6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I think mike likes to tinker more than race. I think a new truck may have been cheaper at this point.

You are absolutely right. We do enjoy the process of learning and making the truck faster. When and if we ever have a good finish it will be that much sweeter.

And yes for sure it would have been cheaper to buy a new Herbst. For sure. But we could not drop that much all at once. So we pay as we go and do things many times. Haha. Never said I was smart.

Mike

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
I think Mike thinks they make money growing a cash product, he is not correct on that.
They are on their 2nd engine of the season, so no big bucks being spent, prep'ed by Dustin between about 3 different jobs he does.

BajaAddict

RDC Crypto
LOL 😂 i was waiting for the name spelling comments. Hehe

I do enjoy saying their name.

Someone has to give crap to the guys at the top. Would not be right if they won all the races and didn’t have haters. Plus it gives us motivation to be better.

And to be fair I have the most respect for the boys and their ability in driving and prep. Seriously. I have never said anything negative about them.

Mike
This guy...🤦‍♂️ I just can't with you Mike lol.

You are absolutely right. We do enjoy the process of learning and making the truck faster. When and if we ever have a good finish it will be that much sweeter.

And yes for sure it would have been cheaper to buy a new Herbst. For sure. But we could not drop that much all at once. So we pay as we go and do things many times. Haha. Never said I was smart.

Mike
And.... point proven. Sounds like you knew what I was referring to all along. ;)

Also, maybe skip a race and go put 500-1000 miles testing in a weekend with the kids. That will bring your truck's demons out and give everyone more seat time. Instead of throwing away the race money. Whatever you choose to do I wish you the best of luck.

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Unfortunately mike you may gut burned out trying to make something work that may never work. There are guys out there building there own trucks from scratch and will never even finish a race. I have had customers buy motor parts from me and after the 3rd one that they messed up they give up and let me build them one. If your having fun then I guess its worth it but I cant imagine all the in and out of motors and the money is fun at this point. What happens if you smoke another motor this next race?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
i really do appreciate your guys concern and i know you are trying to help.

But what exactly are you guys saying? You think I should spend $30K+ and put a LS3 back in and start over? is that really what all of you would do when my only problem was a poor repaired engines that should never have been repaired? Again the last two engines that blew up were repaired engines. The only new engine we blew up was when we took out the thermostat and didnt block the bypass, it got hot. We ran 1000's of miles with the LT1 and didnt blow a engine. We finished last years V2R without a issue on the truck with the LT1. It was two mistakes that caused all the issues. I had young unexperienced guys prepping my truck and they screwed up. Then I tried to get the engines fixed, didn't work.

I now have a veteran that knows what he is doing.

I feel like I keep saying the same thing over and over. You guys are not listing, you dont understand, or I am just stupid.

Swapping back to LS3 from the LT1 would be extremely expensive and possible cause more issues. it does not solve our problem. I am starting to think you guys want to sabotage me. LOL THE LT1 IS NOT OUR PROBLEM, anymore.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
How many lt1 motors have been in the truck from the start of the lt1 project?

We had the original LT1 that we ran about 2500 race miles and replaced. Sold that engine to a guy for a Camero for $4500 and still running strong. Then we put the new one in and thats the one we didn't put the thermostat back in, blew head gasket on second lap of BWDC. We got a new one and ran that about 2000 miles before the guys welded on the ECM and it failed taking out pushrod. Fixed the pushrod and that blew at Knolls first lap. then we put the blown head gasket repaired one back in and it blew at Laughlin first lap.

So we have bought 3 total LT1's for almost 2 years of racing. The only one that didnt get any miles on it was the blown head gasket one. We just sold the two blown ones for $4500 and the new engine was $9K. So it cost us out of pocket $4500 for this new one we are picking up today or Monday.

Mike

jcorsico

RDC Crypto
This thread has taken a rather bizarre turn. If you guys don't like what Mike is doing, then maybe stop reading his posts? I'm not sure what you are attempting to accomplish by pounding him into the ground with this armchair quarterbacking.

Others on this forum (like me!) do enjoy reading about Mike's adventure.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
This thread has taken a rather bizarre turn. If you guys don't like what Mike is doing, then maybe stop reading his posts? I'm not sure what you are attempting to accomplish by pounding him into the ground with this armchair quarterbacking.

Others on this forum (like me!) do enjoy reading about Mike's adventure.
He does tend to poke the bear though, its his money, he shares the information which I respect but at the same time has un-needed ability to push buttons for no reason. I understand his stance with his drivetrain but rather than tinkering, get in the truck and run it and get some seat time too.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
"But what exactly are you guys saying? You think I should spend $30K+ and put a LS3 back in and start over?"

Not me. I just want to see a finish/podium so you guys can keep the fire burning, but the tongue in cheek in me says, Take the $180k from a sale and buy 2 class 10 cars, already dialed that use Chevy ecotechs, so you're still partially in your lane if that helps, and go racing. Great class, very reliable, cheaper than a 6100, you can have 2 so you won't be so pushed for race turnaround time, and when you go local, you can have the boys race each other for steak and beer bets. Win Win Win Win! Let the kids deal with the CV grease, you handle logistics and being the team owner.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Its all in fun. We are close. Really.

Bro, I don't think you have met me and my two boys in person. I don't think we will fit into C10 buggies. Not many of them are made for 6'5". I really didn't fit when we raced C10 in the early 2000's and I am the smaller one in the group.

And yes I deserve what I get because I like to poke the bear. Besides if I am not creating arguments on RDC it is boring. I do feel bad that I have made the 6100 thread a mess arguing back and forth, that was not my goal for creating the thread. I try and add value.

We wont be able to run the truck for two weeks so I was asking Nathan to make some more changes. He said no, in a nice way. LOL

Our plan is to spend two days in Barstow shaking it down and getting seat time. Should be fun. Then we know we are ready for Parker. Hopefully BITD makes it a two day race. The last few times we have tested its been right before a race and the boys were not comfortable pushing the truck with no time to fix it if they screw up. We will have time this round to fix things if they make mistakes, So game on.

Mike

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
testing at Barstow for Parker is ok, but set the ride low and fast, not tall for the ruff, you know that.( ps, greased cv joints , once, in 1982, never again...

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Honestly the entire thing reminds me of the ford EcoBoost program. Pop pop .... oh we did something wrong pop.... oh it was the tune...pop pop.... we got it figured out this time fords fault! ....... pop.. had a bad motor.... pop pop.... its fixed!!! ....... pop.... we are selling this pile of crap!!! Hopefully the lt1 is not the new ecopop !