6100, TTspec, T2, Baja Truck only thread

dzrt performance

RDC Crypto
I actually think the newer electronics can be a negative. I see a lot of people struggle with complicated electronics on newer trucks. Not much can go wrong with breakers and switches. When we upgraded our truck we kept it simple and just went Solid state breakers and switches but didn't do any automation or fancy stuff. I am glad we kept it simple as many times we could do things that would have been impossible with automated advanced systems.

The crazy thing about these trucks is the age of the truck should have very little to do with its value. Some older truck that been well prepped and taken care of is worth more than a 2 year old truck thats been ran hard and put away wet. Our truck can swing value by $50k at any given time based on how fresh everything is. "Fresh prep" and "ready to race" means very different things to different people. LOL

Mike
i disagree.

given the power that can be reliably produced (with electronics) and the speeds the vehicles are now traveling at....the more workload you can reduce on the crew means they can focus on the race and navigation.....

it just takes someone that really knows what they are doing to set it up correctly.

DG_BTI

RDC Crypto
i disagree.

given the power that can be reliably produced (with electronics) and the speeds the vehicles are now traveling at....the more workload you can reduce on the crew means they can focus on the race and navigation.....

it just takes someone that really knows what they are doing to set it up correctly.
oh boy, get ready to get yelled at...you are suggesting someone doesn't know what they are doing and or talking about. Your comment will be taken as a direct insult and you will be referred to as a dick, a-hole or worse.

Advertising supports this site

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com
i disagree.

Yeah sounds great but in practice there is now way to program for all the variables. The guy doing the programming always thinks he thought of everything. But he can’t, especially in racing where who knows what can go wrong.

I am in the automation business and have been for 30 years. No automated system can handle all unknowns and it almost never works the way the programmer thinks it will. This is why we have so many versions of software from prototype to production.

It does not take any more work to manually operate things like pumps, fans, etc. and with the ability to manually do any configuration you can need it’s flexible. With proper feedback and controls a human can do better than automation.

Bottom line is give me the info and the power to control what I what at the moment than have someone decide at a desk what I might need.

This is why we sell home control systems and not home automation.

But I get that people love to build and sell complicated systems. We tear them out all the time.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
oh boy, get ready to get yelled at...you are suggesting someone doesn't know what they are doing and or talking about. Your comment will be taken as a direct insult and you will be referred to as a dick, a-hole or worse.

Dude what is your problem. He shared his view and i shared mine.

Just because you can’t have an adult conversation without attacking does not mean others can’t.

Mike

dzrt performance

RDC Crypto
Yeah sounds great but in practice there is now way to program for all the variables. The guy doing the programming always thinks he thought of everything. But he can’t, especially in racing where who knows what can go wrong.

I am in the automation business and have been for 30 years. No automated system can handle all unknowns and it almost never works the way the programmer thinks it will. This is why we have so many versions of software from prototype to production.

It does not take any more work to manually operate things like pumps, fans, etc. and with the ability to manually do any configuration you can need it’s flexible. With proper feedback and controls a human can do better than automation.

Bottom line is give me the info and the power to control what I what at the moment than have someone decide at a desk what I might need.

This is why we sell home control systems and not home automation.

But I get that people love to build and sell complicated systems. We tear them out all the time.

Mike
its called TESTING.

we can fly aircraft via AUTOMATION.

trucks are slightly less complicated to get right. it just takes the effort and skills...which MANY do not possess but think they do.

dzrt performance

RDC Crypto
i am used to it🤣

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
its called TESTING.

we can fly aircraft via AUTOMATION.

trucks are slightly less complicated to get right. it just takes the effort and skills...which MANY do not possess but think they do.

Yeah you just have to dicide if you want to be the “test” dummy. Have you heard of the 737 Max? That fully tested automation system killed a lot of people. I bet those engineers thought the same way you do.

I fly a citation jet and in my truck and my jet I want to control what’s happening and do not want to rely on what some programmer thinks, especially when my life in on the line.

Obviously there are ways automation can help but not as often as people want to think.

