6100 vs 6200

SMS81

Reaction
6100 vs 6200

So I had an opportunity this weekend to drive a 6100 and 6200 back to back and thought I would share my opinions. First off the vehicles. The 6100 was a Armada Engineering ultralight model powered by a Danzio tuned Motec controlled race fuel LS. The 6200 was a Danny Parcel built Streamline with a Fortin 4spd and converter. The sealed spec motor is a pump gas tune. The 6100 sat on 40s while the 6200 rolled on 37s. Both had the same Sparco seats. The Armada runs a fox shock package the Streamline King.

Speed Performance. Let me say, the Streamline flat out hauls the mail! I have owned a few class 1s in the past and honestly I couldn’t tell much of a difference if any. The 6100 is no slouch, but sorry to all the expensive truck owners out there, they are considerably slower. Now to be fair, this 6100 does not have an underdrive. How much of a difference that would make, I don’t know? Pedal floored on this Armada and 115 is achieved and probably had a little more left, that is just where I stopped my run. The 6200 got to 115 effortlessly and fast with a lot of pedal left. 1 point 6200.

Ride. This is a tricky one. Both cars ride really well. Both skip through moderate sized woops with ease. The big stuff is where the 6100 shines. The Streamline and the Armada front suspension is really comparable, the rear is not. The 6100 stays stable through big hits, hits that bottom the 6200. The 6100 simply has more suspension travel, and you can really feel that. Both cars are really impressive in the desert. Even with less rear travel the Streamline never bucked up in the rear and accomplish the same task just as quick. 1 point 6100.

Feel. So I found this the most interesting. The Streamline really makes you feel like you are driving a race car. Your head gets pinned by acceleration, the speed in and out of turns is incredible, it gives you a much more nimble feeling even though both these rides weigh just about the same. The 6200 is a fun car to drive. 1 word to describe the 6100, Cadillac. Not boring, just smooth, well put together, very, very easy to drive, actually relaxing. The Armada was predictable and did what you asked it to. This is a pretty tough one for me to choose a winner. The younger me would have chosen the 6200 in a blink of an eye, but the older me would choose the comfort of the Armada. This is a draw.

Variables. Thinking about both vehicles, one thing that sticks out as a negative to me is the transaxle. I hate CVs. Although this Fortin changed gears effortlessly, you have to know how to mesh gears similar to driving a semi truck. This can present a serious problem if someone who is sharing driving duties does not have this talent. Lastly, having to shut the car off to shift to reverse is a PITA! I think the newer gear boxes have this issue resolved. Altogether, if you know how to drive the Fortin, it is an extremely quick shifting transmission with a race car feel. Once again the Armada is just easy. Anyone can jump in and drive it. In fact, it feels just like driving my everyday truck. No tricks, just easy, reliable use. I mention reliable because that is what it is when you compare the 2. There, once again are just fewer moving parts to brake on the 6100. 1 point 6100.

Cost. Budget is always important, and this one is a no brainer. I am only considering initial cost between the Armada and the Streamline, not prep or maintenance. One can do a whole lot of prep for the extra $100k+ of the 6100. Big point to 6200!

Conclusion. So what a B.S. review! A tie in the end, that’s crap! Well, I’m struggling with it as well! Put it this way, in a head to head with 100k on the line at Silverstate, I’m driving the Streamline. $100k on the line in JV, I’m taking the Armada. Now I know these 2 are in different classes and do not race each other directly, I just thought it would be fun to do a comparison. Now if Andy and Brice would like me to compare their Masons, please let me know

MTPyle

Reaction
Great write up. Thanks for sharing.

I have never driven a class 1 or 6200 only class 10 buggy.

power to weight I would assume the 6200 smokes a 6100 in speed and acceleration, which sounds like it did in your opinion.

I don’t understand why the 6200 class is not bigger. Should be tons of those racing. And the UTV guys are used to driving buggy’s so it’s a easy step up.

buddy of mine just traded his 6100 for a Class1. Said its 100x more fun to drive but also a hand full. It will be interesting to see how he does. He can drive for sure so he should do really well with the class 1

Mike

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
very cool! Iv never been in a truck, but everything you said is pretty much what I imagined. Is Danny Parcel going to come to a race? or will he run class 1?
MTPYLE the class is still Brand new.... i notice you keep saying that over and over, but all classes need time to gain traction.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Great write up!

I would love to drive a 6200 and I think I would share your same opinions.

As for 6200 I approached Casey to start this new class as I thought it would get a bunch of older buggy's out there racing. I'm with Mike here, not sure why this class hasn't exploded with entries. There are used cars for sale in the $50k range that would be perfect for this class.

MTPyle

Reaction
very cool! Iv never been in a truck, but everything you said is pretty much what I imagined. Is Danny Parcel going to come to a race? or will he run class 1?
MTPYLE the class is still Brand new.... i notice you keep saying that over and over, but all classes need time to gain traction.

