7S motors

Tomack

Reaction
Automatics are for babbies(Bruce). You would like the 5 speed set up. It works it realy does. Just go back to the 99 Laughlin race remeber that. You lost a trans and we won the race with a manual trans never had to change a trans ever. And the weight thing is stupid. Add weight ya right, those trucks are heavy as it is. That why the big motors are better.

Peace out!!!!!

"race gas, in the early morning" Booing

martininsocal

Reaction
you guys are cracking me up! it would be easy to fix this problem, but no one wants to admit they want to do it. the 2.5 liter rule would be great if coupled with 2 things-9.0 compression ratio and no venturi larger than 36mm. or use a restrictor plate to do the same thing. talk about keeping costs down! nomore 10,000 dollar trannies. you could use stock 31 spline 9" rear ends, you would still have speed, it just may take a little onger to get there. the underdirve box would be a good incentive over the 6.0 gears that don't hold up, but how about this- maximum tire height-33"s!
what this all boils down to is everyone wants to race for overall. without breaking any rules, most guys break all the rules! firewalls get pushed back, cabs get pushed back, bigger tires get put on, more trannies and rearends break, eventually the 7s trucks are running faster than the 7 open trucks on average. this is not what this class was suppose to be about. and what did the escalation of this class cause? the implementation of another class! stock mini! price one of those lately?
get rid of heims, so what if you have to replace bushings all the time, that is part of prep/maintenance. do you see the 9 car guys bitching about replacing thier ball joints every race? no-it is part of the cost of racing. think about what it would take to get more trucks out there. it is not bigger motors.

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

ntsqd

Reaction
" nstqd: Mobile dyno is not an answer. Think about the logistics man! "

Hey I was just pointing out that it's possible to do, never said it was feasible to do.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

ntsqd

Reaction
"get rid of heims, so what if you have to replace bushings all the time, that is part of prep/maintenance."

Ace Motorsports has proved that it's feasible to win a season like this.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
Either way on the heims. I don't think it is an advantage. One less thing to do on our truck... How about the uniball spindles on the Dirt Pilot 7S truck! This is a clear durability advantage. Those should never break.

THROTTLE DOWN

wayne_demonja

Reaction
ten years ago in 7 4x4 class i ran a stock motor with a header and carb set up and finished many races in the top 5 so first you must finish the race. but today the engine in my truck cost about $20000.00 to build and it is a 4 cylinder 3 liter. i would like the rule to stay at 3 liter if not the weight adding to larger engine trucks would be the easy and cheapest to police. i also in the past ran a automatic trans and the last year in the 7 4x4 i switched to a 5 speed it was the best thing i did. today i run a 4 speed much simpler. you have no coolers, less heat, more power, and it weights less so i like the 4 speed even though i am getting old.

Tomack

Reaction
dude, I am glad somebody got the idea. 4 cylinder 3 liter is the most competive motor out there. and yes you are right with the 4 or 5 speed trans. That is the best way to go no coolers and extra fluids and especaliy no dam pain in the ass fliud lines. This is the way the rules need to be, back to the 4 cylinders. I've preped a 4 banger,and both types of six cylinders ( 2.9 and the 3.8) Those motors
suck for having room to work with. But the horse power is nice!

" 4 Bangers on Crack rule!"
Peace out !!!!!

"race gas, in the early morning" Booing

billymanfroy

Reaction
I just have to ask... Who makes a 3.0L 4 cylinder? I thought you could only get 2.8L out of a Ford 2.3, but I don't know anything about other manufacturers. Talk to me, because I'm desperate for more ponies, and I have to decide soon which way I'm going to go (4 or 6)

Thanks,

Billy

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
IF it cost 20k its probably an Esslinger 4 banger.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is; with two watches, he is never sure" Joseph E. Shigley

billymanfroy

Reaction
I have an Esslinger alum head, and the last I heard, their stroker crank (I think around $1800) was only good for 2.8L. That's why I'm so curious. You can make a 2.5L - 2.6L with the newer (smaller journal) 2.3 block and the 2.5 crank, but most people don't like to bore any of them too much, so the only hope is with the crank (stroke). I know midget guys that are buying Esslinger all-aluminum 2.3's motors for $12-$14k with pumps, injection, crank fire included. Guess I'm curous what the other $6k gets you with an iron block, and how you get the additional 200cc's over the 2.8 stroker kit. I'd be curious to know what Huseman runs, because he is the all-time champ with a gas/iron Ford 4 cyl IMHO. Probably a little on the hand grenade side for desert, but I'm sure it could be tuned down to last.

wayne_demonja

Reaction
in reply to who makes a 3 liter 4 cylinder we built ours all in house and it is to be true to you is a 2962 and started out as the comon 2.3 with room to over bore to .060 over. the only thing that is from esslinger is a main cap strap kit and the intake manifold. maybe i fibed at the $20000.00 to build but i would not build one for less.

wayne demonja motorsports

colorado racer

wayne_demonja

Reaction
yes your wright with the esslinger parts we had our crank made buy winburg cranks in denver about 3 years ago and in cost $1780.00 it has a little longer stroke and we used carillo rods and wisco pistons.with the svo tall block all made to fit we now have about 300 miles with no problems. as for the cylinder head you might laugh we used the ranger cast head and put the largest valves possible and toke another head and cut it apart in the middle of the runners and went to porting, flows great. so i fibed on the $20000.00 but i would not build one for less. i have built lots of mini stock motors so we have played with differnt things. as far as exta money over a esslinger not, but we have dry sump with the power steering on it to loose a belt and tilton flywheel-clutch-starter,msd,webers,oil coolers you know ect.we all have to include the nickle dime stuff like radiators, oil filter housings,earls oil lines,filters,ect.
hope it answers any questions thanks wayne

colorado racer