• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    764.4 KB · Views: 304

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
We are tearing the truck all the way down and blasting, re paint, and redoing all the electrical. We decided to go with Switch-Pros PDU since its very simple and we do not need any of the CanBus features of Motec and Racepak. Should be a look cleaner and more powerful than switches and breakers. With our AEM dash it will be a sweet set up.

We are updating our lighting package with new Rigid lights. Moving our radiator back down where it was designed to go in front of fuel tank and out of the air stream. New seat belts, new fire suppression, new helmet pumpers from Rugged, new Switchblade fire extinguisher mounts, And a few other updates.

Sent off the shocks to Fox for rebuild.

Here is a sneak peek at our new Carbon fiber dash, this will be worth at least 5mph in speed. Hehe.

9A765F2C-8D47-4403-A0C4-747C81EEF691.jpg

51rcr

RDC Crypto
Sounds like some good upgrades. Iam going to go with switch pros for most all but a few switches also.
I have a CO2 bottle on board for air if i need it. I figure i just as well put it to use since ill be carrying it. I plan to run and loop the plastic line around and if a fire gets hot enough it melts the line. I also have a fire sense set up, a fire bottle and a Halon bottle plus 4 extinguishers. No fire crew around in desert racing and not only for personal but its a fast way to not have nothing left quick.

Curious where you had your battery disconnect mounted and if you were switching the positive or the negative? Also is it wired as an emergency engine kill?

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
51rcr,

Our battery switch is located between the seats down low. Its a 2 battery switch with two outputs. One output goes to Alternator and the other to the starter. Then from the alternator there is a cable to goes to the power distribution.

If the switched is turned to off while the engine is running it does not cut off the engine as the alt is powering the power bus. You have to shut off ignition power which kills the ECU. Not sure how to set it up any different. This is the way it came when the truck was built. We just have our process of Co dog shuts down battery switch and driver shuts off ECU power. Seems to work for fast emergency shut down.

First couple practices we had both going for battery switch which caused a problem. Funny thing is in many in car cams of crashes most teams both go for battery switch and fight each other.

Our process in a roll over or crash is - Brace yourself and hold on, Co does battery cut off, Driver does ECU cut off, Co hits Broke down button on tracker, if quiet and no cars coming Co gets out first, then signals Driver to get out while watching for traffic. then Co gets handheld radio out of bag.

Mike

RDC Crypto
"brace yourself"? Aren't the belts and HNR doing that? Infants and drunks don't brace themselves prior to collisions, yet seem to often escape unharmed in comparison to those that stiff brace for impact.

How does one bracing oneself in a crash help?

Perhaps grabbing the opposing shoulder belt with each hand would be a better policy?

Thanks!

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Haha, good point.

The co driver would cross arms and grab the shoulder belts then we put in Oh I failed spelling handles. Now its just grab those and put feet on foot bar. I think grabbing the handles is better than holding onto harness. either way It seems better to brace than get thrown around. I know everyone has great harness and neck restrains but you see a lot of rag dolls in roll overs that have in car cams.

Mike

RDC Crypto
Do rag dolls tear muscle or break bones? That's the point. Thanks!

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
this setup worked for me, 4 post is in middle of dash& kills Everything, both people can reach.hella is for safety back up for grounded out pos .wire.buddy gave me radio schematic idea, stuff you want left on when you are broke down.never wired that in.always had that direct to number one batt.
20180727_190158.jpg
1559078600793524439208.jpg

Last edited:

MAC56

RDC Crypto
This mount is beyond my expectations, very very well thought out and executed. The 4 For my TT arrived today ( two for 10 lb external, one 5 lb for inside and one spare to refill the truck mid race should the need arise.
matt at Red Rocket Racing should be proud of what he is offering. I paid full price and they are worth every penny. When someone does anything for safety that is this good they should be recognized for their efforts.

tapeworm

RDC Crypto
Do rag dolls tear muscle or break bones? That's the point. Thanks!

Do rag dolls keep there arms inside the vehicle and free from crush zones? Window nets may keep arms inside the vehicle, but they don’t prevent limbs from finding their way into a void space between mounted objects and bent metal. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with holding on to something while a vehicle is rolling. I’d much rather deal with a sprain/strain than a crush injury.

Btw, great job practicing getting out of the vehicle quickly. Probably the single best thing you can do to prepare for a fire scenario.

RDC Crypto
LOL, you reminded me of a guy who would brace himself all the time and would be exhausted after an afternoon ride in a Baja Bug.

You've also presented a Straw Man fallacy by limiting the discussion to non-violent rollovers with no hard impacts or flips, let alone collisions with items other than earth.

Straw man - Wikipedia

And did you miss the suggestion to grab the opposing shoulder strap?

That also serves to protect wrists, etc., from spinning steering wheels.

YMMV, go in peace.

Last edited:

MasTacos

RDC Crypto
Great write-up, I love the honest assessment of what failed, I think it shows great character.

For the fire extinguishers, depending on how often you're racing them on the truck, you may want to get them serviced more regularly than what the mfg recommends since they're getting knocked around a lot. You may also want to pull the pins just to make sure they're functioning properly, before each race.

Please make sure to have the roll cage looked at. Being exposed to heat like that can change the strength/rigidity of the metal and compromise the structural safety of the vehicle.

51rcr

RDC Crypto
This mount is beyond my expectations, very very well thought out and executed. The 4 For my TT arrived today ( two for 10 lb external, one 5 lb for inside and one spare to refill the truck mid race should the need arise.
matt at Red Rocket Racing should be proud of what he is offering. I paid full price and they are worth every penny. When someone does anything for safety that is this good they should be recognized for their efforts.