Oh. I was pretty sure 6200 was a class in 2018 when we got our 6100. So I thought it had been around for at least that long and assumed it had been around for years before that. Didn’t know it was Brand new.

Mike

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Great write up!

I would love to drive a 6200 and I think I would share your same opinions.

As for 6200 I approached Casey to start this new class as I thought it would get a bunch of older buggy's out there racing. I'm with Mike here, not sure why this class hasn't exploded with entries. There are used cars for sale in the $50k range that would be perfect for this class.
Jerry,
Lets set up a test day in parker. Ill show you mine if you show me yours LOL

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Oh. I was pretty sure 6200 was a class in 2018 when we got our 6100. So I thought it had been around for at least that long and assumed it had been around for years before that. Didn’t know it was Brand new.

Mike
technically it was, but not really. We were 2400 cars. The awards ceremony of 2017 BITD announced they would start the class the fallowing year, since 2400 never quite got off the ground Donald asked what we wanted to do and I said just combine us with the new 6200 class. No one showed up to race class in first year it was just a few 2400 who ran different numbers.

Every class has taken a few years to start up. Even when the first TT came out it took a few years till guys started to commit.

The class had legs, just needs time for guys to invest and build

MTPyle

Reaction
In our second race ever we were at Laughlin. I think the rage. A 6200 car nerfed me as I was in his way and slow. It took out our rear end fill cap. I got on the brakes as he went to hit me and he went under our bumper. Haha It was the first time I was nerfed. I think it was Tim Weston. He was fast and I was impressed. So maybe it was not in BITD yet? It was for sure in SNORE.

Since we have got into racing there have been a lot of new 6100 teams. I bet there are at least 30 trucks that have got into 6100 since we started. and only maybe 4 6200.

I agree all new classes take time but it seems there is something in the way. Maybe it’s just momentum. I am all for 6200 and want it to do well. Not trying to be negative. Just voicing my confusion of why it’s not taken off.

Mike

9rocky

Reaction
In our second race ever we were at Laughlin. I think the rage. A 6200 car nerfed me as I was in his way and slow. It took out our rear end fill cap. I got on the brakes as he went to hit me and he went under our bumper. Haha It was the first time I was nerfed. I think it was Tim Weston. He was fast and I was impressed. So maybe it was not in BITD yet? It was for sure in SNORE.

Since we have got into racing there have been a lot of new 6100 teams. I bet there are at least 30 trucks that have got into 6100 since we started. and only maybe 4 6200.

I agree all new classes take time but it seems there is something in the way. Maybe it’s just momentum. I am all for 6200 and want it to do well. Not trying to be negative. Just voicing my confusion of why it’s not taken off.

Mike
I believe your truck was the first 6100 ever. It raced itself for 2 or 3 years until they opened the class to all manufacturers, not just Trophylite...

MTPyle

Reaction
9rocky

interesting. I didn’t know that. I thought they opened it up early on. But to be honest I didn’t go that far back. All I was told is it won some championships. LOL makes sense now. Hehe

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Rules say no AWD in 6200 but I think someone raced and BITD allowed it for that race.

I think there is also confusion over engine rules. I think the rules just say the 430hp. But some guys put in the 525hp

Mike

9rocky

Reaction
9rocky

interesting. I didn’t know that. I thought they opened it up early on. But to be honest I didn’t go that far back. All I was told is it won some championships. LOL makes sense now. Hehe

Mike
I told everyone that 6100 would be a hit if they opened it up to all builders. As soon as they got away from just Foutz, it took off.

Rocket 450

Reaction
I told everyone that 6100 would be a hit if they opened it up to all builders. As soon as they got away from just Foutz, it took off.
If only they were smart with the Trophylite R4s . Could have been a excellent class with huge car counts!

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Rules say no AWD in 6200 but I think someone raced and BITD allowed it for that race.

I think there is also confusion over engine rules. I think the rules just say the 430hp. But some guys put in the 525hp

Mike
yes there is confusion, but that's 100% on BITD. If you tell groups of people they can do or can't do something but don't make a statement to let EVERYONE know so if you weren't involved in the conversation your left in the dark. When I built my car they specifically told me the 525 would be aloud starting in 2021 and 4wd would NOT be aloud. Yet the rule book still reads the same as the day it was first written. Its frustrating….. I try to connect with everyone who is joining the class so they don't get screwed.

MTPyle

Reaction
Rules are not BITD's strength right now LOL its very frustrating.

IMO they should copy the 6100 engine rules and not allow 4wd. Keep it simple. just like with 6100 and TT, if you want to run AWD then go to unlimited. No reason to have AWD in a limited class that is supposed to be the cheaper class.

Mike