6122 Whipple Superchargers 2020 Vegas to Reno Recap

MTPyle

6122 V2R recap

Prep background for V2R-
We changed our fueling system to Pressure pro which required some fuel cell and fuel fill changes. We added dual red head, changed pickups to Hydramat, removed pre filters, and added -10 filtered vent.

Also in this prep we noticed a major difference in Caster on one side. Come to find out the upper arms have been bent since we bought the truck. We have always just focused on camber and toe. Not sure why we never checked Caster, rookie move. It was 5 degrees difference. So we adjusted that and for the first time left the shop with perfect alignment.

Last race we were told to make some adjustments to the bypasses for qualifying. We did and apparently we only changed the rear. So for SS300 qualifying we had a soft front and stiff rear. Got that all back dialed in to what SDG had set it up as.

Qualifying-
We planned to test at Apex the night before qualifying in the dark. We got there as many teams were leaving and were told we could not go anywhere near the course which was pretty much the entire area. We only got some time to adjust our lights. Watched RG test for awhile then left for Vegas.

Wednesday comes around and we are ready. We do the parade lap and can’t see a thing. The dust is really really bad. I know the area pretty well and could not tell where the heck we were. Basically we made very little notes and realized the only lights that worked were our ambers.

From the results of TT is was clear the first guy had a huge advantage. For this reason Ray Griffith offered to not take his parade lap and run full speed in front of the first starter to create dust for them. Pretty smart move for Ray as then he got a clean dust free practice lap. Really BITD should have had a TT or some other class run first to create dust and not give a 6100 an advantage. BTW We love Ray and glad if anyone got an advantage it was him, and he was the one with the idea so he deserved it.

We Started behind a Brenthel that I think is a newer racer. You have to give it to Brenthel for getting new racers into our sport. LOL but we were worried this truck may be slower.

We took off and the truck was amazing. By far the most balanced it has ever been and man it was fast. Was the first time I was on two wheels in the corner and felt in control. We felt like we were pretty fast then around half way got into thick dust. Basically crawled the last half as we caught the truck in front of us dust. Thought about asking for another run as with the TT lots of guys got to run again that caught the trucks in front of them. But it was late and to be honest I did not want to mess up the truck. I was still having PTSD from rolling at last years V2R qualifying. And the rules were made clear that I had to start with all panels. I guess Brenthel 6100 SS300 no fiberglass start created a need to clarify a rule that we all already understood. So now it was a serious rule, LOL. We opted to take our run and get ready to race. We ended up 24th which was way worse than I thought. If I would have known we were that far back I would have pushed for a re run. But we were happy with the truck and how fast we went with the conditions we had. This was the first qualifying that I felt we did well and did not leave time on the table. We got out of the truck happy and High fived, It was actually fun for a change.

The dust was changing all night and some trucks got cleaner air than others. So it was a crap shoot and going to mix up the race results. We really liked the actual course and felt it was a great test for V2R. If it was in the day and no dust it would have been perfect.

Race Day
Felt good and relaxed in staging. Got of the line and was in dust right away. I was like, OK this is how it’s going to be today. Was lifting in the dust and not quite comfortable pushing blind yet. After awhile I got back in the grove and I felt good. The truck was dialed and my Co driver and I were in sync. The guys added some extra water bottles in my camelpack on my door. It was thicker than normal and making it so I could not get my arm on the outside of the wheel. Pretty uncomfortable but not much I could do. I should have stopped and fixed it right then but didn’t.

We were running strong and had the 2nd fastest time from RM-50 to RM-100. We caught the truck in front of us at Pit 2 and right after the pit got around them. The water bottle issue got worse as it was hard to drive with my left hand and shift. So I was not shifting into 1st and back as much as I should in tight stuff. But we kept pushing. Soon we were in the 45mph speed zone and could see Householder. He started 3 trucks in front of us so that was a good sign. This was a super technical section and not a place for me to mess with the water bottles.

Stopped at our first fuel stop and it went well. Pressure pro was really fast and got us filled up in less than 30 seconds. I did not know this at the time but the fill hose had failed and had a leak that the pit guys were working on.

