• Forum membership has its advantages....

69 Camaro build

69camaro

Hey guys. I happened to come across a 69 Camaro on a 67 bronco chassis. I've been looking for something to run the Norra 500 in for awhile now and for 5k couldn't resist picking this up. I'm new to desert racing but not to building cars. If I wanted to run in Norra what is the fasted way to get the car legal in a mod class? I'm going to put a new motor and trans and go through the drive line to get the car running in tip top shape. If I fall in love with the desert I want to slowly mod the car better and better every year. I think what I'm looking for are some suggestions on lifts/long travel kits, do I need them to run, roll bars and that sort of thing. Thanks for any advise and maybe I'll see you guys there in a few years?

Attachments

Bro_Gill

Best way to go would be to sell that body to someone who can use it, take the money, and get a fiberglass early Bronco body and build that up. Otherwise, I think in the short and long run you will end up being disappointed. Not trying to nag on you, but from the distance involved, your background with no desert racing experience, and reality, there is a collision about to happen. It takes much more than a body swap and a good running stockish drive train to make NORRA a reality. Long travel suspension, Lot's of $hock$ with that weight, and a legal roll cage are all required. I would look for an old race buggy in Florida to start with, I know there are some out there.

germancarsonly

Best way to go would be to sell that body to someone who can use it, take the money, and get a fiberglass early Bronco body and build that up. Otherwise, I think in the short and long run you will end up being disappointed. Not trying to nag on you, but from the distance involved, your background with no desert racing experience, and reality, there is a collision about to happen. It takes much more than a body swap and a good running stockish drive train to make NORRA a reality. Long travel suspension, Lot's of $hock$ with that weight, and a legal roll cage are all required. I would look for an old race buggy in Florida to start with, I know there are some out there.
+1

Chris Tobin

It looks like the body is in pretty good shape, it would be a shame to see it torn up off road... I agree with Bro_Gill above... Sell the body and start over from there with the money...

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Yep, wrong tree. Especially if you want to build anything like that.

GDRBORETIRED

Step 1 get the rules! As was said ditch the body (some Camero guy needs it). If the frame is stock (not lengthened) you have a good start. A 67 Bronco would be a better NORRA car and much more salable than what you hope to have when finished. JMHO

J Burleson

.5- get a rule book, but more for cage/safety requirements(there will always be a class to fit in at NORRA)
1- follow your heart not someone else's
2-follow your gut not someone else's
3- get the suspension dialed (being stock bronco chassis makes this a lot easier- lots of suspension options available. Give Wild Horses or ELITE Broncos a call to get headed in the right direction)
4- get the drivetrain solid and reliable
5- get it to Ensenada,
6- take the green flag,
7-run a pace to finish
8-have a blast
9-go home and tell stories till everyone is sick of hearing them

But If I were you...(see #1), I'd keep the Camaro body on it! The train of thought that the body is too good to off-road and becoming rare would also apply to the early bronco chassis. 69 Camaro guys can buy a new body if they want one that bad. It's not like you are building a demo derby car out of it! It'll be WAY cooler as a Camaro than just another bronco(boring lol)

69camaro

That's what I was thinking J Burleson. Also I wouldn't be racing this thing to be first. Although that would be great. I'm really just looking to build a car that would make it through the coarse and have a good time with a few friends. Building a car for that purpose would I need to spend a ton of money on long travel suspension stuff at first or just make sure the stuff on there is up to par? I know its all about how you drive and this might be a loaded question but how rough are the races on the cars if you take it easy?

biffgnar

That's what I was thinking J Burleson. Also I wouldn't be racing this thing to be first. Although that would be great. I'm really just looking to build a car that would make it through the coarse and have a good time with a few friends. Building a car for that purpose would I need to spend a ton of money on long travel suspension stuff at first or just make sure the stuff on there is up to par? I know its all about how you drive and this might be a loaded question but how rough are the races on the cars if you take it easy?
Don't underestimate it. NORRA is more of a race than it gets portrayed as sometimes. There were definitely some specials that I'd say would be a challenge for that car without a decent amount of work. You get to enjoy the fun a lot more if you get in each day at a reasonable hour and quickly bang out the prep for the next day. Fighting the course to struggle in late and then having a long list of stuff to "fix" takes the fun out of it pretty fast.