6200 class

steve scott

Reaction
Thinking of changing my class 10 into a 6200. Talk me into it or out of it. Realize leaving very successful popular class for one that appears to be struggling. Any predictions if the class has a better future. Looking to go LS3 versus Ecoboost route. Car is little heavy and horsepower looks appealing. Hoping to run class 10 tires for transmission and CV preservation.

drofmij

Reaction
I am no expert, but from what I have seen the cars running the ls3 are pretty much a class 1 car. I don't think your car or tires will hold up to an ls3. Messers used a curry 10 car as their 7200 truck with good success with an ecoboost and 35x10:50 tires and a pbs 5 spd. Light and nimble with turbo power. I think with an ls3 you will be always chasing the next weakest link. If your stuck on an ls3, you might be better off just selling your car and pick up a class 1 car and swap to an ls3. As for the longevity of the class, its hard to say, it will probably never be what 6100 is. Its alot harder to get sponsorship for a buggy, people just relate more to a truck than a buggy. Just my .02

SMS81

Reaction
Agree, but if you put anything but an LS you will be pigeon holed to run just BITD and maybe 4 other cars on a good day. Waste of a good 10 car if you ask me. Make it lighter and enjoy 15 cars to race against at every event in any series.

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Thinking of changing my class 10 into a 6200. Talk me into it or out of it. Realize leaving very successful popular class for one that appears to be struggling. Any predictions if the class has a better future. Looking to go LS3 versus Ecoboost route. Car is little heavy and horsepower looks appealing. Hoping to run class 10 tires for transmission and CV preservation.
We were in you exact shoes 3 years ago before we made the jump to change to ECO-boost. being a at best mid pack 10 car to 6200 we could not only finally beat the faster 10's, but now we compete with the faster 6100's, and I will tell you this for sure I will NEVER go back to class 10. The Eco boost produces a TON more power and is an absolute BLAST to drive.

I run same Medeola and and CV's as I used to in 10 and haven't had a problem even after we switched to new 35x10.5. Everyone gets so tied up in racing against your own class. Thats stupid, To me I like going fast and passing WHOEVER is in front of me, but even better I like passing who is supposed to be faster (spec trucks) Most truck guys hate it, but we have over 400 HP to the wheels in a car that still under 3000 pounds.

LS3 vs Ecoboost is the only thing I would be unsure of where to steer anyone. The Ecoboost cost 5k but I won't lie to you it is a temperamental BI*$h and a gigantic pain in the ass to figure out, but when it works it is the baddest thing I have ever driven. If you running a true 10 car (which we are) then I believe it is the PERFECT because weight is comparable to the ecotec, I have never had an LS in my car but I feel like it would be to much weight in the rear. Then you factor in the FORD money and it's a no brainier. We get 5 k a win and only have to beat 4 people lol! How much do you get if you won Parker with 35 class 10s? and then what is the likelihood in doing so?

I would love to see more 10's transfer over, I can't believe they haven't already. There is a Steep learning curve that I am sure scared guys away, but to be honest we had already out lived most of the growing pains already so If you were serious we could walk you threw what to do and what not to do. We have helped 4 different cars transfer already.

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
Agree, but if you put anything but an LS you will be pigeon holed to run just BITD and maybe 4 other cars on a good day. Waste of a good 10 car if you ask me. Make it lighter and enjoy 15 cars to race against at every event in any series.
by the way, If the class ever imploded I would just race class 1. again back to weight-power ratio. Car is VERY FAST

SMS81

Reaction
1044, there is a reason you where a mid pack 10, it is a very competitive class and hard to run up front. I know you spent a lot of money on your new alumicraft, but it is no class 1 car, ask alumicraft. 6200 is probably a great class if you like to race against a couple people, heck if one breaks, you may get a plaque or a shiny trophy. I don’t think ford money applies unless you have 5 entries in class, which there isn’t. The eco-boost is so popular that you can find the other 2 that were built still for sale(Avila and Curtis, I think banning already sold or changed their car). Stay with 10, better competition, more race series, better resale value! IMHO;)

ICR Racing 1044

Reaction
1044, there is a reason you where a mid pack 10, it is a very competitive class and hard to run up front. I know you spent a lot of money on your new alumicraft, but it is no class 1 car, ask alumicraft. 6200 is probably a great class if you like to race against a couple people, heck if one breaks, you may get a plaque or a shiny trophy. I don’t think ford money applies unless you have 5 entries in class, which there isn’t. The eco-boost is so popular that you can find the other 2 that were built still for sale(Avila and Curtis, I think banning already sold or changed their car). Stay with 10, better competition, more race series, better resale value! IMHO;)
you seem to know alot about my car, don't remember you going for a ride.. or anyone from alumicraft. They tested with us once, but before we tuned motor (which makes a Massive difference with turbo motors) But some class 1 drivers have, and fast ones.

your statement about 5 entries also incorrect.