Came out of the pit behind Travis Williams and he quickly took off. The dust was bad and no way to pass out of that pit. Travis is fast so I figured if I stayed in his dust trail we will do just fine. So for the next while we took it easy and wasn’t going to push too far in his dust. Mistake for sure. Pretty soon we realized it was not Travis but a slower 1 car that we were following. Travis and Terry had got around this guy fast and I was just following him. So we pushed but it was so dusty. At one point we got off course to try and pass on a silt bed. I said to my co driver that we should get back on track before we get our lunch eaten by a cross rut. Literally 15 seconds later we hit a huge hole at 95mph and it sent us flying. It was one of the hardest hits we have taken but the truck seemed fine so we kept going.

Finally got fed up with this and decided to push thru the dust blind and get on his bumper. We had been behind him for 50 miles. As we were getting close there was a little cross wind and the right side was clear of dust. We moved over and instantly saw a Motorcycle, man that was close. We got around him and kept pushing in the dust to get to the class 1. About 30 seconds later we see his bumper and I tap him. He moves and we are finally by.

Around RM225 we lose fuel pressure. I switch to pump #2 and it will still not hold pressure. Was confusing for sure. It would only maintained pressure with both pumps on. This took me about 5 miles of messing around to figure out. So we left both pumps on and just raced. After the race we checked and both pumps work. Pretty sure our filtered vent line got clogged and created a vacuum in the fuel sell that one pump could not overcome. So we need to make some adjustments to that vent system.

We get to Pit 7 where we are changing drivers, tires, and fuel. As I pull up to our pit I notice that the pit mat in on a hill. I was thinking that’s not good, LOL. Nick and I jump out of the truck and Carson and Connor get in. When Connor gets in the driver seat the truck leans over and the tire hits the ground with the lug nuts off. This breaks the bolts holding the drive plate. The tire guy pulls the wheel off and the drive plate comes off and the axle slides out. I was watching this all happen in slow motion.

Then someone yells fire and there is smoke in the cockpit. The boys go to jump out and realize it’s a brush fire under the floor board. They pour water on it and it goes out. Some brush got in by the header and ignited. I was thinking this is a disaster. They get the axle back in, drive plate back on, and topped off gear oil. We get the boys buckled up and they are on course again. Total Pit time was 6 minutes, which wasn’t bad for all that went wrong. Our crew was pretty fast at fixing problems they created. Haha.

After I get my helmet off I see the issue with the fuel fill line. The repair wasn’t great and fuel was leaking out of it. Not OK at all. So I told the guys we need to fix this right or not use it. They worked on it while we jumped into Chase 1 to get to next pit. The fuel trailer was supposed to go directly to pit 10. It was clear they were not going to make it in time. So we took chase 1 to a gas station and loaded up a dump can. Figured if we get a dump can in at 10 they can make it to 12 where hopefully the fuel trailer can catch up. Got most of the dump can in at Pit 10. That stop added about 20 seconds, so not bad.

The boys were moving fast on course and it was clear we had no time to spare. At RM 418 the get a front flat. For some reason our pit miles list on the dash were wrong and it said Pit 12 was at RM420. Not sure how that happened but that gave Connor the info he needed to push with the flat and get to the pit. They ran 6 miles with the front and never got to the pit. They finally had radio coverage and asked us where pit 12 was. We told them 436 and they needed to change the tire on course. Fact was they would have sat at the pit for at least 5 minutes waiting for us anyway. Here comes another rookie move, they pull over in the sand to change the tire. What a mess, the jack could not get the front up so they had to dig and use max trax, the tire change took 17 minutes (facepalm).

We get set up at pit 12 and got the fuel line fixed correctly. As they were coming in they radioed that they had steering issues. Apparently when they ran with the flat for that long it filled the rack with dirt. We scramble to get grease to put in the rack. They come in and the fueling was fast and we got grease in the rack and it’s all good. In the panic to get to the rack our fire extinguisher guy was not on the extinguisher during fueling, major no no for sure.

They get back on course and then asked who was behind them. We had not noticed as we were all standing there talking about the fire extinguisher mess up. Then Connor radioed that it was a 6100 that they thought was a TT so they let them by. LOL He was so pissed. He then pushed hard to get that spot back. Caught the guy and he would not move over. Connor went to nerf the truck and at that moment the truck hit the brakes. They hit pretty hard and it destroyed the front of the truck and took out all of our grill lights. We did not have our light bar on as it seemed they would have enough day light left to finish. So they ended up with only one small light forward for the last 30 miles of the race.

