6122 Whipple Superchargers Silverstate300 race recap

MTPyle

Overall this race was one of our best races. It wasn't without drama and challenges but we finished without any truck issues and only placed where we did from driver issues. So for us thats a great day.

We had another long week leading up to the race. We got to Apex on Wednesday for testing knowing that qualifying was the next day. Lots of changes for this race that kept us behind even though we had so much time from Covid.

We removed our stock intake and installed the LT2 intake. The LT2 intake faces backwards and would give us a couple more HP. So we put it on and put our intake filter back in the cab. After a ton of research we decided to use a CBM large filter with a super short straight 4" tube with the MAF. We think the filter will hold up and we know it will give us great power and response. This was a pretty major project and took some time.

Also did some major fuel system upgrades.

We got with SDG to get our shocks dialed in and they did an amazing job. The truck was a cadillac and handled great.

Before we left for Apex we decided we wanted to get some lower gears for qualifying from Fortin. We ordered the underdrive gears and had them shipped to Gear works in Vegas. This was a last minute call and as always puts stress on us. LOL I wonder why we do this to ourselves but we knew that qualifying was key to this race so we needed all we could get. Our plan was to run the truck for a few hours and get some testing and seat time in then we would take out the Underdrive out and have Jeremy at Gearworks help us swap the parts. Figured UPS would show up around 10-11 So we go to Apex around 7am to get some work in before we had to tear it down. at around 10:30 we pulled the under drive and headed to gear works. Got there and the parts had not shown up. Long story short they didn't get there until 5pm. By the time we got them swapped and the under derive back in the truck it was pretty late. We only got about an hour of testing with the new gears. The truck seemed faster and I wasn't having to shift into 1st. Got loaded up and and back to the hotel by 10pm which was a record for us. Haha we have never had a full night sleep before qualifying.

Qualifying went OK but I was not pushing. Connor my son was Co driving and kept yelling at me to go faster. No matter how fast I want to go I am just too scared to wreck the truck before a race to push it in qualifying. The truck was fast and it handled amazing. I was just not driving up to the level of our truck, there was a lot left. In the end we finished 15th which was pretty disappointing. I know we are falser then that and I felt like I let the team down.

The next day was spent in the parking lot with lots of detail work and putting the race gear set back in the under drive. The team pulled a full day in the heat and got everything done and ready for race day. It was a long list and I think by the time we got back to the hotel it was midnight. But that included taking delivery of our new Yiro trailer that Jorge delivered to us. The crew got IV's from Finish line IV which was a really good idea as we were pretty dehydrated form the day in the 100 degree parking lot.

We had heard about the fires and knew the course would be changed. I was really ready for the first 30 miles of the course and had studied videos and notes extensively. My plan was to push hard early and catch the guy in front of me. That plan went out the window when I heard the start was changed to the finish line and I had Terry H in front of me. But I was still going to push.

Off the line it was me driving and my co driver Nick. We had made some adjustments after qualifying on the shocks and it was clear we went too far. The truck was pushing and too soft. It got better as fuel burned off but it was a hand full. That being said we still made pretty good time. By pit 1 we had made up 40 seconds on Terry and was in his dust which we would stay in pretty much most of the day until he broke. But I was blowing a lot of corners. At RM 60ish I blew a corner and went into some pretty thick tress. what a mess but came out of it OK. I think by Pit 2 I had blown about 6 corners 2 of which took lots of time to get back on course. I was pushing hard to get to Terry's bumper and the dust was horrible.

at RM 84 Nick tried to get a snack and ate some trail mix. It didn't stay down and he threw up in his helmet. LOL what a mess, check out the video.

We got to Pit 3 and were on Terry's tail. Leaving Caliente speed zone I had the opportunity to hit him and didn't. Was my first time chasing a fast guy in the dust and I just chicken out. I blew a few corners and just could not do what I needed to do. You can also watch that video on my youtube. Come to find out he was behind 4 other trucks and I was the caboose in a 6 truck dust train. Eventually a few of those trucks broke and pulled over. I was then on Brad Lovell for awhile and at one point on his tail but just could not bring myself to hit Brad. Brads tracker was not working and he didn't see our PTP.

We had planned to change crew and tires at Pit 4 but the pit radioed us and said the course had been shortened and we did not have time to change crew. This was not only confusing but not OK with me as my two boys were supposed to finish the race. We pulled into the pit and they would not get in. It took some extra time to work that out and then there was a truck leaving their pit behind us. So we got fuel and they sent us on our way with no tires and no crew change. My wife puts the cone on our hood to make sure we do not run anyone over. She we helping me get my safety net back up (which I should have never lowered) when the rest of the crew was yelling to go. She signaled for me to go even though the cone was still on the hood. kind of a mess but was OK.

