6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
I’m finding some of this stuff pretty interesting. @MTPyle Were you saying that you have a system that automatically adjust fuel ratios depending on percentage of ethanol gas mixture? Also, we’re you saying you have a “driver” option that adjusts the motor tune to a specific driver and there driving habits? If you don’t want to answer on here with all the block heads I understand.

You obviously haven’t had too many tuning issues, but would switching to the more expensive race 85 fuel allow you guys to focus on 1 less aspect of R&D of the motor, or is running pump gas part of that R&D? I can see the pump gas being part of it to potentially make the tune on your motor a little bit cheaper for the budget guys.

Interesting stuff to read. It’s nice to read about somebody else trying to ball on a budget (albeit way larger than mine lol.) ignore most of the dudes on this thread. They are just stirring the pot for the drama and are bored at home.

Evans Motorsports

RDC Crypto
This thread has turned ridiculou, It sounds like this fuel mixture, fuel additives, race fuel and special ecu tunes is stupid. I had a 6100 LS3 430hp that Dynoed at 489 to 495 hp prior to all 8 of the races this Motor was in the truck. Used Chevron 91 Octane running the provided stock ECU's With the GM tune Purchased from Turn Key. I'm sure they spent millions to make it what it is.
I would like to know the HP you people are getting from a LS430 Motor TUNE 10-15-20-30 hp.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
MTP Did give us a heads up on being hesitant on spilling beans of what caused the 'ventilated' lt1, yes, we non racing racers because no race car or$ live through other race teams here on rDc, cant wait for k0h

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Tapeworm

Yes we have a sensor that measures the amount of Ethanol content in the fuel and adjust spark and fuel mapping. It’s pretty standard and is in many stock vehicles.

Driver demand is the term for the system that regulates the power and decides how to translate throttle pedal movement into engine power and response. It’s complicated and has been a challenge for us to get right. In the process of troubleshooting that system we turned off our flex fuel to reduce the variables and forgot to turn it back on. So the system could not adjust for different levels of Ethanol. It was stuck at our target mix which is fine until we added too much ethanol at this last race.

Flex fuel is not a complicated system or risky. It’s proven and simple and we have been running it this way for 2 years without a problem. We have been buying pump E85 and mixing all along with good results. We have literally weeks on the dyno to verify it’s working as it should. We simply turned it off and didn’t turn it back on.

And just so you guys know it’s racing and every fast team is doing all they can to be competitive. To say we should just keep it simple and not have all the power we can get is against what we are doing.

We ran our LS3 on 91 pump gas but still had a custom tune. Never blew a engine. We have ran our LT1 set up for thousands of races miles on pump E85 and never had a problem.

We do not need to throw the baby out with the bath water. It’s a simple fix.

Only thing worse then making a mistake like this is having to argue with people on the internet about it that have no idea what we are doing. LOL

And yes Jon I did mention in my original post about this issue that I will regret it, which I do.

Btw I saw Steve Sourapas post last night what fuel they ran and he deleted it. Probably realized it’s not worth helping as he will get attacked. He was trying to be helpful and give experience but took it away because some of you guys are wankers.

I like when people share experience, especially if it goes against what we are doing. I don’t like went people that have no idea what they are talking about tell me what I am doing is wrong and what I should do. Put a LS3 back in. Haha

Mike

McCredie A

RDC Crypto
Mike, you mentioned you mix pump E85. Do you mind saying what you mix it with? Race E85, additive, etc?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
We mix E10 and E85 to get our desired ethanol content. We spent some time to find the right percentage.

These are stock engines and run pump gas all day long. There are literally thousands of guys tuning and running these engines on pump e85 on the street.

We are not doing something that has not been done for years as it relates to fuel and performance tune on the LT1. Our issues have been because we do not have a GM trans and trans computer talking to the ECM

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Just fyi there are many race teams that have two ECM’s one for E85 and one for race gas. They swap the ECM or load different tune depending on the fuel they run. It’s the same thing.

Our problem started at testing. We test and log our engine before every race. This race we didn’t get the truck there until 7pm for testing and tuned suspension until midnight. We never got the chance to hook up our lap top and log the engine in our race trim. That simple step would have caught this issue. It usually takes a couple things to go wrong for there to be a problem.

Flex fuel was off
We had higher than target ethanol percentage
We didn’t verify in testing

Any of those things go away and no problem.

As a side note this is another reason I don’t like how some teams have cheater engine ecms. They can just load the logs from qualifying and make changes on the fly. Our dash does not log all the engine stuff. We have to hook up a computer and test before the race. The guys with Motec or Life running their spec engines can log all engine parameters without a computer. Way easier. If we wanted to cheat like the others we would also not have had this problem.

