• Forum membership has its advantages....

6122 Vegas to Reno recap

MTPyle

Again figured I would share our experiance at the V2R fo those that have been following our season of ups and downs. This was a pretty tough race for us to get ready for after the fire at SS300, see that thread on here if you haven't to see what happened and follow the rebuild. I will try and start where the SS300 thread stopped as it pretty much went from SS300 to V2R with no break. LOL

We got the truck pretty much done ready for V2R at the last minute. the day before qualifying we did tuning with Fox, which was not the original plan but with things out of our control we didn't have time to test before then (see UPS threw away our Bypass thread). Tuning went well but was brutal hot. Got done around 5 and headed to Vegas to install our Hood, doors, and the wrap. Rick Geiser personally delivered our doors to us on the side of the highway next to the big neon colored statue by Jean, that's service.

Cutting and fitting fiberglass in a parking lot is not fun but we got it done. It was about 1:30am when the wrap guys wrapped up. Our wrap material wasn't complete and some of the new panels were the wrong color. So we did the best we could. Below is pic of the wrap getting installed.

We got back to the hotel around 2am and the truck is ready for qualifying. We had to get up at 5am to get to Apex in time. We were starting qualifying in 4th first thing. Long story short Connor and I took off and the truck was working great, I planned to be very conservative and just hope for a mid level time. Were going thru the Fox proving grounds and the truck just wanted to go fast LOL It was amazing. Came into the first hard left into the wash and got on 2 wheels. I didn't save it and we went on our lid. Totally my fault. So upsetting just hanging upside down, was so pissed at myself. While taking out the plugs to drain any oil in the cylinder I lost a spark plug. So we had to get towed out. Thanks to the volunteer guys that helped us. Oh and thanks to Alexander Ford 6100 for giving us a spark plug to get the truck in the trailer. So great to see competitors helping each other. (side note, during the race we came across Alexander ford 6100 upside down in the craziest place up the hill. I so wanted to stop and help but it was super sketch and we had two trucks on our a$$. they were fine and out of the truck but I felt bad driving by. I forgot to ask them how the heck they got up there, LOL)

Back to the hotel parking lot to get the truck back together for the start in the morning. Our guys worked hard and by midnight we had it all put together and race ready. We forgot one detail that will come haunt us later. We had a pre race list of things to do and on that list was replace Fuel filters. We wanted to wait until after testing and qualifying to put new filters in. We knew we wanted brand new ones for 500 miles in the hot race.

I had a new Co driver Vince with me for my half of the race. We had planned to get Vince dialed in on the truck before the race but really ran out of time. Race morning was the first time he had belted in with all his gear, not good. This made me very nervous as I am a practice for safety kind of guy, especially after our SS300 fire. its crazy how we can plan to do things right then things happen to put us in a position we said we would never be in. There was no way I was going to race without an experienced Co driver and here I was. Vince has been racing before but not in our truck.

I would race to Pit 8 and then Connor and Carson my two sons would jump in and bring her home. I was committed to drive smart and give them the truck in great condition. We took off at the end of a long line of trucks. I think we started 74 overall. I had some PTSD about rolling so I took the corners slow and took my time to get settled in. I was actually shocked that the guy behind us didn't catch us, I kept asking if anyone was there as I felt like I was going pretty slow. I think for the first 175 miles we never caught anyone and never got anyone behind us. We passed a lot of broken or wrecked truck on the side but were pretty much staying in our place. Truck was doing great and we started to step up the pace a tiny bit.

Coming thru a wash I hit a big rock on the passenger rear. I knew it was going to take out the tire. With the Inner liner its hard to know if you have a flat but in a couple miles it was clear it was flat so we pulled over and Vince got out. The tire change took what seemed like an eternity. pretty soon I see 10 cars coming, I was like WTF this isn't good, I hate racing around 10 cars, they are worse than SxS. 10 cars go fast in the tight and leave us but we catch them in the big stuff or faster roads. You catch them and then they take off. And for some reason all 10 car drivers seem like they have a chip on their shoulder about trucks. They seem like they have something to prove and race us harder than other 6100's. (I know thats a stereotype but its mostly true, that being said there are some nice guy 10 cars). I kept yelling to hurry up as we got passed by I think 6 10 cars. I think we were there for almost 15 minutes. Vince got in the truck and was totally gassed. it was super hot and its a lot of work to change a 37" tire in the heat and then get strapped back in. He for some reason forgot both of his gloves so with only one glove he could not pick up the hot flat tire. With my new rear view mirror I could see him just looking at the tire on the ground. LOL

Anyway back on track and need to be smart about passing these 10 cars. The dust was crazy and we went thru more dust at full speed than I have ever done. Super scary. At one point we were going about 90 in the dust on a straight rode. All of the sudden I could feel the terrain change under me and I knew we were hitting sage brush and not on course. I asked Vince if we were on course and he said no. I slowed down and started to turn back towards the course and then in front of us I see a yellow jacket and a tripod next to a car. We moved over but man that scared the hell out of me. We could have gone full speed into that guy. The crazy part is you had to go thru the dust blind on those long flat areas. the dust never went away and if you went slow you would get hit from behind. So we really didn't have a choice but made sure we were at least on course on the GPS. Vince in his defense was pretty sick after the tire change and was doing what ever he could to not get sick. So he was not on his game.