Steve, you can stay in class 10 like this guy is talking about, but honestly with out the new top of the line car it'll probably stay mid-pack, my opinion. or you can pay the same amount money with you same car, smoke 10's and run down spec trucks instead. The only reason we bought new car is because our old car was from the 1920's and it's front end couldn't handle the higher speeds.

SMS81

Reaction
But the original posters old car will handle the higher speeds of a class 1, and the old car will compete with a new $100k+ alumicraft lol! comedy!,(extremely nice car by the way! It is a feature on RDC if you have not seen it). I appreciate your enthusiasm towards the BITD only class. But just try to look at things from an outside perspective. It just doesn’t make sense to convert a 10, class 1 maybe, that is why the class is what it is. But everyone races for different reasons I guess.

Last edited:

steve scott

Reaction
We were in you exact shoes 3 years ago before we made the jump to change to ECO-boost. being a at best mid pack 10 car to 6200 we could not only finally beat the faster 10's, but now we compete with the faster 6100's, and I will tell you this for sure I will NEVER go back to class 10. The Eco boost produces a TON more power and is an absolute BLAST to drive.

I run same Medeola and and CV's as I used to in 10 and haven't had a problem even after we switched to new 35x10.5. Everyone gets so tied up in racing against your own class. Thats stupid, To me I like going fast and passing WHOEVER is in front of me, but even better I like passing who is supposed to be faster (spec trucks) Most truck guys hate it, but we have over 400 HP to the wheels in a car that still under 3000 pounds.

LS3 vs Ecoboost is the only thing I would be unsure of where to steer anyone. The Ecoboost cost 5k but I won't lie to you it is a temperamental BI*$h and a gigantic pain in the ass to figure out, but when it works it is the baddest thing I have ever driven. If you running a true 10 car (which we are) then I believe it is the PERFECT because weight is comparable to the ecotec, I have never had an LS in my car but I feel like it would be to much weight in the rear. Then you factor in the FORD money and it's a no brainier. We get 5 k a win and only have to beat 4 people lol! How much do you get if you won Parker with 35 class 10s? and then what is the likelihood in doing so?

I would love to see more 10's transfer over, I can't believe they haven't already. There is a Steep learning curve that I am sure scared guys away, but to be honest we had already out lived most of the growing pains already so If you were serious we could walk you threw what to do and what not to do. We have helped 4 different cars transfer already.
We have decided to convert the car to 6200. Do have concerns how my Weddle 5 speed sequential will handle the power. As I mentioned trying out sticking with my BFG class ten tires and a power cut on shifting. I think this class has a lot of potential to place well against other classes and that could increase its popularity. Looks like we are going with the LS3 for simplicity. If we ever win it will be painful to pass up the money Ford is putting up. I agree I enjoy racing against the other classes. Thanks for the offer to help with advice. Please private message me with your contact information

drofmij

Reaction
We have decided to convert the car to 6200. Do have concerns how my Weddle 5 speed sequential will handle the power. As I mentioned trying out sticking with my BFG class ten tires and a power cut on shifting. I think this class has a lot of potential to place well against other classes and that could increase its popularity. Looks like we are going with the LS3 for simplicity. If we ever win it will be painful to pass up the money Ford is putting up. I agree I enjoy racing against the other classes. Thanks for the offer to help with advice. Please private message me with your contact information
Keep us updated, curious to see how it handles the ls3. We have talked about putting an ls in our 10 car when we are done racing.

TJERGENSEN

Reaction
We had the ls3 in our class 1, it was more then enough power. We had to add weight up front or it would wheely out of the corners. But it was fun to drive. We raced it for 3 years same motor, then put the same motor in my prerunner and its still running perfect 20000 miles later