6100, TTspec, Baja Truck only thread

JDDurfey

Reaction
The Camburg handle looks nice. Who else makes a kit they sell?

Camburg Race Series Hydraulic Hand Brake Kit | Camburg Engineering
So do you connect this to the front brakes or to the rear brakes? With a spooled diff it isn't exactly a "turning brake" like a sand buggy uses.

Off topic, but I am going to build a 64 C-60 with a Cummins that I have and I am going to put a handbrake in it to make it into a burnout machine! My truck has the hand parking brake handle in it that I will use and no one will be the wiser.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
So do you connect this to the front brakes or to the rear brakes? With a spooled diff it isn't exactly a "turning brake" like a sand buggy uses.

Off topic, but I am going to build a 64 C-60 with a Cummins that I have and I am going to put a handbrake in it to make it into a burnout machine! My truck has the hand parking brake handle in it that I will use and no one will be the wiser.
It locks the rears, start the car in the direction you want it to cut, rip the handle and swing away. Had an old CNC one on our old TT.

Vdrive

Reaction

Sand buggy turning brakes push fluid to either right or left rear tire to get the thing to turn
Also the rear Diff is open on a buggy usually so it stop either tire no issues.
The turning brake handle in a sandcar is a push/pull or there are two levers, one to control each rear tire.

Get a Push pull lever brake set up for your truck and push to use both front brakes and pull to use both rear.
That would be so sweet to do some drift work in..

MTPyle

Reaction
You guys are correct, its a hand brake. Thanks for clarifying. Turning brakes are for buggies.

And yeah we dont want to confuse the buggy dorks. LOL I think its OK to call them that here and give them crap, this is a truck thread. I once posted in the Class 5 thread and got kicked out. Haha

I think we are going to add the Camburg one. Unless someone knows of a better one? the Camburg looks well made.

And it could be a rear brake if the pedals fail for some reason. So nice backup.

Plus if I get one I can say that I would not have blown that first corner at last years Mint if I had it. So that enough reason to get it. Haha

Mike

JDDurfey

Reaction
We had a hand brake in ours . It seems to work but it also made it very weird to bleed the brakes. Sometimes it was good Sometimes it would not bleed. We took it out. Kyle seems to turn just fine without it.
I've watched a lot of in car videos and I see a lot of trucks with the hand brake and they seem to be rarely used or barely even touched. I think it is funny to see the SST trucks using them on pavement when they are not sliding the back of the truck around. Maybe I am weird, but I don't see the point of them most of the time.

After working on older medium duty trucks that have a master cylinder on the firewall that then powers a vacuum assisted master cylinder down on the frame I can see how bleeding could be a chore. It was a pain in the butt to get all the air out of those systems too.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
They are great for low-speed tight and hairpin turns.

But this is desert racing, not rally.

Rally cars use them all the time to get setup in the corners but not as important in the desert.

51rcr

Reaction
depends on you preference and if you used to driving with one or in that manner. like pitching something sideways. You will see lots of the short course drivers that desert race use them lots to set the truck. they have gotten fairly common. trucks dont turn well on slow tight stuff. give that stick a yank and a flick of the wheel and your in tokyo drift mode. oh and hope the truck dont hook. trucks plant good and go when powers on so sideways isnt always faster. plus sidewall damage risk.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Remember some of the shortcourse trucks had a split brake pedals that would lock both or just the rears to help with tight corners that allowed the fronts to keep steering. I think it's the same concept.

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
I didn't have a hand brake in my first truck but figured I'd put one in this because it was easier to do during the built than add it as an after thought. I can always remove it if i don't like it. I never felt i really needed it in the old truck but after talking to a few guys it not only helps with setting up corners but helps settle the rear if you get into a side hop situation.

McCredie A

Reaction
I didn't have a hand brake in my first truck but figured I'd put one in this because it was easier to do during the built than add it as an after thought. I can always remove it if i don't like it. I never felt i really needed it in the old truck but after talking to a few guys it not only helps with setting up corners but helps settle the rear if you get into a side hop situation.

