6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

Reaction
Fast tire changes are great but the key is .....no flats and no problems run a clean race. You just do not hear the class winner say well we got 3 flats and bent a driveshaft ect. Top 3 cars or trucks normally run flat free no issues. Used to be you could run a safe pace and save equipment and get good results. Not anymore you have to push it to the limit run a clean race with no flats to get a top 3. One flat no matter how fast! you can go from the lead car to 10th place. It's just that competitive now.

I agree with you except the reason the top finishers are not having issues like that is because they qualify way better than we did. Once you qualify 16th you have no choice but to make passes to have a chance. So you get in risky situations.

I would love to be able to just stick with the guy in front of me and not have to pass them. When you start behind slower guys you have no choice but to push harder. At least that was my strategy at the last race. We planned to push and pass at least two trucks.

But yes you need a clean day to get on the box with over 20 racers in your class.

Mike

SMS81

Reaction
correction. My chassis is from 2012 and was state of the art CAD designed and cut at the time.

Since then it was widened and greatly modified. Nothing really from 2012 on our truck.

I know the public perception is one thing but I can absolutely tell you that on the race course we are not slower than many of the new tech trucks. We pass then all the time at speed. Even in my tire change video you can see we were slightly ahead of Osborn in his Mason or at least holding our own behind another truck. We had caught a new Brenthal within 15 miles of the start. After our tire change I passed 5 vehicles at speed. All of which were newer trucks with “new” Tech. And I am not that fast of a driver. Talk to the guys that passed us at speed at Legacy. oh wait there wasn’t any. LOL

The good thing about your position and statements is it makes me want to get on the podium with our truck even more. Really can’t wait until you get your New tech Armarda and I beat you in our Dinosaur. Hehe

Mike
Honestly I thought your truck was much older. Could have sworn we moved it out of the way in 2009 Parker 425. Old age does that! Jim Riley is a good dude.

43mod

Reaction
No dog here . Do Armada trucks win ? I just dont see it mentioned here like others . Damn nice trucks and would be glad to have an old slow one for $100k 😊

SMS81

Reaction
No dog here . Do Armada trucks win ? I just dont see it mentioned here like others . Damn nice trucks and would be glad to have an old slow one for $100k 😊
Messer and Chrisman have had good success with theirs, I believe one was leading day 1 of Baja Nevada? Letner did good in one, he has also proven to be one of the elite drivers as well. I would definitely categorize it as a competitive truck. I would say Herbst is the cream of the crop right now, but it’s not all just the truck.

BHollander

Reaction
TSCO 6100 have a very good track record vs quantity built. If I had budget for 6100 John Vance at TSCO would be my first and probably only call.

10 shot

Reaction
I think a top 3 driver could win in any of the trucks built today unless the truck is just complete junk. it's more the driver than the truck. Take a ok driver he is not going to start winning in a new state of the art herbst truck. But take a top 3 driver and he can wheel most any truck built to a podium. That driver Also knows how he wants the truck to handle and the ok driver just drives it as is no knowing the difference. It's all experience.

MTPyle

Reaction
For sure driver is number one most significant factor.

We are Excited to have our truck in a place we can test and practice in often.

TSCO trucks look amazing. If I had the money I think I would buy a new TSCO.

Mike

jcorsico

Reaction
I think a top 3 driver could win in any of the trucks built today unless the truck is just complete junk.
I agree. There isn't a meaningful difference in performance from chassis to chassis. Big block / small block. 4WD / 2WD. New / old. Geiser / Mason / ID / Jimco / Brenthel / Armada / Herbst. There are all close enough in performance that the chassis is not a big factor in determining the outcome.

Don't get me wrong - a brand new AWD truck with a big block will gain you a little bit of time here and there. But not enough that you can take an average driver and expect him to podium because he has a brand new AWD truck (Team C proved this; also see Cantina).

calstyl2

Reaction
Or Jergensen in a Mason or Geiser, he's shown the Brenthel's trucks are legit, Kyle Craft also, they make a good truck and sell a ton to the weekend warrior who wants to race.
Rob Mac is just smooth fast, Day 2 of Baja Nevada he was driving the Corona truck and you could see the smooth fast style he has, he's loyal to Geiser makes their equipment sell.

MTPyle

Reaction
Has anyone done any research on truck brands and finishing rates?

would be interesting to have this data. Would also be good to have a list of current spec truck builders and the cost range for a new one. I hear numbers all over the place and I think there may be more builders than I can think of on the top of my head.

Here is what I can think of for current truck builders that make specific spec truck models. Who am I missing?

In no specific order

Mason
Herbst
TSCO
Geiser
Brenthal
Racer
Fusion
Camburg
Jimco
Alumicraft

I am sure I am forgetting some major ones. Haha

Mike

Edit-added two more from ones below.

Last edited:

MTPyle

Reaction
Oh forgot about Armarda

I will go and see how much time it takes to list all the top 5 from BITD, SCORE, for the last two years and see if I can get thru it. Should be interesting

if it’s not too much work I will add SNORE

Mike

Ikaika

Reaction
Has anyone done any research on truck brands and finishing rates?
It is my belief that the data will be skewed........for example........lets say there are 5 Mason 6100 / TT Specs and 1 Geiser 6100 / TT Spec at an event......the Mason equipment will automatically have a 5 to 1 advantage for a positive outcome.