One of the grill lights was pointing off to the left which would come in handy in about 10 miles. At about RM485 a female spectator ran over to the edge of the course and Flashed her titties for the boys. God Bless America. The lighting was perfect. The best part was they both looked over and neither of them said a word. LOL We will be sharing the go pro footage of this event. J

They pushed thru the last 20 miles as hard as they could with very little lights. They came across the line and received a cold finish line beer from Method race wheels. What a day and what a race. We finished 16th which wasn’t horrible but not what we were hoping for. Overall we had good on course speed and learned a lot of new lessons. Just when you think you are starting to learn the lessons this sport smacks you on the face and lets you know you do not know poop. There is a reason it takes teams years to find success. Speaking of that Congrats to Ray Griffith on his well-deserved win in 6100. He is one that has put in the time and worked his way to the top.

We have lots of work on pits and process. We really needed two more pit guys at this race. Its really hard to only have 10 total guys including the two in the truck. 8 Guys can only do so much, especially if some of them are new. Our truck is the best its been and that has paid off. Its clear we are getting faster and I think we can be in the top 5 if we get our pits dialed in, and stop making rookie mistakes. Good news is we have to fix the front bumper and the back bumper is in perfect shape Haha

On to our next race which is a local BOR 200 mile race to get more seat time and test our changed fuel vent system.

Mike

IMG_0433.jpeg

cynicwanderer

Awesome write up as usual. my races usually go like that too... learn lessons, apply them to the next race/season, learn new lessons... All the "Oh I failed spelling !!!" moments and near misses, etc... that's what makes me come back for more. And just think, we *pay* to have these experiences. BTW, I almost contacted you to see if you needed any help chasing, since I sat this one out.

mike_osborn

6122 V2R recap

Prep background for V2R-
We changed our fueling system to Pressure pro which required some fuel cell and fuel fill changes. We added dual red head, changed pickups to Hydramat, removed pre filters, and added -10 filtered vent.

Also in this prep we noticed a major difference in Caster on one side. Come to find out the upper arms have been bent since we bought the truck. We have always just focused on camber and toe. Not sure why we never checked Caster, rookie move. It was 5 degrees difference. So we adjusted that and for the first time left the shop with perfect alignment.

Last race we were told to make some adjustments to the bypasses for qualifying. We did and apparently we only changed the rear. So for SS300 qualifying we had a soft front and stiff rear. Got that all back dialed in to what SDG had set it up as.

Qualifying-
We planned to test at Apex the night before qualifying in the dark. We got there as many teams were leaving and were told we could not go anywhere near the course which was pretty much the entire area. We only got some time to adjust our lights. Watched RG test for awhile then left for Vegas.

Wednesday comes around and we are ready. We do the parade lap and can’t see a thing. The dust is really really bad. I know the area pretty well and could not tell where the heck we were. Basically we made very little notes and realized the only lights that worked were our ambers.

From the results of TT is was clear the first guy had a huge advantage. For this reason Ray Griffith offered to not take his parade lap and run full speed in front of the first starter to create dust for them. Pretty smart move for Ray as then he got a clean dust free practice lap. Really BITD should have had a TT or some other class run first to create dust and not give a 6100 an advantage. BTW We love Ray and glad if anyone got an advantage it was him, and he was the one with the idea so he deserved it.

We Started behind a Brenthel that I think is a newer racer. You have to give it to Brenthel for getting new racers into our sport. LOL but we were worried this truck may be slower.

We took off and the truck was amazing. By far the most balanced it has ever been and man it was fast. Was the first time I was on two wheels in the corner and felt in control. We felt like we were pretty fast then around half way got into thick dust. Basically crawled the last half as we caught the truck in front of us dust. Thought about asking for another run as with the TT lots of guys got to run again that caught the trucks in front of them. But it was late and to be honest I did not want to mess up the truck. I was still having PTSD from rolling at last years V2R qualifying. And the rules were made clear that I had to start with all panels. I guess Brenthel 6100 SS300 no fiberglass start created a need to clarify a rule that we all already understood. So now it was a serious rule, LOL. We opted to take our run and get ready to race. We ended up 24th which was way worse than I thought. If I would have known we were that far back I would have pushed for a re run. But we were happy with the truck and how fast we went with the conditions we had. This was the first qualifying that I felt we did well and did not leave time on the table. We got out of the truck happy and High fived, It was actually fun for a change.

The dust was changing all night and some trucks got cleaner air than others. So it was a crap shoot and going to mix up the race results. We really liked the actual course and felt it was a great test for V2R. If it was in the day and no dust it would have been perfect.

