6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
I added cost estimates. If I was at my computer I could get you a coat per mile. But I try not to look at it that way. Haha

Mike

10 shot

RDC Crypto
Seems body parts alone would be super expensive as bed sides are pretty much trash every race. Still running my original carbon fiber body on my class 10 for 6 years only wrap it once a season. Depending on what trans you run we get 3 races from a 6 speed albins no problem other than that its skid plates and heim joints and normal prep work. I am sure spec is twice the price if not more to full prep.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
A TT body from Fiberwerx is like $4000 plus wrap which is $3800-4200. Not sure how much paint is.

So yes body panels can add up fast. But we plan on one new body at the beginning of the year and one more complete body throughout the season. And we budget $1000 for fiberglass repair for a season.

For sure way more than body panels on a buggy.

Mike

Capitol Raceworks

RDC Crypto
I’d like to get a engine for a 6100 build but I haven’t really heard of anyone offering a turnkey/proven LT1 package to race with .there is so little information out there and the majority of the class is running a ls3 at the moment. I’m torn on a power plant to use if I was to race with BITD. At this point I’m hopeful BITD will allow rebuilds to keep the familiar/proven LS3 as a option. But I have no interest in a spec class that I need to blow through unnecessary $ sorting out gremlins, reliability and proper setup of this new engine platform. If it comes down to it I’ll choose a different sanctioning body and/or class to end up in and have a more familiar/proven platform that will get me higher odds to a great time! I’m not here to develop a power plant recipe nor do I feel a spec class should have to take this expense on. I’ll leave that for the guys with money to burn. I understand racing is extremely expensive so I hope this post is taken the right way and I really appreciate any help from you guys on this decision.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
allowing rebuilds only prolongs the LS3 problem.

I am sure guys like Danzio can get your dialed with a LT1. They will have it figured out way faster than I did and may already have it figured out. They are the best and the biggest in racing.

Or maybe I need to start a new business. Haha

Mike

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
I’d like to get a engine for a 6100 build but I haven’t really heard of anyone offering a turnkey/proven LT1 package to race with .there is so little information out there and the majority of the class is running a ls3 at the moment. I’m torn on a power plant to use if I was to race with BITD. At this point I’m hopeful BITD will allow rebuilds to keep the familiar/proven LS3 as a option. But I have no interest in a spec class that I need to blow through unnecessary $ sorting out gremlins, reliability and proper setup of this new engine platform. If it comes down to it I’ll choose a different sanctioning body and/or class to end up in and have a more familiar/proven platform that will get me higher odds to a great time! I’m not here to develop a power plant recipe nor do I feel a spec class should have to take this expense on. I’ll leave that for the guys with money to burn. I understand racing is extremely expensive so I hope this post is taken the right way and I really appreciate any help from you guys on this decision.
MTPyle can set you up with a LT1 package for the right price. Lol 😂 start that business.

Olson04

RDC Crypto

I am sure guys like Danzio can get your dialed with a LT1. They will have it figured out way faster than I did and may already have it figured out. They are the best and the biggest in racing.

Mike
What cause the engines to only last 3000 miles. Is it due to the engines getting to much dust in them or just cause they live most of there lives at high rpms. Just curious.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
What cause the engines to only last 3000 miles. Is it due to the engines getting to much dust in them or just cause they live most of there lives at high rpms. Just curious.

I think many can go much longer.

But yes there is always a small amount if silt that gets by no matter how good your filter is. So that’s one factor. The valve train gets hammered pretty hard at max rpm and constant on and off.

I think for the most part the bottom ends are fine as most of these engines get regular oil changes after every race and good oil. And we have cooler oil temps with large oil coolers.

So most of the wear is in the cyl and valve train.

I am sure there are many race LS3 that have gone much much longer. But you start to see power lose and you start to get nervous it can go bang.

