700r4

trenchless

Anyone know what would cause a 700R4 to slip in drive and over drive only? All the other gears seem to work, it will take off ok but after it shifts to drive it slips. Its in a 89 GMC 4x4 with high miles. Is it just time for a rebuild?

Sparky

Are you sure it is slipping in gear, or is it the lockup in the torque converter? My converter went bad and the lockup would slip.

jpndave

Anyone know what would cause a 700R4 to slip in drive and over drive only? All the other gears seem to work, it will take off ok but after it shifts to drive it slips. Its in a 89 GMC 4x4 with high miles. Is it just time for a rebuild?
I can help you out with this. I do a lot of trans building for Novak Adapters. Just need a little clarification. Does it slip when in 3rd and 4th gear only? What position is the gear selector in?

BTW, if you are running the original trans and have to do a rebuild, there are a lot of key pieces you will want to change out when you do a rebuild.

jpndave

Most likely it is the 3-4 clutch pack, one of the most common failure points. That would require a rebuild.

jpndave

3-4 clutchpack. It will have to be rebuilt. I would go to an 8 clutch pack in the rebuild on that set. LMK if you need some further upgrade tips.