Race Day
Felt good and relaxed in staging. Got of the line and was in dust right away. I was like, OK this is how it’s going to be today. Was lifting in the dust and not quite comfortable pushing blind yet. After awhile I got back in the grove and I felt good. The truck was dialed and my Co driver and I were in sync. The guys added some extra water bottles in my camelpack on my door. It was thicker than normal and making it so I could not get my arm on the outside of the wheel. Pretty uncomfortable but not much I could do. I should have stopped and fixed it right then but didn’t.

We were running strong and had the 2nd fastest time from RM-50 to RM-100. We caught the truck in front of us at Pit 2 and right after the pit got around them. The water bottle issue got worse as it was hard to drive with my left hand and shift. So I was not shifting into 1st and back as much as I should in tight stuff. But we kept pushing. Soon we were in the 45mph speed zone and could see Householder. He started 3 trucks in front of us so that was a good sign. This was a super technical section and not a place for me to mess with the water bottles.

Stopped at our first fuel stop and it went well. Pressure pro was really fast and got us filled up in less than 30 seconds. I did not know this at the time but the fill hose had failed and had a leak that the pit guys were working on.

Came out of the pit behind Travis Williams and he quickly took off. The dust was bad and no way to pass out of that pit. Travis is fast so I figured if I stayed in his dust trail we will do just fine. So for the next while we took it easy and wasn’t going to push too far in his dust. Mistake for sure. Pretty soon we realized it was not Travis but a slower 1 car that we were following. Travis and Terry had got around this guy fast and I was just following him. So we pushed but it was so dusty. At one point we got off course to try and pass on a silt bed. I said to my co driver that we should get back on track before we get our lunch eaten by a cross rut. Literally 15 seconds later we hit a huge hole at 95mph and it sent us flying. It was one of the hardest hits we have taken but the truck seemed fine so we kept going.

Finally got fed up with this and decided to push thru the dust blind and get on his bumper. We had been behind him for 50 miles. As we were getting close there was a little cross wind and the right side was clear of dust. We moved over and instantly saw a Motorcycle, man that was close. We got around him and kept pushing in the dust to get to the class 1. About 30 seconds later we see his bumper and I tap him. He moves and we are finally by.

Around RM225 we lose fuel pressure. I switch to pump #2 and it will still not hold pressure. Was confusing for sure. It would only maintained pressure with both pumps on. This took me about 5 miles of messing around to figure out. So we left both pumps on and just raced. After the race we checked and both pumps work. Pretty sure our filtered vent line got clogged and created a vacuum in the fuel sell that one pump could not overcome. So we need to make some adjustments to that vent system.

We get to Pit 7 where we are changing drivers, tires, and fuel. As I pull up to our pit I notice that the pit mat in on a hill. I was thinking that’s not good, LOL. Nick and I jump out of the truck and Carson and Connor get in. When Connor gets in the driver seat the truck leans over and the tire hits the ground with the lug nuts off. This breaks the bolts holding the drive plate. The tire guy pulls the wheel off and the drive plate comes off and the axle slides out. I was watching this all happen in slow motion.

Then someone yells fire and there is smoke in the cockpit. The boys go to jump out and realize it’s a brush fire under the floor board. They pour water on it and it goes out. Some brush got in by the header and ignited. I was thinking this is a disaster. They get the axle back in, drive plate back on, and topped off gear oil. We get the boys buckled up and they are on course again. Total Pit time was 6 minutes, which wasn’t bad for all that went wrong. Our crew was pretty fast at fixing problems they created. Haha.

After I get my helmet off I see the issue with the fuel fill line. The repair wasn’t great and fuel was leaking out of it. Not OK at all. So I told the guys we need to fix this right or not use it. They worked on it while we jumped into Chase 1 to get to next pit. The fuel trailer was supposed to go directly to pit 10. It was clear they were not going to make it in time. So we took chase 1 to a gas station and loaded up a dump can. Figured if we get a dump can in at 10 they can make it to 12 where hopefully the fuel trailer can catch up. Got most of the dump can in at Pit 10. That stop added about 20 seconds, so not bad.

The boys were moving fast on course and it was clear we had no time to spare. At RM 418 the get a front flat. For some reason our pit miles list on the dash were wrong and it said Pit 12 was at RM420. Not sure how that happened but that gave Connor the info he needed to push with the flat and get to the pit. They ran 6 miles with the front and never got to the pit. They finally had radio coverage and asked us where pit 12 was. We told them 436 and they needed to change the tire on course. Fact was they would have sat at the pit for at least 5 minutes waiting for us anyway. Here comes another rookie move, they pull over in the sand to change the tire. What a mess, the jack could not get the front up so they had to dig and use max trax, the tire change took 17 minutes (facepalm).