Good reply. Never thought of using it for trail braking when the back hops. Which one did you end up going with?

Bro-Dozer Motorsports

Reaction
I found in my old truck when we put the hand brake in we could set the pedal bias up to favor the front a little more to actually slow the truck vs. needing the bias more to the rear to help pitch the truck. We could charge deeper into the corner then brake later relying on the front to actually slow the truck, quick tug on the ole fun stick to pitch it and BAM back on the loud pedal. Did not work for every corner but the high speed flat stuff it was killer.

When we were building out the new truck we just simply ran out of space in the cab for one with the 8into1 collector in the center consol. The only time I have really missed it is at Glen Helen for some of those back canyon 180* rippers. We have been talking about McGuyvering one in there eventually.

The hand brake in our drift cars is used totally different, you use the hand brake to help position the vehicle mid drift and or to help initiate (if ya aint got the weight transfer skills). Slowing or stopping the rear tires via hand brake will extend the drift straighter if you initiate too shallow, throttle rotates/pulls you forward and foot brake backs you up. Some of this transfers over but not all of it. Definitely takes a run or two to try and forget my truck habits when we are at the track.

MTPyle

Reaction
good discussion. Thanks for everyones input.

I am going ahead with it and can decide how to us it or not. I did some research and there is a way to plumb it and a way to do it wrong. Hopefully I get it right. haha

I like to set my brake bias w little forward for better breaking like Bro-Dozer said. So for me to get the back around it takes throttle. Sometimes its hard to convince my foot to hit the gas when I am pushing out of a corner. I think a hit on the hand brake would help git it around then I can get on the gas. This is what happened to me at the Mint400. I started sliding in the mud with a push and did not have the balls to hit the skinny pedal. So I had to commit to blowing the corner. Actually I think I hit the gas and it did not come around so I panicked. It was not pretty. LOL Glad most of you guys didn't see it.

But at least I beat Herling to the corner LOL

Ok because I have no shame I will share the clip. You guys tell me if a hand brake could have helped?

stephenrjking

Reaction
Well, you could have gotten halfway around and rolled up the embankment, potentially blocked further competitors from properly negotiating the turn, whilst rendering the Whipple Superchargers sponsorship logo unreadable due to its upside-down orientation, negating the value of the free media you would have gotten as the livestream showed subsequent competitors passing your overturned truck. So I would consider continuing on with only a slight delay to be a plus.

51rcr

Reaction
good discussion. Thanks for everyones input.

I am going ahead with it and can decide how to us it or not. I did some research and there is a way to plumb it and a way to do it wrong. Hopefully I get it right. haha

I like to set my brake bias w little forward for better breaking like Bro-Dozer said. So for me to get the back around it takes throttle. Sometimes its hard to convince my foot to hit the gas when I am pushing out of a corner. I think a hit on the hand brake would help git it around then I can get on the gas. This is what happened to me at the Mint400. I started sliding in the mud with a push and did not have the balls to hit the skinny pedal. So I had to commit to blowing the corner. Actually I think I hit the gas and it did not come around so I panicked. It was not pretty. LOL Glad most of you guys didn't see it.

But at least I beat Herling to the corner LOL

Ok because I have no shame I will share the clip. You guys tell me if a hand brake could have helped?

got more attention then if ya just wheeled around it. ya even got some 2wheel action for extra awe.

MTPyle

Reaction
51rcr,

Thats not the kind of attention I want. Haha But yes there were some good crowd reaction. Everyone loves to watch someone screw up. The craziest part was having to thread the needle with the K rail and photogs.

But would a hand brake helped? I think it would.

also more talent would help. LOL

Mike

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
The rear brake handles help a ton and are also fun to use when playing with the truck. In racing they are not needed that often but when you are in the right areas they work well.

Camburg_Handbrake_Red.jpg

MTPyle

Reaction
Jerry

I placed a order for a bitchen black one of yours yesterday on the web site.

I am excited to try it out. There are many times in a super tight corner that I would love to get the back around and set up better.

it can’t really hurt to have one. You don’t have to use it but nice to have it has option.

Mike