6122 Rage at the River 2019 Prep and race recap

MTPyle

Reaction
Haha I know some of you guys are tired of seeing 6122 crap but here is more. Hehe

Our goal for the Rage was to test some of our new 2020 season changes and to get more seat time for us and Carson my 16yr old. We were not sure if we could get this stuff done and the truck back together but did what we could. We did not register for the race as I figured we could get that done when we show up. We had the truck loaded and on the way from UT thursday and needed to get there so we could qualify. I flew down and Connor drive the truck and trailer.

These are the changes we made to the truck for our 2020 season that we got done before the rage.

Underdrive (did the Fortin)
Billet reverse valve body in our Maximum Transmission trans
New Drive lines
4:11 ring and pinion from Gearworks
39" Toyo tires
New Sparco Full containment seats
New AEM Fuel pumps (replaced our DW pumps that kept failing)

We still need to do New 525hp engine and 4.0 Fox bypasses on front for Parker 425, we have 4.0 on the rear and they made a huge difference. We just could not get either of these done before the Rage. We we ran this race with our old 430hp engine. We think it has just over 3500 race miles on it, it's been a damn good engine.

When I showed up to registration they told me the heat was capped at 70 and I could not race 6100, that sucked, LOL Then they suggested we race in Heat one with sportsman classes and maybe a spot will open up in Heat 5. It seemed pretty likely that out of 70 trucks and buggies in Heat 5 that someone would not show up or break in qualifying. I asked if we could qualify just in case and they said no.

In the morning we got a call from a friend that had registered their 6100 truck but could not make it. So we took his spot. We decided to stay in Heat 1 and let Carson (16) drive both days in the morning and Connor (23) and I each take a day driving in 6100 Heat 5. Only problem was we would have to get up before the sun for heat 1, that sucked LOL.

Carson drove and Connor Co drove Saturday morning in heat 1. This was the first time we ran the truck which was scary, We usually test before a race but didn't have time. Carson was running a good pace and looked smooth. They passed a few trucks and buggies and had to work around the Bugs. Carson was scared to crash a bug so was extra cautious.

One thing about the start that was odd was the flag guy was all the way to the side next to the inside vehicle. The guys on the other side could not see the flag guy. Kind of silly to have 3 wide start and have the flagger out of sight of two of the trucks. LOL

After the race truck looked good. We put more gas in and checked fluids to get ready for the 6100 race.

I drove heat 5 with one of our Prep guys Samm as co driver. It was Samms first time in a full size truck, he was really excited. We started in the back of heat 5 behind 65 vehicles and knew we had our work cut out for us. To make matters worse the leaders were only 30 seconds behind us when we started. They caught us in the moon bumps which made for some mayhem. Truck seemed solid but a little hard hitting. Traction was good and the trans was crazy fast. I could not even tell it was shifting and had to keep going back and forth. The RPM would change but you could not feel it, crazy. The new trans was amazing. I think we had a a little more tire pressure than we needed and the extra unsprung weight of the tires was effecting our bypasses valving.
On lap 4 we jumped the highway and the truck was all over the place. Landed weird and I thought something was not right. Then we were only doing 80 down the hill which last laps we were 98-99mph. Made the turn to the high school jumps and each jumper we kicked to the side. Finally realized it was a tire gong down. It started to flap but we made it to the pits. I wasn't pushing hard but I think we passed a lot of trucks. did not have to nerf one truck and got around them just fine. But for some reason a TT decided he needed to hit us hard and break my bumper in the Moon bumps, kind of a dumb place to nerf someone, but I guess he figured that was the only way to get by me LOL. We finished 7th place.

Come to find out I hit the same rock last year at the Rage and bent a wheel. So at least I am consistent.

We got a penalty for not stopping at finish/start. The odd thing was on the first lap they waved me thru and I just rolled by. then the next lap one guy was waving me thru again and the guy with the flag was saying stop. I rolled thru again and got the penalty. I asked them about it and they said if people where going slow in the 25mph area they would let them roll thru but if they were speeding then they made them full stop for longer. I was like WTH?? seems like it should be everyone stops or at least communicate what the rules are. I do not understand why we even need to stop. Just do the 25mph speed limit and have a radar gun and penalties for speeding. The stop and go effects the race way too much. Rant over. Hehe.

