• Forum membership has its advantages....

6122 LDC day 2 2019 In car cam with audio

MTPyle

Check out this video of my boys racing in day 2. Connor (23) is driving and Carson (16) is co driving. They did a pretty good job.
Travis Williams was behind them and you could tell they lost ground in the corners but our truck runs strong so we held our own. Check out the road crossing, that was cool.

Pretty proud of how these boys have progressed over the last year.

we still have a lot to learn in the driving area but we will get there.
LDC Day 2

Honda48X

Great video. Connor and Carson are pretty lucky kids and they will only improve over time. They are fast and will get even faster. The dust can be scary and that’s where trusting you’re co-dog plays into going fast but still in control. Love the new look to the truck.

MTPyle

Thanks Honda. We love the new look also. Only issue is its harder to pick out of the crowd. We need to add something that sets it apart from a distance.

The dust is hard because that takes out so many trucks and Connor knows that. He for sure was really conservative in the dust.

The hardest thing is how hard to push. Before every race we talk about being smooth and steady and finish the race in one piece. Then when you get out of the truck and watch the video you think we could have gone so much faster. We talk a big game between races how we are going to push harder next time. LOL

I hear guys like Kyle and Brock talk about how they are going to push hard and not worry about breaking the truck. Easy to do when your not the one paying for the truck. Deciding how hard to push is by far the hardest part. I am hopeful we can just get faster and faster without getting out of our comfort zone. But when I watch videos of fast guys they look crazy fast and all over the place. So maybe we just need to get comfortable being on the edge.

We are planning on getting a driving coach before Parker to work with us. We have lots to learn. I feel like we have the truck pretty close to as fast as it can be. We are working really hard on our new engine package to make sure we have every advantage we can get on power. So now we need to get faster as drivers and it can all come together.

If we can make it to Rage this week Carson may get his second chance in the drivers seat. he is excited but I am not sure he is ready for a race like the Rage, its mayhem out there. Maybe have to put a rookie flag on the back of the truck haha.

Mike

Fourstroker

If we can make it to Rage this week Carson may get his second chance in the drivers seat. he is excited but I am not sure he is ready for a race like the Rage, its mayhem out there. Maybe have to put a rookie flag on the back of the truck haha.

Mike
Awesome you get to race with your boys. Having seen a rookie flag since sprint cars. I like the idea

jon coleman

an old timer gave me some advice on driving dust, if your pushing it& not sure, keep it aimed at the last thing /line/ path/ ect ect you were looking at to go to, & dont pitch it sideways blind, Thats a rim buster:eek:

jon coleman

clarify; ^,If you decide to push it blind, me? i was at 25% or less pushing it blind, that scene in ' days of thunder ' stuck with me, come through the turn at speed, Big smoke cloud, TWO choices to make gas or to brake, its all up to you!!

OFFRD-JNKIE

MTPyle I know of several people that went to the Dirtfish driving school and said that it helped them a lot especially with cornering and how far ahead to looks and how to set the car up before coming into a corner. Something you might want to consider?

MTPyle

JNKIE,

Thanks for the link, I will check into it.

We have a friend that has helped us in the past with course notes, pre running. I think that friend will come out and test with us for a day. He is one of the best TT drivers and I think could teach us a lot. It would also help to just ride along in our truck with a Top driver to see what our truck can really do. I know we are not pushing our truck very hard, just don't know how far we are from the edge.

Mike

MTPyle

Olson,

Thank you, that means a lot. We love the support we get from guys like you. Helps us push harder for sure and we hope we can podium soon also. We feel we are getting close.

JNKIE, I just looked at the Dirtfish and man thats legit. I think I just figured out what to give us for Christmas LOL, just need to rob bank or embezzle some money. LOL There must be some easier ways to fund racing. Haha

Mike

Honda48X

Dirt fish is awesome. I believe Dan Mcmillin went to it, so if you want to get fourth place this is the place to go. Just kidding. Fly them into Seattle and an hour away is the School.

MTPyle

Dirt fish is awesome. I believe Dan Mcmillin went to it, so if you want to get fourth place this is the place to go. Just kidding. Fly them into Seattle and an hour away is the School.
LOL 4th place. Checked Dirt fish out and man they are expensive. For us to do a 2 day deal would cost $14K. WTH. Seems like getting a driving coach to work with us in our truck would be way way cheaper. We don't have McMillin kind of money. Haha

Mike

jon coleman

im sure theres a top tt dude or 2 in SD that 'll meet u at plaster city & improve your lapp times& driving ' style' for a Lot less$$$$

MTPyle

Jon,

That's what I am thinking, We could do days and days of testing with a top driver and be way less and get more time in our truck. I think that's the route I am going to go down. We already have a top driver that we have worked with. So hopefully he can find some time with help us.

We may just camp out in Parker for a couple weeks in Jan. We are going down for the pre run two weeks before the race. so that would be a great time to test and learn.

Mike

jon coleman

dont forget your shock doc.somthing i regret never having a shock expert at My 'test' sessions, i would just turn clickers until it didnt hurt so much...o_O

MTPyle

We get really good support from Fox. We do a tuning session before each race and each time the truck gets better and better. Mike Kim has been really great to work with. We would have Mike there for the testing and learning as I am sure the TT driver could help tweak the set up.

I cant believe how far our suspension set up as come. I think its the single most important part of the setup of the truck. We had no idea how good it could be. With the latest set up we never take big hits anymore in the cab, the truck is on a cloud. Also the truck takes way less abuse with our latest shock set up.

We have a few more mods we are making to our bypasses for Parker cant wait to make it even better.

Mike

jon coleman

just keep this in your memorie banks, when I first put real race tires on my ita car, Dave Turner told/ warned me,' you are gonna be going Much faster, the tires dont make lottsa noise, like street tires, so when you go past the tires slip angle threshhold, hang on', he meant basically race parts and set up changes/ testing make you go much faster, work your way up to that speed, and yes, going through a corner and you past the tires grip, well ive been luckey and didnt hit the wall.ps, it took Years to hang w the front runners, never trophyed, but one of last races at PIR, I was in top 1/4 of srx7,, could watch top5 guys battling the whole race, its tuff , first trip to Phoenix years earlier, ;) i was Lapped

Last edited: