• Forum membership has its advantages....

79 Ford NORRA Truck Build

jon coleman

just checking on bushing mount cage, i heard years ago its to keep frame from cracking, frame has ' flex' built in to it, , so if you hard mount cage, & its not done right, its actually worse then a poly mount cage, its just So much easier to hard mount, my dodge build( someday), i want to bushing mount to get that ' old skool' look.ps, nice build! More Pics!!.please...

partybarge_pilot

All the old Walker pre-runners were bushing mounted with mounts that bolted on. Zero welding in the frame to make HAZ's. They have zero issues 20 years down the road. They are also quite enough to not need headsets.

jon coleman

All the old Walker pre-runners were bushing mounted with mounts that bolted on. Zero welding in the frame to make HAZ's. They have zero issues 20 years down the road. They are also quite enough to not need headsets.
Thats how im going, all bolt on landing points like the front leaf hanger landing point on JMs f100

Rory

Crayola Killer
i think we should get this picture on every thread from here on out.
john, I agree, it’s a great picture!! There’s a better one of me holding a gas can which I’m sure Martin can post too.....

john Mcc

all mine are bolt on except for the very front and very rear, they are welded on (not sure why they did those that way back then)

bullnerd

all mine are bolt on except for the very front and very rear, they are welded on (not sure why they did those that way back then)
How are the A-pillar tubes connected to the frame? I cant see any mounts on the frame?

Sorry for the hijack and thanks for answering my questions. No access to this stuff in NJ!

john Mcc

How are the A-pillar tubes connected to the frame? I cant see any mounts on the frame?

Sorry for the hijack and thanks for answering my questions. No access to this stuff in NJ!
They attach to a plate on the floor for now, i going to change them so they go to the frame with a bushing. Ill send so pictures when i get home tonight.

jon coleman

the ends of frame being Not in middle or next to a suspension critical area, probably is not that stressed out when ' flexing'

jon coleman

another trick, is to sandwich cab with another plate under cab, then ad a little1 foot ish long kicker to poly end to frame tabs.but from the looks of it, chop it out and do it with one continues tube, adding kicker is a style to add to an existing nice cage allready installed with Just plates to floor boards, Never trust that style in a rollover!!!!

Attachments

john Mcc

another trick, is to sandwich cab with another plate under cab, then ad a little1 foot ish long kicker to poly end to frame tabs.but from the looks of it, chop it out and do it with one continues tube, adding kicker is a style to add to an existing nice cage allready installed with Just plates to floor boards, Never trust that style in a rollover!!!!
yes im just going to cut it out and turn it towards the fram.

bullnerd

Thanks John.

Looks like the the tubes at the rear of the cab have plates where they pass through, but also extend down to the frame/bushing.