a little? notice any different behaviors in big bumps where the rears are not in time on the bump? How about corner exit feel? still Hook the same or give up some? corner entry? Thanks trying to get an idea of how much that changed the feel of the truck and traction, acceleration ect. I been trying to decide between 87 to 117 on mine. I like to drive corners harder and at the same time i like some roll and set feeling so iam thinking on the low side.
I appreciate your info.

MTPyle

Reaction
51rcr,

First off I am no expert. I tried to learn as much as I could from others on our set up. The biggest issue from too much sway bar is lifting the inside tire and losing traction.

There was one other negative thing to watch for with too much bar but I forget what it was. We went testing with Jason at SDG on our truck after we changed our arms. We brought the longer ones to try if the shorter ones were too much. Jason rode in the truck and said it was good and not too much so we left the shorter ones in. There was something he said it would do if it had too much bar and ours was not doing it at all. Sorry I do not remember what that was.

Based on how ours changed from 60 to 80 I would bet 117 would be too much on our truck.

Our truck leaned a little more than I liked. It actually felt like it was going to roll over before and now its super solid. Ours sits down good on exit now and holds really well. the more gas we give it on exit the better it holds. But we changed a lot when we changed the sway bar. All I know is the money we spent with SDG was the best money we have spent on the truck. There are so many variables in suspension set up that it takes a pro like Jason to help dial it in. Having him ride in our truck was really helpful. He knows what he is dong and has been in just about every truck made.

Mike

51rcr

Reaction
51rcr,

First off I am no expert. I tried to learn as much as I could from others on our set up. The biggest issue from too much sway bar is lifting the inside tire and losing traction.

There was one other negative thing to watch for with too much bar but I forget what it was. We went testing with Jason at SDG on our truck after we changed our arms. We brought the longer ones to try if the shorter ones were too much. Jason rode in the truck and said it was good and not too much so we left the shorter ones in. There was something he said it would do if it had too much bar and ours was not doing it at all. Sorry I do not remember what that was.

Based on how ours changed from 60 to 80 I would bet 117 would be too much on our truck.

Our truck leaned a little more than I liked. It actually felt like it was going to roll over before and now its super solid. Ours sits down good on exit now and holds really well. the more gas we give it on exit the better it holds. But we changed a lot when we changed the sway bar. All I know is the money we spent with SDG was the best money we have spent on the truck. There are so many variables in suspension set up that it takes a pro like Jason to help dial it in. Having him ride in our truck was really helpful. He knows what he is dong and has been in just about every truck made.

Mike
good description on the roll amount it made. A friends truck broke and arm and it really rolled. We couldnt believe how far it would roll but still do ok. His is significantly lighter then mine so its harder to gauge off of it.
Thanks for the info it helps me get a starting point. my arms are adjustable and it will cycle in all holes so that gives me about 20 pounds to play with holes also.
Appreciate something to help get me closer.

Vdrive

Reaction
We will have our new to us truck at Parker. We will see how that race goes and go from there.
That is a sweet truck, it won 4 races in a row in 2017 with Preston Schmid at the wheel. Including the Vegas to Reno that we won by 45 min. It’s really well sorted out and loves the rough stuff. It’s got gear works trans and rear gear in it too. Hopefully we will see you in Rocky Point in it too!!

StrunkBro

Reaction
That is a sweet truck, it won 4 races in a row in 2017 with Preston Schmid at the wheel. Including the Vegas to Reno that we won by 45 min. It’s really well sorted out and loves the rough stuff. It’s got gear works trans and rear gear in it too. Hopefully we will see you in Rocky Point in it too!!
Vdrive my brother will be driving it in Rocky point this weekend. My dad will also be running our old truck down there too.

Vdrive

Reaction
Good luck this weekend!! That new truck is partially aquatic and crossed a Rio during a race down there at 36” deep or more complete with swift water section. Super scary, back of the raptor we took the pic from was floating. No water made it in the cab of the race truck and it didn’t hiccup at all.

MTPyle

Reaction
Whats your guys thoughts on Turning brakes for 6100 trucks?

I have been thinking about adding one but have never used one in a truck. I have had turning brakes in sand buggies but never a truck.

Are they worth it?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
I was looking at Travis Chase new Mason and was thinking maybe we need that red handle. Haha.

Travis truck is a work of art. If you guys have not seen it check it out on Masons IG.
B91A9E8E-0CBD-43EF-8893-A219E2D6F6D3.jpeg

MTPyle

Reaction
Wait... What?

You can have a two speed under drive? since when?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Two Speed under drives are not legal in BITD or SCORE. Thank God LOL I thought I was going to have to buy a new under drive.

See web link 2 Speed Underdrive banned

Mike

Vdrive

Reaction
Mike,
At the BITD BlueWater race the tech director lined everybody up after the 2nd day finish and called out 2 of the competitors for having
a 2 speed- shift on the fly underdrive. This Makes a 6 speed transmission. He said next year 2021 this would be ruled out and you would
get a DQ for using the Weisman Selectable Underdrive. I have not read the new rule if any to know for sure if this was just a threat or
if its acutually on the books. Im going to let you guess who Ran the 2 speed underdrive for the entire 2020 season.....

I would refer to the handle as a "rear brake" handle. You wouldn't want to confuse the buggy dorks with open diff's on what it actually does.

Im going to crawl back under my rock now.
Later