6122 at the Parker 425

MTPyle

Reaction
I like to read the race reports that teams post so I figured I would add our report. We are a new team to the sport to learning a lot and I find these threads informative.

We bought this truck (Trophylite R8 Azunia Tequila truck from Jim Riley) last October and have raced SADR Point to Point, BITD Laughlin Desert Classic, Baja 1000, Rage at the river, and now P425. We have finished every race we have been in (except LDC day 2 when we rolled in in field)

Little team back round-
I race with my two sons Connor (23) and Carson (15) we are from Draper UT. We are doing this as a family event to have some great experiences and build memories. My good friend Dustin Whipple helped us with sponsorship and some branding, Hence the Whipple logos. And no we do not have a supercharger on a 6100. We have some good friends from Havasu that we race with Kelson Motorsports. Wade has been racing since early 2000 and had a 10 car, Pro Truck, and recently a 1 car that he was injured in and since sold. They have a 5 unlimited they race now and in the team are a 10 car, 2000 truck, and 3000 car. Rick Mooneyham of Trick Toys in Havasu has done a lot of work on our truck and prepped us for the Baja 1000. Sam Mamales and Scott Watson of FTW Prep in Salt lake help with prep for each race and support us in the pits.

Now that we have some experience and races under our belt we are trying to become more competitive without pushing too far and crashing like so many others do. Hehe. We are planning to run the complete BITD series in 2019.

Parker 425 race day.

First half was myself driving and Rick Mooneyham as Co dog. First time with Rick in the right seat. Rick is a Ultra 4 and 5 car racer so has lots of desert racing experience. tried to start mello and keep it together which we did. Rick was pushing me hard but I was still staying conservative to hold it together. Householder started behind me and caught us by Mile 15 or so. He hit us hard LOL. after he passed I tried to hang for a bit and was able too but just felt like I was going too fast and did not want to crash in the dust so I backed off. It was clear to me that I was not as fast as the top guys, which I already knew. Then Drickey was on my ass and I let him by. Couple minutes later Brock Heger nerfed us super hard and went by. By mile 30 we had been passed 3 times. But I was sticking to my plan to stay smooth and consistent and not do anything stupid on the first lap. It's the never ending battle for a racer to weigh speed with patience. (clearly we need to move more towards the speed part :)

Then came the vibration from drive line, we had hit something and could not go over 93mph. had to change it at midway. that pit stop actually went well. Once we could go full speed I was getting more comfortable going fast. Rick was pushing me and for the most part it was getting better the faster I went. Truck was happier getting pushed. We passed so much carnage and wrecks, it was a mess out there. Getting close to the end of lap 1 I was trying to get around 6111. Kept getting good momentum but lost it as I went to go by, one attempt I lost it and went bushwhacking. We followed them into the longest 25mph speed zone on the planet.

We had another spare driveline in the main pit that we stopped and put on which took some time, in retrospect we didn't need to make this stop. 6111 got out of their pits ahead of us. We pushed and got by them pretty fast and had a good pace. We were way faster on our 2nd lap for sure.

Then we had a planned crew change at midway that went pretty well. Connor and Carson got in and took off. Then they had a flat with the wire from the tire getting wrapped around the rear end which took about 30-40 minutes total to fix in the middle of the course in a bad spot. after that they were making good time and closing on the trucks in front of them (at least from the pits it seemed that way).

Stopped at main pit and get new spare on which took awhile, again not sure that stop was needed but we were being conservative. Then the guys had to pee and got out which took about 6 min LOL, not sure they knew they were in a race.

Over all we had about 1.5hours of stops and pits. Our on course time was decent and I think we can hang, just need to dial in the stops and wasted time. The truck did amazing and took a beating its a beast for sure and was clearly prepped really well. we are not as fast in the tight stuff but do well in big whoops and tore up stuff. Our truck has a lot of travel and is heavy so we try and play that to our advantage.

Finished with all fiberglass and no mechanicals except drive line and tire, which are driver issues not truck issues.

Youth Theory guys at Midway were super cool and helpful to us. We were parked next to them and could not believe how great they were, I guess I always assume the big teams are jerks, LOL. Not the case with these guys.

If we can keep the truck holding up like it has and improve on our stops we will do better at the Mint. Someone said if you feel like you are going fast you are probably going too fast and should back off. I try to keep to that. But at the same time we won't get close to the fast guys if we don't get out of our comfort zone a little.

My two son's Connor and Carson stepped it up and made some great time on the track. they just need to get catheters or learn to hold it. That stop cost 2 positions. (but they didn't know that

Oh our tracker from RacingTrax stopped working early on so we had no idea where we were in standings and how close we were.

Great experience and a finish we can be OK with. I want to thank all the people that support us and make this possible, it takes a village.

Take a look at these videos of our main pit stops

Main Pit stop 1 video
Main pit stop 2 video

Mike

Attachments

• hr-2630.jpg
    hr-2630.jpg
    658.1 KB · Views: 383
  • hr-4850.jpg
    hr-4850.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 404
  • hr-2633.jpg
    hr-2633.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_0568 2.jpg
    IMG_0568 2.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 350

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks Jerry. We have done a lot to the truck and made many improvements. It’s been fun to do things that help.

I think you were the one that said if you feel like you are going fast you should slow down. Haha thanks for that. Has helped me finish. Now just need to push my comfort zone a little each race.

Mike

DesertCreations

Reaction
Awesome job Mike. When you bought that truck and told me your plans for all those races I thought you were crazy. Congrats on all the finishes!!

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks Kurt, You were right though I am crazy, this sport is crazy. LOL I don't just mean crazy in a funny kid of way I mean crazy as your not all there kind of way.

And thanks for all your help, I wish you were closer to us.

Although be glad you do not live by us. We finally had to get the truck out of the trailer and try and clean it to start our prep. We have 1' of snow and freezing. Tried to pressure wash the truck and the mud was frozen and the water would freeze when it hit the truck. Hd to bring it in the shop dirty to thaw it out and will make another attempt today to wash it. We are bringing water from the house thats heated so hopefully with the hot water and the truck warm it will get clean. Like cleaning a muddy trophy truck after a race isn't bad enough. LOL.

IMG_0592.jpeg

Mike

ekozy39

Reaction
Nice write up. Truck does look great. The refresh helped. That truck is solid, we put a few athletes from other sports in that truck for Mint last year and in it held up. Solid truck, best of luck this season.

MTPyle

Reaction
ekozy39, Thanks

I watched that Monster video many times when looking at the truck, super cool video. Was really cool to see guys get to experience off-road racing. I am sure that video did a lot to expose others to this sport. Well done.

The truck is very forgiving and super solid. We have made lots of improvements on the truck since we got it and it has got faster and faster. Now we just need to get us dialed in also. ;-)

So many things have to be right to be competitive in this sport. Truck, Team, and the nut balls in the seats. Everything has to be right and come together at the same time.

Mike

geno760

Reaction
Congrats guys! Happy to see the R-8 (OG 6100) out there getting some action. Good luck at the MINT!