Looked over truck in the pits and it looked good. Then Sunday Carson would drive again with Connor Co driving. They took off well and made great time. On the 2nd lap they called in and said they though they had a flat or something. We looked at it when they went by the hot pits and looked good. They went on to finish in pretty good time. Carson got 1st place in Truck sportsman and was 2nd overall for heat1 for the two days, only getting beat by Connor Mcmullen in his Class1. So that was a great finish for Carson.

We got the truck in the pits and found the front trailing arm bolt was broke, which we are pretty sure what they were feeling in the race. It was half way out. LOL its like the pin was half way out of a hand grenade. Pretty sure if it would have come all the way out we would have had a yard sale. We need to not only get new bolts but get them safety wired. The guys got the bolt replaced and then we noticed some pretty big cracks in our frame where the front limit straps are. I think from the extra weight of the tires. We need to strengthen those spots also.

got the truck all back together and ready for heat 5. Connor was driving and Carson Co driving. They were starting way further up front so that helped. I think they started 7th row in heat 5 so 14th overall. Started strong and they were making good time. We were about 30 seconds a lap behind the top 3. Connor said we could pull them in the big stuff but lost them in the big pull straight aways. I think the power difference was hurting us. After 4th lap it was clear they were not gong to pass anyone or get fast enough to make a difference so I told them to take it easy on the truck. They passed a lot of trucks and did really well. They finished 5th in 6100 and we finished 6th overall for the weekend for 6100. I think they were like 8th overall for heat 5.

things we learned. We need to re tune suspension with new tires. We are too high geared and hopefully the higher engine HP will cover the difference. We could not pull 3rd and maxed out at 99mph. we need to change the seat mounts as the full containment seats are really in the way to get in and out. We need new bolts and to safety wire the bolts on suspension and steering. We need better serp belt system as ours slips when wet or muddy. Another odd thing is the way the truck now torques over when on the gas. I guess the under drive moved the torque into the chassis and out of the rear end. So that was a negative effect of the Underdrive that we didn't expect. Not saying to totally understand how or why but it's different and we will have to get used to that aspect as drivers.

I think lots of truck are going to have problems with the larger tires at Parker 425. the extra weight will reduce reliability in chassis and suspension. Its not just about will they fit but what effect it will have. I think the larger tires are smoother which may balance out that effect but I bet some guys will have problems that they didn't have before. We got about 200 race miles at the Rage of pretty rough stuff to shake it down. I doubt many of the other BITD guys will get that much time on their trucks with the changes. So I predict some issue for the 6100 fleet in Parker. Parker is brutal and will make you pay for any weakness.

Pretty impressed with how the 6100 trucks did at the Rage. You look at the overall times and man we are a fast reliable group of trucks. Matt Laughlin was really fast and consistent, Terry Householder was showing why he runs the 6001 number plate, and Travis Williams had something to prove in his new to him Geiser and was super fast. We have our work cut out for us to be competitive.

Below are some pics from the prep and the race. I will get some videos on Youtube to share. We got some really good in car footage.

Mike

Attachments

misterktm

Reaction
never mind...I got un-lazy and google them. Not the guys I was thinking of...which is good as i have the ones I was concerned you were talking about, lol.

MTPyle

Reaction
haha its Deatsch Werks fuel pumps

I think every 6100 should run them, they are really great Hehe.

Mike

misterktm

Reaction
I'm running Weldon pumps...which I think are really good.....Wasn't sure if the 'DW' was some sort of nick name for them - but obviously not...

Bravo

Reaction
Looked good out there. We also changed to under drive and went to 39s, and found out also it requires some more shock tuning. But we also did shock overhaul (put back exactly how it used to be) so that could be part of it. We hit just over 100 on the non-silty flat straight. We also went to a 525 motor, and it didn't seem noticeably faster.. Our ass was getting hoppy, and eventually we cartwheeled and rolled it on Sunday morning.. Fortunately, got back out there for 6100.

Appreciate your write up, this is our first year racing. Lots to learn

scottm

Reaction
Mike you said it was geared too tall? What is your underdrive ratio? If it's around the typical 1.5, then with 4.10's in the diff you should be around 6.0:1 which is pretty low.

MTPyle

Reaction
Bravo,

were you in the People’s 6100? we just rebuilt our coilovers also but left them set up the same. I think it’s the bigger tires and the fact that it was wetter harder dirt. Sucks you guys crashed. That’s the worst.

