• Forum membership has its advantages....

6100, TTspec, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

Vdrive

Looking closer I see you have panels between the exhaust and the shocks. That’s good. I see a lot of exhaust go right next to rear shocks and I have to think that creates more heat and causes rear shocks to fade faster.

We recently had our going out the side and turned up a little. When they were turned up it was so so loud. Could not hear each other at all and it just messed with your brain. Hehe so we have had them faced 3 different ways and the difference is huge. I bet yours is really nice. Great set up.

Mike

notime

NTR Films media guy
heres a small recap of TT Spec at the past Baja400

MTPyle

Notime, thanks for posting was fun to watch.

We are finally starting our tear down for Baja 500 prep. Lots to do and we want time to test and make sure we got our issues solved.

Mike
5D507B75-D838-4F5B-8429-B07268C2BE69.jpg

IMG_0080.jpeg

notime

NTR Films media guy
Notime, thanks for posting was fun to watch.
no problem, we chase and shoot videos to a TT and TT spec and class 10 teams, so were always around, and figured why not upload all the shoots for all cars we got, right now im working on the SF 250 2019 for various classes, ill put the link when i post on youtube and FB pages

MTPyle

I think we are crazy but got the engine out to install the LT2 intake manifold. We have to turn the engine upside down to make sure no rocks or dirt go into the heads, so it has to come out. All of this for 12-15hp. LOL The long road to the Baja 500.

Mike
IMG_0108.jpeg
IMG_0109.jpeg

Slippery P

I think we are crazy but got the engine out to install the LT2 intake manifold. We have to turn the engine upside down to make sure no rocks or dirt go into the heads, so it has to come out. All of this for 12-15hp. LOL The long road to the Baja 500.

MikeView attachment 211834View attachment 211835
Only for a HP gain or so you can reverse the intake?

MTPyle

Slippery

I think we are keeping the intake forward. With it where it is we have two large K&N filters and get cold air. So far the filters have stayed pretty clean up there.

We haven’t been in Baja silt yet With our new setup but my thoughts are the silt is worse in the cab than behind front bumper. Having double the filter area has to be a good thing.

When we ran Baja last with the one filter in the cab with an outer foam and in a box this is what it looked like. So that didn’t work. Haha. and as a side not even with the filter caved in and this full the intake tube was pretty clean and that engine ran all season fine and at the end of the season had really clean cylinder walls and good compression.

Mike

Attachments

jon coleman

Slippery

I think we are keeping the intake forward. With it where it is we have two large K&N filters and get cold air. So far the filters have stayed pretty clean up there.

We haven’t been in Baja silt yet With our new setup but my thoughts are the silt is worse in the cab than behind front bumper. Having double the filter area has to be a good thing.

When we ran Baja last with the one filter in the cab with an outer foam and in a box this is what it looked like. So that didn’t work. Haha. and as a side not even with the filter caved in and this full the intake tube was pretty clean and that engine ran all season fine and at the end of the season had really clean cylinder walls and good compression.

Mike
didn't work, hmmmm, I would say it definitely worked, in cab is best If you have it in a strategic location, way up and under dash overhang helps keep from sucking water, also i had a large piece of foam, fuel cell type, covering air filter area to act like a dirt car radiator shaker screen, work very well

MTPyle

Jon

when I said it didn’t work well what I meant was it got so clogged that the engine would barely run. We lost so much power that we kept getting stuck in the silt which made the problem worse. Haha. Yes the filter worked but the location and set up didn’t. Although maybe there is not a great way to protect against the Baja silt, it’s evil. Haha.

Mike

jon coleman

Jon

when I said it didn’t work well what I meant was it got so clogged that the engine would barely run. We lost so much power that we kept getting stuck in the silt which made the problem worse. Haha. Yes the filter worked but the location and set up didn’t. Although maybe there is not a great way to protect against the Baja silt, it’s evil. Haha.

Mike
yup, im Never a smart a$$, silt is a mo fo, but Dont forget about water intrusion when a/f is in eng compartment, that shaker screen i ran was installed dry, no oil, all it was for was direct silt blasts , deflect it to floor boards & out the low point rubber flapper ports, the oiled up k&n did all the important work, mine never got plugged , you kinda want stages of filtration, not just One catch all doing All the work.cant wait till' i have this problem again.;)

Slippery P

Slippery

Mike
Don’t give up on the LT1, it is a great engine. There was 70HP left on the table just in tuning when we did our development for a 6100 package. Unfortunately the ECU will always be a restriction.

