• Forum membership has its advantages....

66 Ford F100 NORRA build to support the Navy Seal Foundation

jon coleman

Thanks man. Getting into the details now...here are the trans cooler lines.
aaaaaaaAa!!, spit drive shaft Will make a ' bee' line straight at the lines, cover with a plate, not sheet metal, a hoop too, i made one out of two 180 1:25 120 cromo i had laying around welded together.please rDz , lets hear spit drive shaft storys!, they pack a punch when they are successful in there escape attempt:eek:

Baja535

Thanks man. Getting into the details now...here are the trans cooler lines.
We've got power
aaaaaaaAa!!, spit drive shaft Will make a ' bee' line straight at the lines, cover with a plate, not sheet metal, a hoop too, i made one out of two 180 1:25 120 cromo i had laying around welded together.please rDz , lets hear spit drive shaft storys!, they pack a punch when they are successful in there escape attempt:eek:
Good advise. Thanks.

jon coleman

also carry a spare!& u joints.my first race 10 miles in at the dash, S NA P !, a sound i can hear right now, u joint, guesse what spare was Not in truck...., at least Chuck Hovey waved at us each lapp

Baja535

In all the years racing in my family I don't think we've ever broke one. I'm sure there will be a first someday. Hopefully a lot of meticulous prep will pay off. This twin I Beam set up is new to me.

cavebiker

This is unreal! The truck is looking awesome. Just started lurking this site and now completely hooked on these ultimate Baja builds. Thanks a ton Baja535 for posting and sharing these pics and stories. Keep’em coming, please…

This is my first post. I think I like it here, never seen such passion for Baja racing and especially NORRA anywhere on the net. Great thread!

Baja535

Well if you were looking for Baja enthusiasts, you found the mecca with RDC. I appreciate the comments. I'm working through a bunch of details so when I go test I minimize any chance of surprises. It's too close to race time to make a dumb mistake and have some kind of catastrophic failure. Keep looking. I'll post more pics this weekend.

jon coleman

Fuel pressure regulator install.
double up hose clamps , i love ' efi' style ones, they dont chew up rubber, those regular clamps have let me down in the past, safty wire clamps too, look around to see if a leeky line might spray an ign. source, hot header ect.

Baja535

I just want to give a big thanks to the guys at Dualtone in Pacific Beach. They got the exhaust done Saturday in a few hours and the mechanic went the extra mile by installing brackets to hold my shifter cable away from the much exhaust job. I had specific requests to cross over to the right side of the truck to keep the heat away from the file line and to leave room to drop the trans without removing the exhaust. They made sure both were right. Never met them before but I would recommend them based on my experience.

Attachments

Baja535

I'm moving forward again. After the transmission imploded last weekend I took it out and back to the shop for a free repair. Thanks John at Certified Transmission for being a real stand up guy and taking care of it.

Baja535

While the trans was getting done I decided to get the leaf springs tuned up. Billy Rounds was the spring builder at National before they shut down. He's got his own deal going and the guy is a real Craftsman. If you're in San Diego and need help with leaf springs, check him out. Vector Spring

Attachments

john Mcc

While the trans was getting done I decided to get the leaf springs tuned up. Billy Rounds was the spring builder at National before they shut down. He's got his own deal going and the guy is a real Craftsman. If you're in San Diego and need help with leaf springs, check him out. Vector Spring
do you have a phone number?

Baja535

So the truck is running hot. Always seems to be the case for me. I'm going to invest in a very expensive radiator to see if that helps. It's pretty much done to it at this point. Hopefully it will work out.

jon coleman

do the set up right first , expansion, swirl, tanks,correct restrictor, proper routing of burp/ bleed, rad hoses, ive done it all wrong in the pa$t ,make sure block is flushed, then flush it again,before you mask it with $$ radiator, unless u know existing rad is junk.motor on!!mechanical fan with shroud helps

Baja535

Man I wish I knew what I was doing. I had one motor in my Bronco that I couldn't keep cool and now I'm working this one. I have several items checked off the list, but no flush. The radiator is brand new but probably small and lacking fans since it is not a high dollar one and I bought if from Speedway. I've filled and drained several times, tried different thermostats and caps, built cardboard setups to direct air only to the radiator, and no difference. It runs at 210. I haven't flushed it but it was a fresh rebuild that sat dry. I ran it without the cap and with the 180 thermostat turns on and off at idle and water flows. Is the flow rate right? Who knows. Is the water pump working right? I don't know how to tell except that it moves water and isn't leaking. The radiator spits water into the overflow and then settles in at the head space it likes I guess. The only next step I can think of without any real data is a higher capacity radiator with a couple heavy flow fans. If it doesn't run cool next Saturday, there will be no NORRA 500 this year and that would suck.

jon coleman

expansion tank is most important, hi up too, air go's up, 2- 3 quart.20 psi cap.try different size restrictors instead of thermostat, and yes, correct pump.v belt vs reverse serpentine.a fellow jeepspeeder did that one.210 all day?, or ideling?, sand wash?, were are u mesuring 210?, at thermo housing out flow from eng?, because 210 in a LONG sand wash is about right

Baja535

Well, I put in a new water pump and Ron Davis radiator and went to the NORRA 500 with low expectations. Billy Rounds at vector fixed up my leaf springs after a short test in Plater City and we headed south. Some problems with the rear end left me working on the truck until 4:30 AM Friday night/Saturday morning and then we killed it on day 2. Ended up with the Pioneer Class win, Pioneer Era win, and Mike's King of the Mountain Plaque. Not a bad run for a guy working out of his garage if I do say so myself. Thanks to all my supporters including Molten Metal Equipment Innovations, Desert Pacific Advisors, My Brother In law John Volkman, and my family who pitted for me during the race. Good times. Now we'll really start marketing the Navy Seal Foundation and the effort. And, thanks for those who offered advice... Jon Coleman, Mark Stahl, and the rest.