Scott,
the Underdrive is 41% reduction. Doug Fortin told me it would be a 5.8 final drive. We had 5.67 before and was a tad too high geared. So we figured 5.8 would be perfect.

Mike

Bravo

Reaction
Bravo,

were you in the People’s 6100? we just rebuilt our coilovers also but left them set up the same. I think it’s the bigger tires and the fact that it was wetter harder dirt. Sucks you guys crashed. That’s the worst.
Yea that was us. We have been running 1500 all season, decided to try 6100 for first time last weekend. The crash had a silver lining at least - humbling, and a testament t the strength of our truck!

MTPyle

Reaction
I think you guys crashed right in front of my boys. I will see if they have video. You guys looked fast, that’s a fast truck, it’s Terry’s truck from last year, right?

So much to learn in this sport. We have rolled our truck 3 times and made many many mistakes.

Are you guys running 6100 in BITD for 2020?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
I put Terry Householders number wrong and it won't let me edit it. I meant 6101, not trying to say he is 6000 class. Haha

We just put heaters in the trailer to warm up the truck. We need to pull it out and wash it down and it was 15 degrees in the trailer. You Southern folks have no idea the pain we go thru with these trucks in the winter. LOL

Getting the truck in the shop ASAP to start making more changes and prep for Parker. Lots to do.

Mike

Volkspower Racing

Reaction
I prep Travis Williams 6100, was a good race, we learned a lot. We only had the new big motor and 40’s, but didn’t have a chance to change the converter or install the Underdrive so we are lacking there some. As far as shocks we didn’t change a thing. The suspension was off at the BITD Laughlin race so we went testing with Geiser Bro’s and dialed them in, apparently the previous owner liked driving a basketball because all the reb rubes front and back were pretty much wide open, so we adjusted all the bypass tubes and are very happy with the truck now.
it’s all stripped and actually having the Underdrive mounted today, than time for a full prep for 2020.
Great racing with you guys

MTPyle

Reaction
Here is the in car cam from my race. Day 1 heat 5.

A couple things stuck out while I watched the video. For one I have no idea what I was thinking at the start Finish line stop. I totally didn’t stop and the guy clearly said stop. Haha I for sure deserve that penalty.

also I think I need to get more aggressive on passing. I usually wait awhile and make sure I have plenty of room. I lost a lot of time following.

I wasn’t pushing hard in this race. I wanted to make sure I kept it together for the guys to drive.

when passing one red truck after the proving grounds I kind of cut him off haha. Sorry to who ever that was. It was a red armada truck that ended with not fenders. But the good news is I had to go into the pit and change a tire and I got back out as he was coming thru the pits. So I didn’t lose too much time. Thanks to my pit guys and all the guys that helped us from other teams. So cool to see strangers help us out.

MTPyle

Reaction
Thanks.

here is day 2 heat 5 with Connor (23) my son driving and Carson (16) co driving.

Mud got on the cam in the first lap but still good video for the first lap. They were pretty fast and passed a few trucks and a class1 buggy, but the buggy got back by them after the long straight away. Power matters. Haha.

overall I think they had a smooth and pretty fast pace.

mike

Bravo

Reaction
I think you guys crashed right in front of my boys. I will see if they have video. You guys looked fast, that’s a fast truck, it’s Terry’s truck from last year, right?

So much to learn in this sport. We have rolled our truck 3 times and made many many mistakes.

Are you guys running 6100 in BITD for 2020?

Mike
Yea, its the old Householder truck. She is a heavy pig, but a tank. We noticeably were able to creep up on people in the rough stuff.

We are going to stick with SNORE next year, and also run a couple BITD, but not the whole series.

If you had crash video.. that would be awesome!! InstantImages got the sequence on photos, but haven't seen video yet. Of course the damn Go Pro died before we did it!! F those things, they never last.

Not to hijack, but here are the crash pics.. everyone likes crash pics.

Attachments

MTPyle

Reaction
Wow that’s a great pic sequence.sorry for the crash though. Do you guys have the 525hp engine? Our truck is pretty heavy also. We are 5700lbs.

the boys didn’t turn on the camera for the heat you guys went over. I guess they don’t function as well when they get up before the sun. Haha

you guys did make this video though. Hehe

Mike