Cruising along and bam engine stops. We pull over to a safe place and realize the #1 fuel pump had popped the breaker. It was dead, so we switched to #2 and took off. Then going thru some really tight stuff we had someone hit the push to pass. We found a clean spot to pull over and nobody was there. I was like WTF so we took off and kept going. couple minutes later the same thing happened. We pulled over and nobody there. This happened 3 times and on the forth time I looked back and someone was there, I think it was the honda truck. We moved over and let them by, at this point i was not going to mess up the truck this close to handing it off. As we were following the Honda truck in slight dust I went off the road. We went down a embankment and it was sketchy for sure. I kept it going and got back on course. Then I said we need to keep it clean and not follow in tight stuff in the dust, duh.

When we got to Pit 8 we did our crew change, tire change, topped off fuel, and swapped the #1 pump out for a new one. This was a long pit but I wasn't going to send the truck out with only 1 pump after one had failed. Connor and Carson took off and were making good time. Then the fuel pressure would not hold on either pump. He had to switch back and forth and keep both on to stay close to 60psi. It was jumping all over from 40psi to 60psi. I was thinking we heat soaked the fuel and the pumps were getting hot and vapor locking. Then I realize that we forgot to change filters. basically we were not getting fuel because we had old clogged filters. Dang another Prep mistake that is getting us in the race. But they are moving OK so I made the call to keep going and not stopping and changing filters.

Connor and Carson kept pushing on and making good time. Then it got dark. Connor turned on the light bar and upper pods and they were faced down to the hood and blowing out his vision. We had the light bar off for qualifying and while it was in the trailer it got knocked and out of adjustment. We need to make a mount for the bar to protect it when its off the truck. So they ran with only the front ambers and small pods. Then one of the white front pods failed. It was one of the two lights that we didnt replace after the fire, it seemed fine but it wasn't. So they had very limited lighting and an engine that was a mess with low fuel pressure. They were not going to push too hard, we needed the finish so bad. So that last hour we lost I think two positions due to lights and fuel issues but we made it to the finish line. We had 4 goals for this race, finish in the top 10, bring the truck back in one piece, be at the finish mesa with people still there (most of our races we show up to the finish line and it's only the MC there and he is tired haha), and be safe. We finished 12th, there was still people at the finish line, and the truck was in pretty good shape. So 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

So far this truck has been absolutly amazing. The truck has never let us down and takes a beating. Each race we get taught a lesson about proper prep. Every problem we have had in a race is due to a mistake in prep. For a rookie Father Son team that works out of our garage that is expected. We are learning so many lessons about racing and life. I think the saying its 80% prep, 10% driver, and 10% pit crew is correct. That has been our experience this season. If we take out our prep mistakes we would be sitting in the top 3 in points, I am sure just about every team can say the same. We are sitting 9th currently in 6100 points which is still decent for us. The 8th truck in points is last years 6100 champion Householder. So to be anywhere near them is a honor. This desert racing business is tough.

We are super excited about Laughlin. We have raced there twice in last years LDC and the Rage. We finished the Rage but pretty far back as we were super slow. We rolled the last day of LDC so got a DNF but were also pretty slow. First day of last years LDC the trans was stuck in 2nd, then the second day the steering was locked up due to no grease and that made it hard for Connor to make turns and he rolled. The truck was pretty new to us and still hadn't not learned much about it. I can't believe how far we and our truck has come from the last LDC so we are very excited to see what our experience over the season will give us there. LDC is a double points race but since SS300 was also a double points and we got DNF I doubt we will catch up in points. We are sitting 3rd in Rookie of the year points Behind Bader and St Peter again due to the SS300 DNF. both of those guys in front of us are running solid and have finished every race. They would both have to have a really bad LDC for us to catch them. But its racing and anything is possible. We learned LDC can be a crazy race and knowing the course is a huge deal there. Also LDC is one of the highest percentage of DNF. Two days of racing gives a lot of opportunity to have a problem, Man this is so exciting. LOL

Thanks for reading and thanks to Whipple Superchargers for supporting us in this season. We have been very fortunate to have some great people helping us and some great companies supporting us.

Mike
IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1869.jpeg
IMG_1864.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1860.jpeg
IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1841.jpeg
IMG_1845.jpeg

MTPyle

looking at the photos I posted reminded me of an issue we had to solve. Connor is messing with new Trans fans in one pic.

