70s Era race car

Steve92307

Reaction
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and just pickup the car the other day. I need help identifying what it is and which class it may have raced in. Thanks!
20210218_210844.jpg
20210218_210850.jpg
20210218_210836.jpg

Bro_Gill

Reaction
A little modified, but I may know exactly what chassis that is. Hang tight a little bit while I dig up some info.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
In NORRA that would be the "Legends era". I would add some more tubing to the chassis in a few spots and you should be good to go, as long as their is no hidden rust in the chassis.

Steve92307

Reaction
The chassis is
In NORRA that would be the "Legends era". I would add some more tubing to the chassis in a few spots and you should be good to go, as long as their is no hidden rust in the chassis

The chassis is solid. Car needs a little love here there but is in overall great shape. Would this car be able to enter any other classes in MORE, SNORE or SCORE? Or will it be limited to the Legends era race?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
SNORE actually has a vintage class. I think if a few of these old cars showed up occasionally to race, they would be running similar speeds to the 9s and 5-1600s, so there are races where they could have a class and have fun.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Where would you add tubing?

To be Score legal I think the A pillar needs to continue down to the floor rail. The A down there does not fly. An X brace over the footwell would really cut down on the front end flex. Some more tubing to protect the engine would be nice also.

Steve92307

Reaction
To be Score legal I think the A pillar needs to continue down to the floor rail. The A down there does not fly. An X brace over the footwell would really cut down on the front end flex. Some more tubing to protect the engine would be nice also.
Ok, it has tubing that goes around and underneath the engine. It's just not on the car right now.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
A post is fine as it is for a Vintage entry. That's about how the cars were built back then and the cages were fine. The X or V in front is probably cut out.

Steve92307

Reaction
A post is fine as it is for a Vintage entry. That's about how the cars were built back then and the cages were fine. The X or V in front is probably cut out.
So i sent a message over to these guys on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/Vintage-Off-Road-Racing-Vehicles-For-Sale-253473822256097/

Got a response back and they said it was not an early race car because of the A pillar and X missing. I'm kinda at a loss knowing that's true, I was hoping to race this thing. Any suggestions? Can it be easy made raceable? Or should I just look for something else?

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Every funco and hijumper of that era has the lacing between upper and lower frame rails done that way. Yes, you are missing the supports from the bottom of the A post to the beam, but I will bet you it was cut out. And can easily go back in. I have a picture of the frame I believe is the same as yours, I have to get to a scanner. It was sold as a race chassis back about 1973.

Steve92307

Reaction
Every funco and hijumper of that era has the lacing between upper and lower frame rails done that way. Yes, you are missing the supports from the bottom of the A post to the beam, but I will bet you it was cut out. And can easily go back in. I have a picture of the frame I believe is the same as yours, I have to get to a scanner. It was sold as a race chassis back about 1973.
Ok, thanks I appreciate it!! I take a few more photos that show a bit more details of the frame.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
So i sent a message over to these guys on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/Vintage-Off-Road-Racing-Vehicles-For-Sale-253473822256097/

Got a response back and they said it was not an early race car because of the A pillar and X missing. I'm kinda at a loss knowing that's true, I was hoping to race this thing. Any suggestions? Can it be easy made raceable? Or should I just look for something else?
Steve, that was me. I should have said that with the tubing missing (x bracing) above the foot and leg area, along with a few more supports down the side, “I believe” it not to be a race chassis. I have been wrong before and if anyone knows old buggy chassis’s better than me it’s Bro Gil. Good luck with the car, looks like fun.

Steve92307

Reaction
Steve, that was me. I should have said that with the tubing missing (x bracing) above the foot and leg area, along with a few more supports down the side, “I believe” it not to be a race chassis. I have been wrong before and if anyone knows old buggy chassis’s better than me it’s Bro Gil. Good luck with the car, looks like fun.
Lol, sorry man. Had no idea, wasn't trying to throw you under the bus or anything. Sorry about that. I'm posting some more pics of the car now

Rory

Crayola Killer
Reaction
Lol, sorry man. Had no idea, wasn't trying to throw you under the bus or anything. Sorry about that. I'm posting some more pics of the car now
No worries at all, I just wanted to clarify my response to you because it could have been misconstrued. Last thing I’d want you to think is that it couldn’t have been a race car when it absolutely could have. 👍

y2kbaja

Reaction
Nobody has said anything about the fuel cell? Vintage, Norra or any type of racing it should have a fuel cell instead of the tank it has. Along with a firewall between driver and fuel.
It looks like a Funco copy. I did one of those for 2015 Norra. We tried to race it in sportsman with Vorra at Wild West but rolled in practice. A slow, easy roll onto it's side. The damage to the frame was unbelievable. The chassis was not salvageable and we junked the car. So before you put any money into it to race decide if you really want that cage around you.

Attachments

• 10426525_10205851437431341_5807058075337524071_n.jpg
    10426525_10205851437431341_5807058075337524071_n.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6101.JPG
    IMG_6101.JPG
    463.4 KB · Views: 46