7100s

In_the_works

Reaction
Anyone have any input on the Bilstein 7100 series shocks? I found a pair of used 14" that I'm thinking of purchasing for a single shock setup on my F150, but I wasn't sure if they would suffice, considering that they are only 2" dia. I realize that I would be better off with some 2.5" SAW or King, but I was wondering if I could get away with the 2" for a few months until I could get enough $ for the latter.
thanks again,

Dane

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
I think that they would work fine for the time being. However, not sure you would want to "waste" your money if you are just going to upgrade in a few months. Its your money though!

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Wait a few months and save your money..just my opinion though.
No need to spend your money when they will be replaced in a few months. i wo9uld say more based on fact but then a shock war would ensue.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Yeah, it could get ugly. Reminds me of a I-beam war a just read about somewhere..... :)

See ya in the dirt!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
hahah yea

<font color=green>That which is, cannot be that which is not except in the minds and hands</font color=green>

In_the_works

Reaction
true, true. But the question still stands: would the 2" be adequate for the front end of a full size truck?
The reason for this post is that I am building up the front end of my truck bit by bit, and in order to fit most of the major brands of high performance shocks (SAW, KING, 'STEIN) on my truck, I'm going to need some custom buckets, because the stock version only allows mounting of screw top shocks. Sooooo, I'm gonna have to plunk down some $500 (unless you guys know of some cheaper coil buckets) and I'd prefer not to have to add another $600 on top of that for the shocks immediately. And I appreciate that this post hasn't turned into a shock brand war yet :}

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
A single 2.0 will not stand up to any abuse. If you can get it valved stiff enough to work good it will overheat and fade rapidly.

Dillon

Reaction
>>>>I'm gonna have to plunk down some $500 (unless you guys know of some cheaper coil buckets<<<<

Just out of curiosity, but $500 for shock mounts? You could get an engine cage fabbed up for less then that. I don't know F150s for crap tho, so whatever, I'm just curious :)

Dillon

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
What is the point of a 2.0 then? It should be able to handle a little abuse for a short period of time like say a couple months?!

See ya in the dirt!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
What year F150? Does it have the shock mounts on the front and rear of the bucket?

Kris

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Keep it on the street and you will be fine. Valve it with a lot of compression and it will run in the dirt fine too but it will fade fast with that much weight.

Kris

In_the_works

Reaction
500 bucks was the price Baja Concepts quoted me for coil buckets that would be able to cycle 14-15" of front travel. But hell, if you know of someone that could fab me an engine cage (MIG or Tigged mild steel) for that price, including mounts, I'd be all ears.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

In_the_works

Reaction
In response to you Kris, it's a '96 and only has the single mount behind the coil. When I bought it, it had some God-awful behind the coil dual set up with the second shock mount bolted-on at the top and held in place by a longer bolt going through both the lower shock eyes. It ended up prying the original mount right off the radius arm on the passenger side. Since then I replaced the arms with some of the extended Camburg bushing type, but I'm still running the Pro Crap shocks that were on when i bought it.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Get/make a hoop that comes from the frame in front of the bucket and up then back down to the top of the coilbucket. Plate the coilbucket and then make a tab for the shock on the beam. Should be very cost effective. Run a 14 inch shock or so, maybe longer...I have never played with an F150 so thats an estimate. with it like this you wont have to worry about shock/tire rub that is common with most aftermarket radius arms and bigger tires plus the shock is mounted at almost a 1:1 ratio and it is not leveraged on so much like it is when it is behind the coil.

Kris

Dillon

Reaction
Nevermind, I was thinking about coilovers for some reason but you are talking about 7100s, sorry. Listen to Kris, not me, I was never here, lol :)