6100, TTspec, Baja Truck only thread

51rcr

Reaction
i would love a truggy. buggies the trans axle is the big money and i cant just come across one of those. I can come across a TH400 cheap and i can build a rear axle.

JDDurfey

Reaction
i would love a truggy. buggies the trans axle is the big money and i cant just come across one of those. I can come across a TH400 cheap and i can build a rear axle.
Strip the body off a 6100 and you have a truggy. There is a 4 seat 6100 project for sale in the classifieds. It would make a good truggy. I like truggies too. I co-drove one in the 07 Baja 1000. We lost the engine at San Juanico and it has been sitting since in Houston TX. I hate that it is sitting because it was a pretty good car. It was originally a 4 seater that was switched to a 3 seater. SCORE would not let us race with the third seat in, which I didn't understand.

51rcr

Reaction
Strip the body off a 6100 and you have a truggy. There is a 4 seat 6100 project for sale in the classifieds. It would make a good truggy. I like truggies too. I co-drove one in the 07 Baja 1000. We lost the engine at San Juanico and it has been sitting since in Houston TX. I hate that it is sitting because it was a pretty good car. It was originally a 4 seater that was switched to a 3 seater. SCORE would not let us race with the third seat in, which I didn't understand.
that was my original plan with mine. Then the 6100 class actually come to reality. Mine come with a body and i made a mold of it so i can at least make more. I may still make a truggy style front or jeep/land cruiser style hood since my buddy makes and sells them. So many think a body looks cool. Not me, i like open wheels and truggy. Body is lots of expensive wraping paper that gets destroyed.

MTPyle

Reaction
Mint 400 added 6800

6800 is old 6100 rules. This class is also in BITD and Legacy

6800 rules

Dezert00Taco

Reaction
Got another 6100 off the table and almost all welded up. Going to start adding in all the fun stuff next. The new owner is trying to finish it by the end of the year.
6513529D-0A7D-4749-BF3A-54210EA52392.jpeg

MTPyle

Reaction
Critter

I was told a couple weeks ago Legacy was doing 6800. But they may have changed. I will try and find out.

Mike

critter81

Reaction
Can you send the link to BITD rules and Legacy rules, cuz, I got a 6800 truck right now and we have the trans and rear end out making decisions and a motor paid for but not shipped yet so would someone make a damn decision

When I talked with Legacy they mentioned I needed to call the folks at trophy light to see if they would let my truck race and that they were controlling the rules....If so that seems odd the race series should have the rules packages and decisions made 12 - 24 months in advance...

Last edited:

critter81

Reaction
Critter

I was told a couple weeks ago Legacy was doing 6800. But they may have changed. I will try and find out.

Mike
Thats what I thought, but when I called them they said it was going to be in the trophylite stuff... and I am not going to try to invade a spec class with a Geiser truck, that just seems kinda like a bad plan...

MTPyle

Reaction
Yes it’s technically a Trophylite class for the new TL R8 but any old 6100 trucks can race in it. It’s a step up class from the R4 and full size truck. TL does the tech inspection.

Mike

critter81

Reaction
I thought TLR8 was a spec chassis? built by them.... If I can race an older Geiser in that class then it's not a spec chassis class... Sooooo, I am not sure I want to play in someone's sand box if I am not 100% in the spirit of the rules... That seems like a great way to be protested right out of tech or given a hard time in tech... It seems like the old saying'' You can come and race that thing all you want but if you do well we are going to hassle you" I have been down that road for over 20 years on the pavement...

MTPyle

Reaction
The rules for 6800 are more open then 6000 R4 rules.

there is no way to have a class for just the R8 and the cost to make the R8 into a 6100 is too great. TL needs a class that an affordable option for full size V8. So they decided to adopt the old 6100 rules. Everything else is open. You can use whatever shocks, seats, tire brand, bodies, lights, etc.. just need 430hp, 37” tires, truck body, TH400, solid rear axle, and no underdrive.

fact is the 6100 class just got too expensive and honestly too competitive for a entry level guy to play in. The transition from 6800 to 6100 will be easy.

the reason why 6100 as a TL class did not work was they tried to control too many things and make it a true spec. This is not the case with 6800. It’s open spec.

I know of a few guys building 6800 now and I think there will be as many as 10 trucks racing by mid season, maybe more.

Mike

critter81

Reaction
When I called and talked with Legacy, they said that TL was making the rules for the class not Legacy and it seemed kind of odd to me to have a race org turn the rules for a class over to the 3rd party

MTPyle

Reaction
That’s how TL and Jeepspeed is now.

Mike

critter81

Reaction
I know that's why I am concerned about spending time and money to play in the TL sandbox only to have the guy who is making the rules decide he does not want me to race against the trucks he is building..... I have never been involved in an race org that would let that happen... It just seems odd to me..

51rcr

Reaction
I know that's why I am concerned about spending time and money to play in the TL sandbox only to have the guy who is making the rules decide he does not want me to race against the trucks he is building..... I have never been involved in an race org that would let that happen... It just seems odd to me..
get the small motor and tire race any of them and more options. big motor, tires and or underdrive race the other.
I have small tires, no under drive but i got the higher HP motor. Not sure why but thats what i went with. i suppose i could make a reason like. less power robbing rotating weight from tires and underdrive and all the weight to support the tires. haha Reality 7200 truck so cant fit big tires and dont have the hubs and all to support them. Which comes back to spec class and what it takes to rund a 40 vs a 37 or less.

scracing

Reaction
Finally got my truck done. I have had it out a handful of times and it is scary fast. I am looking forward to seeing how we do against teams with unlimited budgets. I love this class because it is a driver class and we all have the same HP. I still have the 430HP engine in it and I am tempted to run it against 525hp engines. We ran a 1450 Ranger in Class 7 for years. We had 203hp at the wheels racing side by side against trucks with twice the HP. I built the truck to be inexpensive to prep and fun to drive. See you all at the finish line because I know I will be there, will you ? JK My dad always told me, you must finish the race first, in order to win the race.

Attachments

• 20201205_124303_resized.jpg
    20201205_124303_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20201206_151513_897.jpg
    IMG_20201206_151513_897.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 20201205_124231_resized.jpg
    20201205_124231_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147

MTPyle

Reaction
SCracing,

Nice truck and great job getting it done. Not many people know how many details and work go into these trucks. Your truck is perfect for 6800 if you choose to race it. Not trying to scare you away from 6100 but I doubt you will get into the top 10 with 430hp engine.

We ran our 39" tires with our 430hp engine at Rage at the river last year and were against most 535hp engines. We could not keep up and we knew the course well. I think we finished 7th and was the fastest out out of the smaller engine.

Also just FYI we were out moving tires around and we have 5 cast TT Method wheels with decent (80%) 39" Toyo MT on them if anyone is interested. I need to list them in the classifieds

Mike