When we moved the radiator down flat behind the cab to its original position we were getting higher than normal water temps. Since Foutz has built a few more of these trucks with the radiator in that same position I figured it must work. Then I was checking fans and noticed the trans fans were blowing up and basically putting hot air into the intake side of the radiator. So we ordered reverse flow fans for trans to push the air down and not up. Made a huge difference and now the water temps are normal, even thru the hot V2R course they stayed cool. Crazy how many little details and make a huge difference. Not sure but this may have been the reason the previous owner moved the radiator. He may not have realized the trans fans were pushing this way.

Edit- For some reason I can't edit my original post. But correction we are 4th in rookie of the year (note they have the order wrong on the web site but the points right)

Mike

Last edited:

geno760

I love seeing that truck doing work. Now that y'all have rolled it y'all can get back to more important things like racing! Haha. Glad to see this thing hit the finish line at V2R. Thanks for sharing your race story like you always do and not afraid to speak about the minor or mental mis-cues that always happen when prepping and racing a truck. Keep the momentum going and keep reaching those goals. If TL can help with anything let us know.

MTPyle

Not sure if anyone is reading these and enjoying but either way I will keep creating digital waste and share what we are doing.

Got the truck in the shop today to start prep and changes for Laughlin.

We took off the coils to get the truck on the bumps to see how much space we have under chassis to see if we can lower our ride height. We have 2.5" from bottom of chassis to ground. Not too bad but seems like we could go lower. Problem is lower A arms are pretty close to chassis at full bump. So not much room for improvement. Maybe .5" but not worth all the effort to move bumps. We also found we are not getting all the way into our bump zone of our bypass. We have 2" of bypass shaft showing at full bump. So I think we will add 2" to bottom eye let to get more into our bump zone of the bypass.

We ordered a new Fiberwerx Body and will be doing some extra work to fit it just right and lower our body. Our current body was about 3" too high as the hood hit our suspension cross bar. On the new body we will make a custom cowl bump to get the hood lower. With the Hood lower we can lower the rest of the body. All of this to get our CG lower and improve handling.

Also upgrading our rear bypasses to 4.0 and selling our 3.5. our 3.5 can't keep up with the spring rate and weight of the truck.

Then we are sending our rear end housing off to Tubeworks to get repaired. We have a slight crack that I do not want to get bigger and fail.

Swaping our trans for our other trans that's all fresh. We have two that are exactly the same and swap ever other race.

Need to get our Drive lines all re worked. Bent one at V2R and one at Knolls. We have 3 so we will send all 3 off to get dialed in.

Another project is to create a heat shield for our fuel pumps. We moved down the radiator and now that heat is heating our fuel pumps. During V2R we had some vapor lock and pretty sure that made one pump fail. Not really needed for LDC but still needs to get done.

also need to check rear sway bar thickness. I think Curry makes a thicker one and we could use some more sway control now that we added more spring rate.

Cant wait to get this stuff done and off to testing. We want to spend some time on different tire set ups and pressures as well as shock tuning with a focus on handling. Seems like we are always pushing and never have a easy prep. But all this hard work has made our truck 100X better than it was a year ago. LDC was one of our first races in this truck and man we have come a long way.

Mike

Attachments

MTPyle

nice write up. Keep working out the items and it will pay off. We changed a 80 different things on fragile44 before we got her to where she is and there are still more to go.
Thanks!! Haha love the name of the truck. Its crazy how there are so many details and they all effect others. Change one thing and you have to change 3 more.

Will Kyle drive Fragile 44 at LDC or back in the Camburg truck?

Mike

MTPyle

Speaking for myself, I think they are great.
Thank you, It's nice to know someone is enjoying my post. Half of me thinks it's silly to share all of our mess ups and makes us look like idiots. But the other half thinks I wish others would do the same. We can all learn from each others mistakes.

Off-raod racing has been a humbling experience. I cant imagine a more difficult sport to be in, which is part of the draw.

Mike

AZFR8TRAIN

Please continue. It is great to read the stories I wish more would also share but then again it makes your post that much more enjoyable to read and learn from. Thank you for the time to do those. I wish you were closer I’d be more than happy to help Prep and chase on your team.

TJERGENSEN

Thanks!! Haha love the name of the truck. Its crazy how there are so many details and they all effect others. Change one thing and you have to change 3 more.

Will Kyle drive Fragile 44 at LDC or back in the Camburg truck?

Mike
Camburg . Fragile is being prepped for parker

ColeA

for the heat shield call heat shield products. they make amazing stuff and have products that are way different than the traditional way

43mod

A tip given to me recently from an old broken down racer ?. Use tape , string and a go pro to watch how air is working at speed. Simple old school way to learn something.