20 years ago everyone was talking about how planes will fly themselves. That has not happened unless it’s a very controlled environment and even then there are many engineers assisting like with the Dragon SpageX program. Lots of automation but the environment has to be controlled.

Hard to control the environment in racing or general Avaition.

I understand your position and I think majority would agree with you. I am in the minority and have learned to keep it simple yet powerful. I have got much more conservative as I get older.

If I was building a new truck I would most likely have new complicated systems but I would build in lots of overrides.

Mike

Advertising supports this site

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
automation?, hey, 'wtf are these barber poles on my instrument panel doing'??( best air shows at Miramar were the f4 phantoms

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

dzrt performance

RDC Crypto
Yeah you just have to dicide if you want to be the “test” dummy. Have you heard of the 737 Max? That fully tested automation system killed a lot of people. I bet those engineers thought the same way you do.

I fly a citation jet and in my truck and my jet I want to control what’s happening and do not want to rely on what some programmer thinks, especially when my life in on the line.

Obviously there are ways automation can help but not as often as people want to think.

20 years ago everyone was talking about how planes will fly themselves. That has not happened unless it’s a very controlled environment and even then there are many engineers assisting like with the Dragon SpageX program. Lots of automation but the environment has to be controlled.

Hard to control the environment in racing or general Avaition.

I understand your position and I think majority would agree with you. I am in the minority and have learned to keep it simple yet powerful. I have got much more conservative as I get older.

If I was building a new truck I would most likely have new complicated systems but I would build in lots of overrides.

Mike
no you dont have to be a test dummy. these electronics have been around for 10 years now and the capabilities and shortcomings are well understood by some.

if you want to get into the MAX fiasco...... I too am a pilot...... have front seat time in an Eclipse, and have friends that are current MAX captains. I blame the FAA more then Boeing for that disaster but no need to get into that here..

i have had multiple customers tell me my "fancy electronic systems" have SAVED them money...by identifying and alarming failures that would have cost them a blown engine or lost huge amounts of times making repairs, instead of catching it before it was at critical stage.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
no you dont have to be a test dummy. these electronics have been around for 10 years now and the capabilities and shortcomings are well understood by some.

if you want to get into the MAX fiasco...... I too am a pilot...... have front seat time in an Eclipse, and have friends that are current MAX captains. I blame the FAA more then Boeing for that disaster but no need to get into that here..

i have had multiple customers tell me my "fancy electronic systems" have SAVED them money...by identifying and alarming failures that would have cost them a blown engine or lost huge amounts of times making repairs, instead of catching it before it was at critical stage.

Fair enough. Not getting into the max argument. Haha that’s a forum on its own. But if you understand that situation you know the computers did things the pilots did not want the computers to do and they died trying to fix the automation. You can argue how they got there but the result is the same.

Funny you mention the Eclipse. A perfect example of over automation that has been the crux of that plane. I have flown one and almost bought one until I fully understood the risk with that complex of a system. So you kind of proved my point.

Yes some automation can be good but too much can be bad.

We can agree that we both have different levels of what automation we want. Neither is wrong.

My original point is that newer PDU and complicated system are not a 100% going to make a truck faster or even more reliable. They have their benefits but also the risk that comes with those benefits.

I would rather have a analog controlled new Mason than a Gen 1 Brenthel with automation.

Mike

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
this is ludicrous.

first of all....you dont need a state-of-the-art jet with the radars and avionics for a "show" aircraft.

they take the OLDEST jets from the fleet, strip them down, and use them as their show birds....it simply a matter of $$$.

whatever safety systems are built into the software in the jet can be deactivated. it is my understanding they have software "modes" that allow the jet to bypass safety features for exhibition flights and all sorts of other things.
Your right. I guess my working in Saint Louis at the site where these F-18’s are built and working with the Blue Angels doesn’t give me the right to talk about it. Carry on old great one.

Curious why they have F-35 air show birds. Oh that’s right. They are the old ones. Got it.

calstyl2

RDC Crypto
The Blue Angels fly the Super Hornet now, both of your arguments are dumb. They might not be the newest airframes but they are not ancient tech either.