7S motors

ORI

Reaction
Kevin,

The sad thing is, I do have a clue. I have been around 7S way longer then you have, and no this isn't a pissing contest. But when the team that I was first involved with started racing 7S we tried to do everythig by the rules. But guess were it got us, last place, everytime, except for when York and MacPherson blew there motors we got second. All I'm saying is that this, if you want it to remain a stock class then take away all of the illegal (Non-Stock in this case) parts. Do me a favor, walk through your local Ford dealership and look under the front of the trucks, besides having A-Arms now, there is not one heim, yet as last I can recall your Radius Arms are Heimed and bent. Oh yeah you might want to ask the serivce guy to show you his catalog of parts, becuase once again there is no C-4 transmission in the Ranger. Thats all I have to say on this subject, if you can't see that you are being a hipocrit then I am truly sorry. Good Luck to all 7s racers, and be safe at Laughlin.

Off-Road Insider
I know ALL!!!!!!!!

rt_racer

Reaction
solution to problems in 7 s ; I dont have a huge budget but I went to 7 open 3 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did . they are a lot of fun to drive and as long as its a v-6 under 4500cc you can run pretty fast.Just be careful of the flacky fabios out there when changing over to 4 link and radius arms.We have 10-12 in class now and we would welcome more.

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
where is the 7s board? like to evesdrop on it

<font color=red>PAT KAPKO</font color=red>
<font color=yellow>Fab by travolta</font color=yellow>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Pat it is only for 7s owners.

Kris

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
just to read, i can see the class 9 board but not reply. Just looking for info and stuff. I guess i'll have to buy a 7s then

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Yeah Pat pick one up and let me know. The people that had us setup the forums for them wanted to keep them hidden from public and only open to owners.. Sorry bro. Wish I could hook everyone up.

JasonHutter

Reaction
Well guys and gals, we are running a 2.4 L Toyota that we have put a larger carb on and opened up the exhaust. We are the truck that will be starting next to the S&S truck. If you want to see the difference in motors watch Saturdays race in Laughlin. The other thing that you will have to consider is I am pretty sure they are running 4 wheel drive and we are 2 wheel drive.

Jason
Fire Guys Racing
#724 for Laughlin

robert_encinas

Reaction
hey ori, i was just told that 84-85 rangers did in fact have c-4 trannys in them. i personally dont know if this is fact
,but i was told this by a ford mechanic. i thought it was the c-5 trans in those trucks.

DMSRACE

Reaction
Robert, you are right, they did. ORI, i agree with you on the part side of it. But every ranger out there has those radius arms and so on and so forth. That is my point, were do it stop? What team did you race with?

Kevin

Racer

jeff

Reaction
Hey Pat... isn't your Toyota a 7S? Is it too late to enter Laughlin? :) You could have some fun racing AND get access to the secret boards!

Aloha

pciscott

Reaction
ORI the c-4 transmision did come in some ford mini pickups, also the mounts on a radius arm are a bushing. A heim joint or spherical bearing is also a bushing. The 7s rules allow you to add material and reinforce therefore the way I read the rules heim joints are legal. The motor rules are not an issue I'm up on, but we spent over $10,000 dollars on our 2.9 Ford motor for our 7s and Yorks $30,000 Ed Pink motor would walk all over us. What in the end made our truck more competitive was a billet under drive transfer case. 8.5 to 1 final drive made our truck fast off the line and able to jump on top of the whoops. Top speed was only 85 miles per hour, but what is the average speed of a 7s? Dave Hadley in fallbrook builds these units for two and 4 wheel drive trucks and they pay for themselves within a year. Before we got this we ran 6.5 Gears that would crack almost every race, then we went to 4.11 gears and the underdrive and the rear end would go all year and the transfer case takes all the load. This was a bullet proof setup. In all classes people with more money have an advantage Yorks motor was a 2.5 liter with over 300 horsepower and gobs of torque. Huge advantage over all 2.8 and 2.9 motors because of the torque difference. Another trick would be to go to a 5 speed transmision this puts more power to the ground. The motor displacement rule is not an issue I want to take sides on, but can you even get a truck with that small of an engine anymore? The only way to make everyone 100% equal would be with a chasi dyno, have a maximum horsepower and put restrictor plates on the trucks that are over powered, but who has a mobile dyno or the money? No matter what size motor is chosen someone will always have a dominant truck, whether more money or more desire to win. Good luck to everyone and when you do beat S+S the victory will be much sweater. These guys used to race a Toyota and Fords kicked there Ass for years. Now some of you Ford guys have your work cut out, go get them! I believe that Fords are faster than Chevys period. Good luck to everyone in 2002 and remember testing, testing, and more testing is what wins races.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
i'll be racing parker...lol

drtdevil93

Reaction
the problem i see is this: if you put a limit on engine size, motor cost goes way up. if you put a limit on compression, or octane, motor sizes go up. either way, one side gets an unfair advantage.
what about this: larger motors are given stricter guidelines (reduced octane, compression, restrictor plate, while smaller motors are given more freedom. that way people can choose a wild small motor, or a mild large motor. im tired right now, so i cant think of any problems with this. just my 2cents.