Mike

E.Hagle

RDC Crypto
Mike I don't want you to think I'm not on your team on this one. I'm just applying what has worked for us so far. Hope you guys get your setup dialed and you have a better finishing rate for 2022

43mod

RDC Crypto
Mp what gain is the e85 in hp % ? No doubt it is rarely a complex issue that takes you out . Mint 390 , Norra 38 , Baja 17 . Costly dnfs due to A2 amp fuse buried in black tape , B trans vent tube pinched in belly pan , and the best one the baja 17-1000 . Last min test before heading to line up . Told mech/ co dog “ thats a funny little rattle , kinda sounds like t converter bolts . Mech says “ not possible i tightened those myself “ . Well ya know what came loose destroying the trans, converter and engine at rm 17 ????

EasyE

RDC Crypto
Mike I don't want you to think I'm not on your team on this one. I'm just applying what has worked for us so far. Hope you guys get your setup dialed and you have a better finishing rate for 2022
I think he wants to do it his way no matter if a better/proven way exists. The fact that the truck is where it's at today is impressive or crazy(?). I drove his truck weeks before Riley sold it, we actually raced and finished 2018 Mint in that beater TL spec.. LOL.. Probably could have bought 3 trucks for what I imagine he's in for to update the old one, so that should tell everyone what they need to know.. LOL
I'm with you though @ehagle.. and its how i handle my UTV program, send it all out to the experts.. prep it from there, test and focus on pre-run and all the 1000's of other things I have a chance at being decent at. The F88ck I want to learn to tune my own motor, valve my own shocks? no thanks
IMO you have to align yourself with people better than you to be successful and admit they are better.

Baja Bryan

RDC Crypto
Mint 400 was a blast. We ended up 2nd place in TT Spec. I have been mostly TT for a while and the TTspec was fun. Dust was no joke and hard to pass. James Scully and I also had the fastest lap of the trucks that finished. Nice to see James get a good result. We did all the miles together. Jax Redline hired me for the score season but anyone needs a navigator BITD or anything other than SCORE hit me up. ITs fun racing with new people and helping them get results.

FYI 60mph is to fast for the finish line jump lol check the video. Hard hit but the truck took it pretty good.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Haha not sure if you are referring to our truck but it was not $45k. LOL

And for sure we could have bought a new Mason by now. But I have explained a few times that I did not have $400k+ to drop on a truck at once. So building it over years worked. We have well over $300k into our truck after we bought it. And it’s worth maybe $180k. If we can prove the engine package. Great investment. LOL

I assure you our truck works way better than most of you would think. Ask Jason Duncan who has been in every type of spec truck. Our truck is balanced and forgiving. Plus built tough as hell.

Mike

43mod

RDC Crypto
Mike believe it or not i had hands on that truck upon its debut . It was not a pretty day but they finished ( didnt finish ) like hero's . Almost bought it a few weeks before you did . Glad you got it instead of me , you are way past where i would have taken it . Clearly driven and much deeper pockets . Right / wrong ??? Who is to say 🤷

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
43Mod,

Yeah I believe it. The truck we bought and the truck we have are two different things, The truck now weighs 800lbs more and has the best of the best in many parts. And every part we tested and researched like crazy. I cant tell you how many days we have into R&D. We questioned everything and found some good stuff.

For Under $200K I would not trade our truck for anything thats been out there. our truck is dialed, just engine issues that last year and a half.

If you are ever at a race come say hi and check it out.

Mike

51rcr

RDC Crypto
Mint 400 was a blast. We ended up 2nd place in TT Spec. I have been mostly TT for a while and the TTspec was fun. Dust was no joke and hard to pass. James Scully and I also had the fastest lap of the trucks that finished. Nice to see James get a good result. We did all the miles together. Jax Redline hired me for the score season but anyone needs a navigator BITD or anything other than SCORE hit me up. ITs fun racing with new people and helping them get results.

FYI 60mph is to fast for the finish line jump lol check the video. Hard hit but the truck took it pretty good.
but it was the finish so bonus points for the show.

EL ROMAN

RDC Crypto
@MTPyle It was good meeting you and the boys last weekend. Good to put a face to the screen name. If you end up doing the Legacy race, see ya out there. It looks like 2022 will be the full Legacy season for us (Deviant Racing truck). As for my 1450 truck, I'll be spending the majority of 2022 upgrading and rebuilding.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Yeah thanks for saying hi.

We may race the legacy race and let Carson race the entire race. He got screwed out of a ninja of driving opportunities with all of our problems this year. So he need a race he can race it n as driver. Then KOH.

See you soon and good luck with the upgrades. That’s always fun. Haha

Mike