We get set up at pit 12 and got the fuel line fixed correctly. As they were coming in they radioed that they had steering issues. Apparently when they ran with the flat for that long it filled the rack with dirt. We scramble to get grease to put in the rack. They come in and the fueling was fast and we got grease in the rack and it’s all good. In the panic to get to the rack our fire extinguisher guy was not on the extinguisher during fueling, major no no for sure.

They get back on course and then asked who was behind them. We had not noticed as we were all standing there talking about the fire extinguisher mess up. Then Connor radioed that it was a 6100 that they thought was a TT so they let them by. LOL He was so pissed. He then pushed hard to get that spot back. Caught the guy and he would not move over. Connor went to nerf the truck and at that moment the truck hit the brakes. They hit pretty hard and it destroyed the front of the truck and took out all of our grill lights. We did not have our light bar on as it seemed they would have enough day light left to finish. So they ended up with only one small light forward for the last 30 miles of the race.

One of the grill lights was pointing off to the left which would come in handy in about 10 miles. At about RM485 a female spectator ran over to the edge of the course and Flashed her titties for the boys. God Bless America. The lighting was perfect. The best part was they both looked over and neither of them said a word. LOL We will be sharing the go pro footage of this event. J

They pushed thru the last 20 miles as hard as they could with very little lights. They came across the line and received a cold finish line beer from Method race wheels. What a day and what a race. We finished 16th which wasn’t horrible but not what we were hoping for. Overall we had good on course speed and learned a lot of new lessons. Just when you think you are starting to learn the lessons this sport smacks you on the face and lets you know you do not know poop. There is a reason it takes teams years to find success. Speaking of that Congrats to Ray Griffith on his well-deserved win in 6100. He is one that has put in the time and worked his way to the top.

We have lots of work on pits and process. We really needed two more pit guys at this race. Its really hard to only have 10 total guys including the two in the truck. 8 Guys can only do so much, especially if some of them are new. Our truck is the best its been and that has paid off. Its clear we are getting faster and I think we can be in the top 5 if we get our pits dialed in, and stop making rookie mistakes. Good news is we have to fix the front bumper and the back bumper is in perfect shape Haha

On to our next race which is a local BOR 200 mile race to get more seat time and test our changed fuel vent system.

Mike

View attachment 217438
man...my race was boring compared to yours. Congrats on the solid finish after all of those obstacles! BTW, be sure to share that video :)

JDDurfey

I got flashed by some big hooters while I was sponsored by Hooters during the 06 Baja 1000. It was south of San Felipe in the whoops and I was so distracted for a second I almost crashed my bike hard! That would have been embarrassing, but if the chick had come to help me up it might have been worth it.

y2kbaja

Hold the phone. We were spectating at that spot, at the end of the video. If I would have known there was a show I would have moved up course with some ones!

MTPyle

Here is a video of the boys running down The Brenthal brothers in their 6100 truck at V2R

Its interesting to watch the flow and speed. Things get crazy towards the end when going down a power line road. The boys have some words about a call on a jump they flew over.

Overall they were doing pretty well and had a good pace.

Mike

Tipracer

Nice... the dust can really mess with your head, so so hard to push in the dust at those kinda of speeds

T.martin

That was great. Sounds and looks like you have a good system worked out for calling corners. Was he just calling that off of the GPS or did you have course notes? Running through the dust with telephone poles that close tends to make me tense as well.

MTPyle

T Martin
yes we had notes. We do have a pretty good system. We are getting better and better with it. The power poles were freaking me out to watch. Those blind crest are so stressful.

Stephen

crazy that’s what we do for fun. They are brothers so they have a shorter fuse with each other. Haha. Keep in mind Carson the Co driver is 17 years old. Connor the driver is 24

You should see the rest of the video. There are some amazing moments and some really bad moments. Just like life.

Mike

MTPyle

Here is a good clip of Connor and Carson passing the Brenthal that got by them after the pit. Carson (co driver) was convinced that they were not letting them by so then Connor went in for a nerf. The Brenthal brake checked and our truck hit them pretty hard. Took out our front grill and some lights.

That Brenthal square bumper does not fit well with our front bumper. LOL

Turn on sound

Mike