65 vw

trenchless

Reaction
Yet again I turn to RDC for help/advise. I'm looking at getting a 65' Bug for my wife, 2nd car not a DD. I have never owned a VW before so I wanted to know what you guys think about Bugs, good and bad...

DailyPedal

Reaction
Website
www.flickr.com
In my opinion, as a hobby, could be a great deal if she is really into it. Otherwise, could be a nightmare in the wrong hands. VWs require a lot of knowledge, a few reasonable but special tools, access to good quality parts and time-lots of time...there are some great books available, the Idiot's Guide is a must, buy it before you buy a car. Also see the Samba site for a horde of enthusiasts, or VW people. When people "love" their VW, they tend to have glowing comments about how great they are. These are VW people...VW people understand and accept and admire the car for what it is and overlook what it isn't. Non VW people on the other hand, drive em like a "normal" car, don't take care of them as they should, don't do the routine maintenence and tend to have nothing positive to say about the brand or the experience...this is just my opinion loosly based on a few decades in the VW industry...take it for what its worth.

Wilson

Reaction
In my opinion, as a hobby, could be a great deal if she is really into it. Otherwise, could be a nightmare in the wrong hands. VWs require a lot of knowledge, a few reasonable but special tools, access to good quality parts and time-lots of time...there are some great books available, the Idiot's Guide is a must, buy it before you buy a car. Also see the Samba site for a horde of enthusiasts, or VW people. When people "love" their VW, they tend to have glowing comments about how great they are. These are VW people...VW people understand and accept and admire the car for what it is and overlook what it isn't. Non VW people on the other hand, drive em like a "normal" car, don't take care of them as they should, don't do the routine maintenence and tend to have nothing positive to say about the brand or the experience...this is just my opinion loosly based on a few decades in the VW industry...take it for what its worth.

Exactly what he said!

FABRICATOR

Reaction
I've owned a few. Slowley but surely, they make a mechanic out of you.

Reaction
My wife drove a '68 Bug for 13 years in OC, never did learn about what was inside the fan shroud. Now she drives a New Beetle, and I don't know what's under all the plastic shrouds.

Avoid rust and repairs to the body when buying a bug. Get an uncracked shell, everything else can be replaced easily.

Co-Dog

Reaction
My wife was so hard on VW engines that it became too expensive to have one.

There was the '67Beetle---
"No Sweetheart, that light doesn't mean that it needs oil, it means you need a new engine. . . . . again."

Then the was the '66 Bus with reduction boxes---
"We have already discussed this. . . Just because it's a race engine doesn't mean you can drive it over 65mph!"
"Okay I was going faster than that, but I was going downhill."

They were a lot of fun to work on and drive when I was the only one driving. One of the problems now is that the car was geared for 55mph, so continuous driving at 65mph takes a toll on em. Consider spending the money on freeway gears if its going to see freeway miles. You also need to understand the importance of regular oil changes and adjusting the valves every time you change the oil whether you think it needs it or not. That means losing part of your weekend and getting greasy. If you don't change your own oil or live somewhere that you can't work on your car, then it would probably not be in your best interest to have a Bug.

trenchless

Reaction
Thanks for all the input. I have a guy that wants to trade a 65 Bug for a K5 Jimmy I have and me never owning a VW I wanted to hear from some owners. I plan to look at it this week and see what happens.

Reaction
Check to see if it is still the stock 6 volt system. You might not want to deal with that. Need 12v battery, alt or gen, bulbs, wiper motor, regulator, radio, etc.

stoprez2006

Reaction
I have a '64 sunroof bug and 72 standard bug. I drove the 72 in highschool until it got rearended by an 84 camaro but I love both of those cars. My 72 I drove everyday and the 64 was a project car. Other than a locked up generator I never really had any issues with the car as long as I didn't neglect the maintenance, which in my opinion is really easy. Parts are for the most part inexpensive and as long as you have some sort of mechanical skills and "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot" you can do just about anything your bug would ever need. Be sure to check the heater channels for rust as well as the wheelwells.

DP Racing

Reaction
Go with a Ghia same chassis only difference are the floor pans (30mm wider than a beetle). I bought one in HS and rebuilt the engine to stock specs, put a set of 34mm dual Weber singles on it with a street header and got 30-32mpg. My dad did not approve but I bought it anyway. He would help me with anything I had except this because he had a bug and wanted me to have one instead of the Ghia. I bought a Chilton manual and learned on my own. It would out run a stock GT Mustang and it was in the hands of a 16 year old and lasted until I lost interest at 20. Soooo easy to work on being air cooled. It's one car I wish I still had. But just like they said do your research before you buy.