62" spring project update with pics!

orvacian

62\" spring project update with pics!

Duffco is really doing a great job! It is turning out very nice! They spent a lot of time cycling the Deaver springs and trying different mounting positions and shackle lengths. It is working out to 20" of travel and will be limited to 19" with limit straps and bump stops to keep the shackle at the right position in all situations. Duffco did such a good job with the spring and shackle mounting locations that my stock 2 piece driveshaft can be retained and it doesn't look to be using any more of the slip yoke then with stock springs! The bumper/tire carrier/fuel cell mount looks to be extremely strong and has good ground clearance. All the cagework is constructed from .120 wall DOM at my request. Overall, they have exceeded my expectations to this point. It is all just tack welded so far and the pictures are not of the finished truck. Next is bedsides with mounts that will be detachable from the chassis. We may also put Delrin plates between the shackle and frame to support the shackles from side to side movement. There will be a brace between the shackles also. It is almost done, I can't wait to try it out!
BTW, big thanks to Pete from Kartek for the shock help and advice!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 05/22/02 11:31 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Attachments

fishd00d

What A Joke
Re: 62\" spring project update with pics!

Looking good man! One question, how does the fuel cell come out? From the Top?

Go Big Or Go Home
*UBCS 4 Life*

orvacian

Re: 62" spring project update with pics!

The cell will come out from the top. It is just sitting in place with the tire sitting on top right now, just so I could take pictures. The mounts for everything will be completed friday.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell

I saw it today at the shop...looks real nice.

Kris

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>

fishd00d

What A Joke

Cool will the truck be done Friday? We got a group going to Ocotillo Wells Sunday night - Monday. So far Greg & Jen and probley Pete and Belden will be going also.

I need to get some testing time on the General.

If the truck is done come on out and test it out!!

Go Big Or Go Home
*UBCS 4 Life*

motoxscott

You're only getting 19" of travel........we're getting 21". Back to the drawing board.

Just kidding, your truck looks really good. Duffco's a little a head of us, we're waiting for the fuel cell to come in, so we're on hold right now. Plus we're heading to Havasu this weekend, so that takes priority. Once everything is done we should meet up somewhere and do a little testing, see how each one works.

Are you having Duffco go into the cab at all with the cage or is that down the road? I'm just curious but can you just give a rough estimate on what Duffco charged you to do all this? Doesnt have to be exact. $2K, $3K, $4K..... If you dont want to say thats fine also.

-Scott

TRDshaunTRD

how long did those shackles end up being? When I saw them testing your springs at the shop they werent sure what length they were goin to go with. looks real good by the way, I like the design.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

orvacian

Thanks for the compliments!
Duffco gave me a great price based on what they are doing. If I have learned anything about building a prerunner so far though, it would be NOT TO PICK A SHOP BASED SOLELY ON PRICE! You get what you pay for. I will be getting it caged itno the cab at a later date, when I have more money.

scott

Is that just the main leaf and thats all ???? Looking from those pics the leaf pack doesn't look too big???

havahockey

Flipper

Thats just the main two leafs. It is much easier to cycle the suspenion that way, only takes a little wieght to bottom it out. For my truck, once we put all the leafs back on we couldn't bottom it out with two people jumping up and down on it, see a vid I posted earlier :)