Thats 100% spot on. When i seen the original post i thought so many dont know about these great mounts that are out there. I have to make sure they know whats available. So this quits happening. I seen a UTV video not long after the post. I think from the MORR race of a utv and bystander helping and struggled with 2 hands to get an extinguisher free.
I vistited with him lots as i was fascinated with his mount. Great guy and a has the best product. I hope that soon everyone has them. So they got the best and he gets some $ for what he came up with and produces.
I like how you justify the purchase for the chase rig!! nice

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Mastacos, Thanks and good point on metel after heat. We will have it all the way down to raw metal so it will be easy to inspect and check out. fortently the fire was not close to any critical structural bars. But still worth the time to make sure they are all good.

51rcr, I can't wait to get our Switchblade mounts. Thanks for sharing the link. I need to sell my old mounts before everyone finds out about the Switchblade. Hehe.

We got a lot more torn down and man this scares the heck out of me to tear this thing down. I keep wanting to make changes but keep telling myself what works is good and leave it alone. The ripple effect of changes can really mess the truck up.

Mike

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Update

Chassis is all faded up and in the paint shop for a new coat of Steel It. Hopefully we will get it back in a couple days and can start to re assemble.

The Fab work on the chassis was way more work than we thought LOL. We replaced all bent and banged up tubes. Were relocated the Radiator, new seats mounts, new seat belt mounts for new cam belts, repaired any cracks, strengthened areas that crack, and removed all the old tabs and mounts (I bet we pulled out 30lbs of un used tabs)

The chassis is as good as new and in some ways better.

Engine coil packs and wire harness are done, Rebuilt Alt, new starter, all new sensors, new flex plate, new PCM, and rebuilt PS pump. So our engine is ready to go.

Newly rebuilt trans and torque convertor are on their way back to us.

Have headers getting ceramic coated, and all of our sheet metal panels getting cleaned up and re powder coated.

new Hood and new carbon fiber dash including 12"gps, new radio and coms, all new mechanical gauges, and new switch pros PDU

MAN WHAT A PROJECT!!! AND WE ONLY HAVE 4 WEEKS UNTIL V2R

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1572.jpeg
    IMG_1572.jpeg
    991.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1579.jpeg
    IMG_1579.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1582.jpeg
    IMG_1582.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 275
  • IMG_1584.jpeg
    IMG_1584.jpeg
    793.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1575.jpeg
    IMG_1575.jpeg
    656.6 KB · Views: 314

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Got the truck back in our shop to start assembly.

Big work load is new wiring, switch pros, and dash.

Got the dash all laid out and the wires ran for the rear and upper part of the truck. Once we get all the wires ran we will take out the harness and put in sleeve and heat shrink.

Made a heat sink mounting plate for the Switch Pros. Figured can’t hurt to keep them cool.

Switch pro plate

Attachments

• DE55FD62-0618-4239-BF62-5678CE1842C3.jpeg
    DE55FD62-0618-4239-BF62-5678CE1842C3.jpeg
    709.4 KB · Views: 213

Ikaika

RDC Crypto
Got the truck back in our shop to start assembly.

Big work load is new wiring, switch pros, and dash.

Got the dash all laid out and the wires ran for the rear and upper part of the truck. Once we get all the wires ran we will take out the harness and put in sleeve and heat shrink.

Made a heat sink mounting plate for the Switch Pros. Figured can’t hurt to keep them cool.

Switch pro plate

*****Where did you obtain that dash from ?

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
Update

Chassis is all faded up and in the paint shop for a new coat of Steel It. Hopefully we will get it back in a couple days and can start to re assemble.

The Fab work on the chassis was way more work than we thought LOL. We replaced all bent and banged up tubes. Were relocated the Radiator, new seats mounts, new seat belt mounts for new cam belts, repaired any cracks, strengthened areas that crack, and removed all the old tabs and mounts (I bet we pulled out 30lbs of un used tabs)

The chassis is as good as new and in some ways better.

Engine coil packs and wire harness are done, Rebuilt Alt, new starter, all new sensors, new flex plate, new PCM, and rebuilt PS pump. So our engine is ready to go.

Newly rebuilt trans and torque convertor are on their way back to us.

Have headers getting ceramic coated, and all of our sheet metal panels getting cleaned up and re powder coated.

new Hood and new carbon fiber dash including 12"gps, new radio and coms, all new mechanical gauges, and new switch pros PDU

MAN WHAT A PROJECT!!! AND WE ONLY HAVE 4 WEEKS UNTIL V2R

Mike
Mike thank you for the update. It is nice to see all the work you are doing. This is not cheap and I hope the best for you and the family when you have your first race again.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Ikaika, We got the CF dash from David Winner of Fabtech. It was made for our Trophy Lite R8. Its a full size dash. our original one was fiberglass but we got this one made in CF. Only gotcha was that our old one had been stretched wider after it came out of the mold on the driver side. We didn't know this and once we went to CF we could not modify it. So its got a 2" gap on the driver side. The cost was pretty reasonable.

Honda48X, thanks. We are pushing to get it back together for V2R. each day that goes by I am getting more and more nervous. But once we have the dash and wiring done the rest should go pretty fast as its all just bolt in and already proven. Only thing I am worried about is our shock package. Fox swapped out our bypass tubes for 1" to make our 3.5's work better. We cant fit 4.0 so Fox was kind enough to modify ours to get the best performance. I just hope the larger tubes fit. any mod can have a huge ripple effect. The support we are getting from Fox is amazing. When we first got our truck Fox was not a great partner, and now they are one of the best.

We have about two weeks to get this thing back together for test and tune with Fox. I don't even want to know what I have spent on it. I had heard that buying a Race truck was the cheapest part and man has that come true. I am spent triple what I paid for this truck. LOL