Back on course we were running decent and picked up some time without dust. The pit radioed and said we needed to pick up the pace and we were only 12 seconds from picking up 2 spots so I started to push a little harder. I was going pretty hard and ended up blowing a corner and hitting a big rock. It took out the wheel and tire. It took awhile for us to make sure the tire was toast then I pulled over into a horrible spot to have Nick change the tire. The tire change took a very long time and many trucks passed us. It was a horrible feeling for sure, especially when it was fully my fault. The bent wheel cost us at least 12 minutes. and put us in 13th when we would have been in 6th, maybe 5th. We were so close to achieving our goal of a top 5.

again overall it was a really good race for us. We learned a lot and finally are dealing with driver issues not truck issues. We are trying to decide if we are racing V2R. we may be just getting to the point where we can be competitive but at the same time a 13th was pretty disappointing. Will we ever get there? Can i even drive at the lever required to compete in 6100? So many questions and the real issue is V2R was a mess last year and not fun at all so we have a nasty taste in our mouth about that race.

We have to get better at qualifying, nerfing, and changing tires. Thats a lot to improve on. LOL and thats all assuming we get our truck ready well again.

Our crew did an amazing job and gave us a near perfect truck. Thanks to Steve and his boys for helping us in the pits. We only needed 1 pit which was nice. That is something to be proud of for sure.

Check out my Youtube channel for some of the clips from the in car. Some of the blown corners, Nick throwing up in his helmet, the crazy pit 4 with cone, and the final rock that took us out of the top ten. the Blown corner a minute into the long clip was bad and then we had to argue over how we are communicating. LOL classic race discussion. I screwed up for sure and Nick was rightfully pissed. LOL

Michael Pyle Youtube channel

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

GBRACER

sounds like you need to stop being so nice, gently hitting a guy to let him know you want to pass is the way it is done, trackers dont always work and some peeps don't care if it tells them to pull over,
Stop making so many changes and drive the truck more, if you were battling for 1,2 or 3 position changes are needed to gain those tenths, but sounds like you are no where near that level, seat time with the same truck so you do not have to learn the truck every time you get in it, and it will save you thousands.
Your posts are great reading hope you do better, and don't be so hard on yourself,

dan200

#BSF200
Another great story. We all appreciate these.

I’m in agreement with the post above. Ya get to run without mechanical failure and I know the SDG guys literally dial suspension to be as close to perfect as a truck will allow. So ya have a running vehicle that rides the bumps right so now all ya need is practice and by your own admission, some bigger balls on the driver?

I’ve been pitting for like 12 years. Over a span of time like that teammates have come and gone. Some got married and or had kids, moved away, or had their work lives make going to races impossible. However, Myself and a few others have been with our same driver (Pat Dailey) for over a decade. We go where Pat goes and that loyalty has served us well. Pat has been/is a great leader. And as a crew we have really gelled well. We’ve gotta be doing something right because he keeps us around, right?

I don’t think I am especially great but I do know I am experienced. I am at least smart enough to know what I don’t know. But I’ve been tasked with being the pit captain now a days. Weeks before the race we run drills and do mock pit stops. (I’m
Actually never there for these because they are 300 miles away but the squad does them). On race day though I’m charge of our stops so I run my own drills when the car is a half hour away or whatever. Everyone in gear, fuelers suited up and helmets on. Air/nitrogen lines run, electric tools tested, back up impact guns ready, spill mats in place. Everything set up and all we are missing is the race car. If we’re gonna make a mistake we’re gonna do it in practice. If my truck comes in and stops too far away my pressure pro hose won’t reach and by the time we figure that out the rear tires are off and now we’re wasting time.

I’m a goof and certainly not a mechanic or a fabricator but I have figured out how to manage pit stops pretty well. I take them seriously because as a captain it’s all on me. I talk to the truck, I stop it exactly where it needs to stop and then the squad all scrambles and does their one job. It looks like chaos (there is a lot of us) but it’s actually very organized. Back up plans and fail safes are in place. Everyone knows their job and the order that their job needs to happen in. It wasn’t always this way but over the years it has become like clock work. Practice has made things as close to perfect as we’re gonna get.

The fact that our equipment is top tier helps but even with janky stuff we’ve had to use in the past we still get it done pretty well. I credit our success to being organized. I don’t get to drive so “my race” is the 35 or so seconds the truck is in our pit. The rest is on my driver. After over a decade with the same guy I like to think I know what he is expecting and when there is something wrong and things change I’m grateful I’ve been put in a position of trust and am empowered to make my own call on how we’re gonna adapt .

Find your core guys, know their strengths and weaknesses and do what is in your control to keep them on your squad. Build leaders out of them and make one I charge of the stop and they can manage the crew (new guys and veterans) so you don’t have to. You worry about driving and don’t micro manage the stops. You just worry about driving.

Speaking of driving. Practice that too and don’t be afraid to get a little aggressive with the front bumper. Tactful taps work. If you’re blowing corners as much as to say you are work this out with your co driver. Have him get you ready by setting up abbreviated dialog for what’s coming up and maybe a little sooner. Like rally drivers do. Maybe do t use their nonsensical lingo “Left 30 over crest pineapple 12 kingpin” but instead “45 degree right in 200 feet with giant rock on outside of turn”. Something. Any off course error is their something they need to worry about. You just listen and drive.

It has been my pleasure to watch you grow into this. You’ve made the silly investment in this quest and you have come a long way. Keep going. You’re getting there. A lot of us are proud of ya.