We budget a new engine at the beginning of the season. Which is $10k and we sell our used one for $4500-5000 so it cost $5k per season for engine. That’s less than our body budget. Haha

One other thing that is a problem is if you roll over and get oil in the cylinder and then try to start the engine. That can bend rods and really hurt them. We have swapped a few engines after that has happened. If they stay over longer you have to pull all the plugs and blow the oil out before you start it. I have had to do that in the side of the race course a few times, but saved the engine.

I am sure some of the actual pro engines guys like Slippery can add more info and what they see. I only see our engines.

Mike

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Good info here. 6100 is more expensive across the board. I bet trans and drivetrain is way more than maintain a class 10 fortin 6 speed, cv’s axels, and floater hubs. Class 10 and 6100 being spec like 11, 9, and 1600 are the best classes in this sport.

SMS81

RDC Crypto
In very simple terms, we have found car prep on a 6100 is a 28% higher cost than a 10. Operating costs differ most in fuel and tires. 40s are cool, but suck to move around and store. Not having a diff and driveshaft to worry about is awesome but cv’s suck. Dealing with body work sucks, storage and replacement. There is no comparison on ride, truck is better and faster. Pick your poison, they are both awesome! Personally, I can’t decide which one I like better!!

10 shot

RDC Crypto
In very simple terms, we have found car prep on a 6100 is a 28% higher cost than a 10. Operating costs differ most in fuel and tires. 40s are cool, but suck to move around and store. Not having a diff and driveshaft to worry about is awesome but cv’s suck. Dealing with body work sucks, storage and replacement. There is no comparison on ride, truck is better and faster. Pick your poison, they are both awesome! Personally, I can’t decide which one I like better!!
Forgot about the tire cost to replace and buy spares and store those huge things! Yea that would take up my entire shop ! Lol

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
28% isn't bad. Changing out your fueling system isn't inexpensive I'm sure.

Currently we have Alumicraft prep our car, 1 full prep for the 1000 and afterwards. Every other race is around half of the cost.
They do a really good job and any problem we've had has been caught during our shakedown.

Maybe I'm a fool for thinking this, but it seems a little less frightening to attempt working on a truck. Mostly the transaxle setup is very foreign to me.

If you could send everything out from your garage at home and reassemble I'm sure you could shave 30-40% off of the bill.

10 shot

RDC Crypto

Currently we have Alumicraft prep our car, 1 full prep for the 1000 and afterwards. Every other race is around half of the cost.
They do a really good job and any problem we've had has been caught during our shakedown.

Maybe I'm a fool for thinking this, but it seems a little less frightening to attempt working on a truck. Mostly the transaxle setup is very foreign to me.

If you could send everything out from your garage at home and reassemble I'm sure you could shave 30-40% off of the bill.
I do everything but trans on my 2 alumacraft cars it is not bad and can be done very easily at home. I have alumicraft do a full prep once a year to replace ant bent bumpers ect otherwise I do everything at my shop. Just to replace a motor in a 6100 is a pain.

SMS81

RDC Crypto

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing easier about a truck. Everything is heavier and more work. Just removing the body takes 4 times as long. The 28% is just prep parts and materials. Variables like body, tires and damaged parts are not included. No budget, 6100 hands down.

Steve_Sourapas

RDC Crypto
Website
stevesourapas.com

Mike
Trying to understand the LS3 problem. Was just at Turn Key this morning and asked about the supply status on LS3's and Glen told me their is no shortage.

Zac Reish

RDC Crypto
Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing easier about a truck. Everything is heavier and more work. Just removing the body takes 4 times as long. The 28% is just prep parts and materials. Variables like body, tires and damaged parts are not included. No budget, 6100 hands down.
I thought you were coming to class 5!

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
I made a typo, I meant to say that working on a truck would be easier as opposed to working on a transaxle buggy.

I can see how everything is larger and heavier but it seems to be more intuitive and more traditional style of wrenching.

I'm also 100% naive to actually working on one.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
Trying to understand the LS3 problem. Was just at Turn Key this morning and asked about the supply status on LS3's and Glen told me their is no shortage.
I can hear Pyle screeching in Utah right now...................
Not Listening Season 5 GIF by Friends