6122 Whipple Superchargers Silverstate300 race recap

jon coleman

wrc guys literally live ,eat, breath there profession, they drill over& over on the race notes over & over, ( repeat!), thats why they are So dang quick, the co driver calls the notes that they both studied To Death, No assumptions At All!!, 5 th gear wfo corner is different to them than us ' loners'( i Rarely had a r .hander racing), notes are ok in the dust, If the navigator is on top of it.me?, i would only want three downs pointed out ahead of time, otherwise drive the car

MTPyle

Mike...can you excplain your call signals. What does the number mean "left 4". I haven't spent much time with a co-driver, mostly single seat so I'm not sure my opinion is valid, but IMO, the call outs were confusing and not consistent with distance to turn, speed etc. As a driver, I would've been losing my mind hearing all that noise that conflicted with what my eyes and seat was telling me.
Robin Hood

I love the number system. It actually works really well when you are dialed in with the co driver. All of the videos I posted were when we were not dialed in. LOL the big tree corner was me totally not listening to my co driver, no system can help that.

Most of the race the corner
2B2FF776-9009-45FD-AF22-361D28C0F22A.jpeg
number system was a powerfully language that we were fluent in. There are a few parts of the race that when I watched the video I was in awe of how well we were communicating and how fast we were going. It literally looked like the video was sped up.

We took the number from the rally guys.

it’s also nice that we all use it so when we change drivers or co drivers we have a common language.

Take a look as this decal that we had made and put on our dash.

Mike

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

I love the number system. It actually works really well when you are dialed in with the co driver. All of the videos I posted were when we were not dialed in. LOL the big tree corner was me totally not listening to my co driver, no system can help that.

Most of the race the corner View attachment 216413number system was a powerfully language that we were fluent in. There are a few parts of the race that when I watched the video I was in awe of how well we were communicating and how fast we were going. It literally looked like the video was sped up.

We took the number from the rally guys.

it’s also nice that we all use it so when we change drivers or co drivers we have a common language.

Take a look as this decal that we had made and put on our dash.

Mike
That makes sense and seems like it could work well as long as you know distance to the turn. With this system in place why was he calling out "hard right" at times?

MTPyle

Yes he messed up a few times also. Haha.

I think he would say hard whatever when I wasn’t listening to the numbers. It has been awhile since we raced. So we were rusty.

Mike

MTPyle

You get dialed into the distance pretty quick. Co driver tries to call consistently and then you start to get an idea of what he is seeing.

The issue we had was Nick my Co driver was calling Hard 4. Well to me thats not a thing. But again I think thats his panic call, if he thinks I am going too fast he calls hard to slow me down. LOL

if its hard its not a 4. Basically if I hear a 4 I keep my speed the same. If its a 3 I slow down for the corner. If its a 2 I really get on the brakes. 4 is keep speed, 5 is continue to accelerate, and 6 is go fast but just know its turning.

I had one co driver that wanted me to go faster so he just kept calling 5 even though it was a 2. LOL That worked for a few corners until I just didn't trust him anymore. But he was right I should have been going much faster. In fact that was last years Parker 425 and my co driver was a very experienced Ultra4 racer so if it was not a crash at every corner he felt too comfortable. That was the race that Terry hit me pretty hard not long after the start. I think he caught me at RM 20 and rang my bell. We were a lot slower then. haha

Mike

GBRACER

last thing you need is a guy telling you to slow down, I had a guy in the baja1000 telling me to slow down a lot I told him one more time and he is getting out and walking, unless there is a big rock or ditch it's conuterproductive mentally, plus we are in a 5/1600 so we already are going slow LOL

jon coleman

last thing you need is a guy telling you to slow down, I had a guy in the baja1000 telling me to slow down a lot I told him one more time and he is getting out and walking, unless there is a big rock or ditch it's conuterproductive mentally, plus we are in a 5/1600 so we already are going slow LOL
slow down a 5/16??, then you gotta spend the next few miles winding it back UP againo_O

jon coleman

" Race Forward" That means let go what ever happen behind you because if you think or focus on that it will cause another mistake. Talking about a turn for the next minute only slowed you down. Great race recap..
very important!!!!, one of Top three things Drilled into my brain in scca drivers schools, Every lapp is about minimizing errors, All racers make errors every corner, Every lapp, there is No such thing as the perfect lapp, , Do Not Dwell on previous corner!!!, always look and " race forward", now, ' racing mistakes 'are another subject.....

