6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
The engine we took out was the one we had at Legacy Baja 600 that would not run at the end of the race. After weeks of trouble shooting we found the engine ECM was fried from us welding on it. We put a new ECM and it ran good on the dyno. Went testing and 40 miles in the pushrod broke. Took it to Turnkey and they replaced the pushrod and rocker. They thought it was all good. We raced BOR Knolls and the engine grenades 40 miles in.

So yes this was the engine with the broke pushrod that kept us from racing V2R. Also kept us from racing the B400.

Now we get to come race Laughlin which we love that course. Keith I wish I was going to be in the truck so I could hopeful nerf you in your 6200. LOL We all have our goals.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Yeah but we made some changes in our cooling system and run super cool now. at Legacy 600 water never got over 220. But Laughlin is hard on stuff and you are pinned all the way up the hill.

Trying to go over qualifying and race set up for gearing and tires. Lots of options and variables. We have 3 gear sets and two tires we can run. Have spent hours going over what we will do. But at the same time we are using this race to get Carson some seat time for B1K so may just run our B1K set up to make it simple and consistent for him.

Connor will qualify and race day 1 and Carson day 2. I may put a rookie flag on the truck for Carson for day 2. Don't want anyone I have pissed off on here to rough Carson up on day 2.

Mike

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Yea that course is crazy how it can destroy a car in a few laps. More dnf in that race than a parker 425. Very light entry list. The course might be in ok shape on day 2

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
we hope the course is a mess. The rougher the course the better our truck will do. We are weak on clean short course berms. Faster on torn up messes.

Looks like 21 6100's not a huge field but decent. Then I think 3 6200's But looks like they are putting buggy dorks all together. Draw was just posted.

Laughlin draw

Mike

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Yea I saw that . 2 class 1 cars is probably the worst ever. More has a race on the same weekend and baja this weekend kinda waters it down.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Too many races on top of each other, the 6100 races there are some of the best all year too. The rain race 2 years ago was hands down the best racing in 6100 Ive ever seen.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
that was the craziest race weekend ever. What a mess LOL Here is a YT video with some highlight clips of us that weekend. The first clip of us with the hood up went viral. It's all over IG. The commentary was by RDC's own Robert Campbell. He didn't know it was us as we were covered with mud.

Mike

51rcr

RDC Crypto
Yeah but we made some changes in our cooling system and run super cool now. at Legacy 600 water never got over 220. But Laughlin is hard on stuff and you are pinned all the way up the hill.

Trying to go over qualifying and race set up for gearing and tires. Lots of options and variables. We have 3 gear sets and two tires we can run. Have spent hours going over what we will do. But at the same time we are using this race to get Carson some seat time for B1K so may just run our B1K set up to make it simple and consistent for him.

Connor will qualify and race day 1 and Carson day 2. I may put a rookie flag on the truck for Carson for day 2. Don't want anyone I have pissed off on here to rough Carson up on day 2.

Mike
what did your LS run for temps?

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
that Jimc0 tt number 1 is the coolest, i remember R.Ramirez letting me getta peek at it being constructed at the old shop just before they moved, just had the new fuel cell mocked up, w0w , it was all i could do not to drool all over it and act like a giddy school girl, still my favorite tt, next to' arnold'

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
We were testing in Barstow yesterday. Went OK but had a few issues.

One of which is we had a air pocket in the cooling system or the thermostat is failing.

So Connor was up on a hill by I-15 waiting for it to cool. We hear someone on the radio call 6122. I thought it was one of my guys in the pit. The conversation goes on troubleshooting the cooling issue. The guy says sounds like your thermostat.

I look around and nobody in our trucks was on the radio. It was a random racer on the highway most likely coming back from B400. I told Connor that wasn’t us and he said he thought it was us, we all laughed.

Pretty funny. Thanks to whoever that was trying to help us out. You may end up being right.

So we are taking out the thermostat and putting in the plug. Just eliminate that possibility.

Also had what we hope is linkage issues on the trans. It’s not shifting right.

Other than that the truck was feeling good and making good power. Ran 114 down the long road and that’s exactly what it did before.

Mike

EL ROMAN

RDC Crypto
@MTPyle Not trying to call anything out, I'm just trying to get more info, but how is the process for engine repairs and still making it 6100 legal? BITD rules are pretty generic and state "if engine fails, a new engine must be purchased through Turn Key." But you mentioned damaged rod and head gasket that were repaired. Is it something Turn Key manages from their end? Do we know what can and cannot be repaired? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Argentino

RDC Crypto
We were testing in Barstow yesterday. Went OK but had a few issues.

One of which is we had a air pocket in the cooling system or the thermostat is failing.

So Connor was up on a hill by I-15 waiting for it to cool. We hear someone on the radio call 6122. I thought it was one of my guys in the pit. The conversation goes on troubleshooting the cooling issue. The guy says sounds like your thermostat.

I look around and nobody in our trucks was on the radio. It was a random racer on the highway most likely coming back from B400. I told Connor that wasn’t us and he said he thought it was us, we all laughed.

Pretty funny. Thanks to whoever that was trying to help us out. You may end up being right.

So we are taking out the thermostat and putting in the plug. Just eliminate that possibility.

Also had what we hope is linkage issues on the trans. It’s not shifting right.

Other than that the truck was feeling good and making good power. Ran 114 down the long road and that’s exactly what it did before.

Mike
Here's a cool tool that might be of use...

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
El Roman,

Very good question, thanks for asking.

You a re correct no BITD engine is to be "rebuilt". But Turnkey can make minor repairs and re tag. Which is what they did for us, but they consider us a development partner on the new engine package so thats why they are doing things that they would not normally do. We had to take the truck to them to have them perform any work.

They have done two repairs. One was replacing blown head gasket. They said they would swap head gasket but if there was anything else wrong they would not re tag. Then they replaced push rod and rocker. They have been pretty good at trying to support us with all the problems we have had. All of the Spec trucks will end up benefiting from all of our work with Turnkey on the LT1.

But you are right they do not want to be repairing and re tagging any spec engines.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Here's a cool tool that might be of use...

Haha thanks for posting that. Hopefully Nathan sees this post. We have one of these and have had to use it in the last to get the air out. I told him to use it but he insisted he got the air out without using this tool. Which he may have and we have another issue but I was teasing him about the vacuum tool last night.

Mike

EL ROMAN

RDC Crypto
El Roman,

Very good question, thanks for asking.

You a re correct no BITD engine is to be "rebuilt". But Turnkey can make minor repairs and re tag. Which is what they did for us, but they consider us a development partner on the new engine package so thats why they are doing things that they would not normally do. We had to take the truck to them to have them perform any work.

They have done two repairs. One was replacing blown head gasket. They said they would swap head gasket but if there was anything else wrong they would not re tag. Then they replaced push rod and rocker. They have been pretty good at trying to support us with all the problems we have had. All of the Spec trucks will end up benefiting from all of our work with Turnkey on the LT1.

But you are right they do not want to be repairing and re tagging any spec engines.

Mike
Gotcha, thanks. Seems it might be an exception for the LT1. Not that we are needing it, just wanted to get more info, so I appreciate you chiming in. Also, thanks for being the guinea pig on the LT1. I'm sure it will help the class as a whole in a few years, as it is seeming the LS3 will not be around much longer (from a new engine perspective).