MTPyle

Oh we are fully committed to the LT1. We have a few more tweaks and refinements to make it even better. It’s been a long learning process but I think it will be worth it. I can say that know after the sting of the past DNf’s have worn off. Hehe

Mike

Bro_Gill

I think that filter would have worked just fine in a street app, but since you are racing in dirt, surface area needs to be larger to continue working once dirt start to appear. It wasn't filters fault, it was the engineers fault who thought that was enough for the conditions. In a race situation, location really doesn't matter as much. That is a vacuum sucking in air, dust will find it wherever you put it.

MTPyle

Haha "Engineer"? I don't think there were any actual engineers used in design process of this truck. Sure as heck are none working on it now LOL And if there was they would have a hard time figuring out the filter system for a Baja race truck, pretty sure they dont teach that in engineering school.

Having two large filters is for sure better than one. After the Mint last year our 1 filter was pretty dirty. This year with 2 they look pretty dang clean. So in theory we should be better off.

And I agree location is not as important and surface area. When you hit silt it goes everywhere. But when you look at videos of trucks going thru still the front behind the pumpers stays relatively clean. At least thats my thoughts, but not proven or really looked at in detail. Just since we moved ours to the front I have paid attention to videos of silt more.

I know most trucks have the filter box (or can) in the cab so I assume thats overall the safest place. But there are negatives to them in the cab. Longer intake tubes, turns and curves, and heat. And the Cab is a low pressure area which can suck dust in the cab. The front is high pressure and cleans the air faster. The only negative in the front is following in the dust you get more. But that same dust from following is getting in the cab.

Since I started to test and understand intake systems I have looked at a lot of trucks that have some serious issues with the system they have. Lots of the 6100 fleet is 15-20hp short on power from the intake system they are using. And in silt they still get clogged so they fall off just as much. It would be interesting to dyno some trucks before and after a race to see how much they fall off. Obviously not happening.

Mike

Vdrive

Vdrive

Looking closer I see you have panels between the exhaust and the shocks. That’s good. I see a lot of exhaust go right next to rear shocks and I have to think that creates more heat and causes rear shocks to fade faster.

We recently had our going out the side and turned up a little. When they were turned up it was so so loud. Could not hear each other at all and it just messed with your brain. Hehe so we have had them faced 3 different ways and the difference is huge. I bet yours is really nice. Great set up.

Mike
Thank you! The truck is amazing on the 40" tires..... I was able to go run around here in AZ and put 150 miles on her over the weekend.
We did a bunch of water crossing runs 10" deep, both slow-(10 mph and you dont get wet) and fast to see what happens, I ran across the creek and back 15 times.
All was good no belt slip or electrical glitching. Our airfilter is in the cab under the dash and it did not get too wet during any of the splashing- this would be an argument to not have the air filter under the hood. Here are some pics of the interior of the truck. Its a early geiser tt that I bought off RDC here and went thru everything:bare chassis prep, 6100 motor, gearworks trans with TW underdrive, Danzio wiring with life racing PDU and Keypad, 4.5 kings all around and a huge fuel cell.
I had never driven a Geiser prior to owning this truck and after driving a handful of 6100 and 7200, 8000 race trucks I now know they are not all created equal..
Looking forward to running BITD as soon as we can. Hope to see a big field of 6100's!

I need new window nets made, does anyone have a contact?
Thanks!

IMG_0653.jpgIMG_0651.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0654.jpg

Attachments

MTPyle

Truck looks really good.

I would use Hostyle for window nets. Dan has some smaller hole screen thats really easy to see thru. We have PRP nets but when we replace them we will go to Hostyle for sure. You can find them on FB.

Just got the LT2 intake today and it can only face backwards. LOL I was told it would face both ways. So now to get the HP increase we need to put our intake back in the cab. Haha it never ends, why cant things just work.

Mike

jon coleman

nice locale for a-f, same as i had it, ( up under dash)then i stuck a 1inch thick16-20" square chunk of dry , course, fuel cell foam as a blast shield for h20& stuff, it actually was always Very dirty after race

notime

NTR Films media guy
new video San Felipe 250 2019 recap