MTPyle

Kind of embarrassed to share this but you guys have already seen all my mistakes and messes so what's another one. This is the video of qualifying for SS300 at Apex. There is sound but its got some noise in it. You can hear Connor my oldest son yelling at me a lot. for Some reason I could not hear him well and I seem like an old deaf guy. LOL

The more I watch this the more it looks bad. So many mistakes and places I left a ton of time on the course. In fact I am left wondering how anyone went slower than I did LOL

Be nice. :)

jon coleman

"the faster you go the slower you are, , gotta slow down to be quick" R. Johnson( paraphrase on racing Carlsbad), another tipp i got in driver school& also a tipp M.Martin in a race book extolled is back up the corner!!, slow less& a earlier, it feels slow, but if you carry just a little more speed through corner& more exit speed, is a Big gain in lower lapp times, it feels slow!, trust me, if you brake early, 'drive ' faster through the corner, it will be Gobbs quicker

Last edited:

MTPyle

how much time did they take off for hitting the cones?
LOL I was waiting for that. When they put the cone back they moved it 3 feet further out than it was when I hit it. There were at least 3 other trucks that came super close to the moved cone and one other truck hit it. They all would have hit the cone if they put it where it was when we hit it. So they either had to give those other trucks a penalty or take ours away, they chose to take ours away, which we agreed with :cool: . We had photos and videos of the cone before and after.

Trust me we were not the only ones dealing with Cone issues on that day. There were 3 other trucks that hit different cones than the one we hit on that corner that did not get a penalty. One of the trucks was a top 6100 guy. The only Cone penalties were for more than one cone and for tops spots. its my opinion that if you are not in the top 5 and only hit one they let it slide. Just another one of the rules where it matters who you are and the details of the violation. Rules are subjective. LOL To be fair if they gave everyone that touched a cone a penalty the entire group would have had penalties. The cones where everywhere and more than any other qualifying I have been to.

I really regret posting this video and having this conversation. LOL Face palm

Mike

jon coleman

LOL I was waiting for that. When they put the cone back they moved it 3 feet further out than it was when I hit it. There were at least 3 other trucks that came super close to the moved cone and one other truck hit it. They all would have hit the cone if they put it where it was when we hit it. So they either had to give those other trucks a penalty or take ours away, they chose to take ours away, which we agreed with :cool: . We had photos and videos of the cone before and after.

Trust me we were not the only ones dealing with Cone issues on that day. There were 3 other trucks that hit different cones than the one we hit on that corner that did not get a penalty. One of the trucks was a top 6100 guy. The only Cone penalties were for more than one cone and for tops spots. its my opinion that if you are not in the top 5 and only hit one they let it slide. Just another one of the rules where it matters who you are and the details of the violation. Rules are subjective. LOL To be fair if they gave everyone that touched a cone a penalty the entire group would have had penalties. The cones where everywhere and more than any other qualifying I have been to.

Mike
one way to ' be the cone danny' is go race at autocross events, i did a few of them , the top guys are freaks of nature, me?, yup, im a cone killer..

joshmx88

I watched the video without sound and it wasnt that bad mike!! I only saw one other big oopsie other than the cone corner.

JDDurfey

Mike
I hope you don't think I was trying to be a smart ass when I asked that question. You did better than I would have. I did get a kick out of your kid yelling at you to go faster. I honestly didn't know what the time penalty was for hitting cones.

I am glad they took your penalty away.

MTPyle

JD, thanks its hard to know who is being a smart A$$ and who is just asking questions. That entire pre run thread beat me up pretty bad so I may be a little defensive. Haha Its hard to be open and take the abuse that comes along with it :)

I was so bummed when I hit that cone. I was so thankful that BITD screwed up and was cool about it to get the penalty taken away.

It was pretty funny to watch the video and hear him yelling. LOL when we got out of the truck he was pissed and said "what the hell do I have to say to make you go faster, I tried yelling Green green, green then go go go , then faster faster faster. I could not get you to listen." I said fine you do it next time but he wont, so that shut him up. Hehe. Qualifying is so intense and for me the hardest part of racing.

JoshMX, thanks but there are so many places that I was coasting and not carrying enough speed. The long strait away before we turned on to the final stretch I was way slow. Everyone else was flying down that road and I was going to get groceries. Haha Also way too hard on the throttle, it really upsets the truck to be on and off the throttle like that. Need to be smooth and keep the power up. And better to carry speed thru the corner and not be hammering it down. The truck turns way better when balanced. I am just learning how to 2 foot the pedals. We just got the brake pedal to where I can use it with my left foot. It was too far towards me and I could not get my foot that high. So all my racing up until Silverstate was 1 foot back and forth. Thats not the way to do it. Once I master the 2 foot thing I will be way faster. In practice I am doing pretty good but need to get good under pressure. Its not like a road car or cart where you can slam on the brakes than slam on the gas. The transition of weight is so so big in these trucks. (and yes I know on road cars and carts you also want to ride the brakes in the corner and 2 foot)

Mike

jon coleman

dont forget MP, Anyone thats Ever turned a wheel in racing whether it be k1 speed up to f1 is gonna suggest how You should approach this , in Your truck, like the cornering & driving forward thing, look past& drive past all of us keyboardmacCachrens