MTPyle

Dan,

Thanks thats what we needed to hear.

I have had to focus on the truck after we got the LT1 and found out it was the 460hp version. We had already committed when that happened so we had no choice but to do everything we could to make it competitive. Which I believe finally we have. For the first time I feel like the truck is a top 5 truck. We have no more truck excuses to use. It's dialed.

I was a little hard on myself last night after watching all of our in car footage. Its easy to ignore all the miles that we absolutely killed it and just focus on the mistakes. Thats what I did. But overall Nick and I were doing really well in the truck from a communication standpoint and our team did everything right. When I was focused and in the zone we were flying. The Pit 4 issues were mine.

The biggest issue is I just thought we would show up race a few races then win. LOL not really but clearly my expectations are unrealistic. When I step back and think about it I am pretty proud of where we have come in the short time. The Engine issue really hurt us this year but we are past that, I think.

Thanks again for the great feedback. I love the racing community and how supportive they can be.

Mike

MTPyle

Here is the clip with our tree trimming. At Minute 1:00 we blow a corner then spend the next couple minutes arguing about corner calls. LOL fact was he called it right I just didn't listen. Then at Minute 9:00 we get onto the power line road and hit the big jump.

slvrbullet

I love seeing these race reports, thank you for spending time to write it out. I used to love when the hero's of the sport used to post theirs back in the day on this site. One thing I'm going to implement this season is an AAR(After Action Review) I will do 2, one with my crew, and one with my codriver. This might be a useful practice as you build your team.

slvrbullet

I love seeing these race reports, thank you for spending time to write it out. I used to love when the hero's of the sport used to post theirs back in the day on this site. One thing I'm going to implement this season is an AAR(After Action Review) I will do 2, one with my crew, and one with my codriver. This might be a useful practice as you build your team.

dan200

#BSF200
We used to wear t shirts and jeans and just talked about the race on the drive home. Now we have fancy shirts with buttons and something called a “post race debrief “.

dhjeepgeek

Great write up. Look like you were trying to become an Arborist trimming those trees. I have a thing about running down Creosote.
I hope the co-drive lost the rags he was puking into. It would have been bad if he handed you one to wipe your shield. Worst than farting in the Parker pumpers.

IRONGOOK

Great job on the jump!

MTPyle

Check out the road crossing video, David and crew were pissed that the Raptor on the highway held us up. They knew we were on Householders tail and were bummed we got stopped. Made us feel loved.

Also watch how I blew the corner at the Trilobite park exactly where James Dean ended his day at last years SS300. I know that corner very well but was pissed we got held up so was pushing too hard. I thought for sure the front end was messed up. But our truck is tough as they get and can take a beating.

Sorry for the language in the video.

MTPyle

Figured I would add the video here also. Cool clip of 3 different views of us hitting the jump at RM71

Mike

IRONGOOK

Nice!

JasonHutter

Hey Mike it's Jason, Brad's co dog! Nice write up! We had a similar race with the dust... We fueled in Caliente and was a quick stop as we knew we didn't want to loose our spot in line! While stopped I think one truck went by and we got out right behind two trucks and on the fast road just before the water crossing was when I was able to see Householder maybe 300 yards back with what was obviously you on his tail! After the 15mph tree section I told Brad we had two behind us and we got after it as much as you can in the dust! We passed multiple trucks pitted at Pit 4 and ended up in the Nunly TT's dust for the rest of our day. We would pull up behind him in anything technical and he would just drive away from us in the straights! We emailed the tracker company as ours stopped working in the first 10 miles of the race. It made it so none of our team at home could track us and I never saw anything on the screen warning us of anything. I hope all is well and see you soon!

Jason

Picture credit to GetSomePhotoIMG_2229.JPG

MTPyle

Jason

thanks for posting. Yes it was a dust train for sure. Haha.

the sucks the track did not work. It seems about 25% of the races ours does not work either. Although they are getting better.

We were pushing hard when we could see. You guys were flying. I think we only caught up to you guys in the faster sections when it got tight you guys pulled away. Brad can flat drive. Haha.

see you guys at V2R. One of these races we will get a break.

Mike

jon coleman

great racer storys!, this is my class when i get all the matching lotto numbers, huge field& spec to a certain degree, when you finish top third, THOSE are wins!, also like previously stated, keep truck consistent in its set up& More Seat time!!!,

JasonHutter

Oh yeah... I feel for Mike‘s co dog as well! Last year I puked at least 4 times and had to get out! This year I was more prepared and only puked once and was able to stay in the whole race. The Caliente area sucks for getting motion sickness with all the big rollers and tight sections in the trees! It is more common than you would think in this area. I have never puked at any other race but the Caliente races! I just need to drive! Never have a problem when I’m driving! Ha

Jason

Robin Hood

Mike...can you excplain your call signals. What does the number mean "left 4". I haven't spent much time with a co-driver, mostly single seat so I'm not sure my opinion is valid, but IMO, the call outs were confusing and not consistent with distance to turn, speed etc. As a driver, I would've been losing my mind hearing all that noise that conflicted with what my eyes and seat was telling me.