erik

Tomack

Reaction
Well I think you are wrong. The S&S guys have a good truck. But as I recall in the mini metal bash video, there was a " FORD" truck with a"BIG MOTOR". That passed the "CHEVY" with the"BIG MOTOR". and stayed in front, It shows for about a mile after the main videos is over. Racing is fun for the people that do it for a hobbie, no matter how fast you are going, or what size motor you have. My 2 cents I personaly think that a 4 "banger on roids" will kick any V6 out there in the class. I mean if Custer can run with a 4.3 all day and get passed at the very end of the race that says something about 4 bangers. And like Scott says a 5 speed is way better than an automatic, I think. Automatic is 7s are for old men. If everything goes good Laughlin is going to be a good rompin.

Peace out !!!!!!

"race gas, in the early morning" Booing

JasonHutter

Reaction
That Ford was Bruce Landfield's truck with Joel at the wheel when it passed the S&S truck.

ntsqd

Reaction
"....but who has a mobile dyno .....?
Dave Evans. EvanSpeed, look him up - he's in the greater LA area. It's mounted on a trailer complete with a 3 gas and an O-scope. He's a Weber tuning genius.

Y'all are making my argument for a one size fits all restrictor better and better all of the time. The guy running the old 2.0L in a ranger (because that's what his came with) would be breathing thru the same sized hole as the $30,000 4.3L. Suddenly spending $30,000 doesn't seem like such a good investment.

When I think Hiem joint, Rose joint, spherical bearing, spherical rod end, I think exactly that; A bearing. Most of the manufacturer's of Heim-Rose-spherical's call themselves "XYZ Bearing Co.", not "XYZ Bushing Co."
A bushing is something else entirely. If the relative motion takes place within the unit, it's a bearing. If the relative motion takes place at a boundary of the unit, it is a bushing.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Ryno

Reaction
Maybe I am way out my league on this one, but I'll put my.02 on the bar. For those of you who don't know...the 4.3 is a 350 with the front two cylinders chopped off. Same bore and stroke. So, basically, almost all tricks for the 350 work in the 4.3. Fords 4.0 isn't even close. It barely holds a candle, and basically has no larger V8 relatives. But, where you can make power up, is in GEARS.

I used to build street motors, still do a couple here and there. I would see 5.0's smoke corvette's all day long with the t-56 (6 spd), and 3.90's in the rear end. You could even go to a 4.11, and still do 90 in the overdrive and save on gas, but still rock and roll through 4th gear.

If you put a limit on HP, your going to have guys spending the money on billet transfer cases and trannies with mammoth gears in them. Point is, if you get the thing to scoot out of the hole, you're more than 2/3 there. Set up the gear box with the right ratios, and you could make it much more fair.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
Restrictor plate? Bill Savage did not even bring it up…? I'll have to ask him about that. ORI: 7S is a class is for racers with no budget. Heim joints on the ends of the trailing arms makes sense from a maintenance standpoint. Our truck is still limited to 12" of travel in the front and the pivot is still in the same place as OEM. We run rubber on the I Beam pivot to give the suspension some cushion. Bearing or bushing, it doesn't matter. Look at Jeep Speed running Ford 9" rear ends. Why? Because it makes sense from a cost factor. Lower cost means more entries in 7S in my eyes. PCI Scott: As you know, we also have an under drive and have run 8.06 final drive ratio before! There is no cheaper horsepower than MORE GEAR! nstqd: Mobile dyno is not an answer. Think about the logistics man! Tomack: Get back to work on our truck and stop dissing automatics until we get the new 6 speed and clutch system working…

THROTTLE DOWN

Quick_Prerunner

Reaction
How about this. The SCCA and speedvision championships add weight to the the winner of each race. Everytime a car wins they add 25 to 30 pounds. They keep adding on weight until that car stops winning. Can we apply this to 7S? That way no matter what a team does to get an advantage they can be brought back down to where everyone else is. Any other way to make the playing grounds level would take so much man power to oversee it all.

Mike