7s question

martininsocal

Reaction
Since I don't have access to the 7s board, I thought I would ask here as 7s comes up quite often. In the front end rules, what is allowed and what isn't? Are pivot points allowed to move, or must they remain in the same centerline in all planes? Can arms be extended? Won't name names, just read that a 7s competitor has extended front arms on their truck in a mag and wondered if this was allowed. Also-How much of the stock arm (if it has to be a stock arm) must be used to maintain legality for the upper on the front? And yes, there are 2 different trucks being built, so both sides of the questions are relevent.

Thanks
Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Big_Matt

T.A.B.
Reaction
SUSPENSION COMPONENTS

Spindles may be of any manufacturer and may be reinforced.
Front and rear suspension must be of the same manufacture, shape, size and configuration as originally produced and installed on the chassis to which it is mounted. All suspension components except shock absorbers and rear leaf springs will remain in the original stock locations and original stock mounting methods maintained. All components will be original manufacturers design with the exception of the shock absorbers.
A?arms, I?beams, and front axles must remain stock as delivered on the chassis to which it is mounted. Parts may be strengthened by adding material but must remain stock shape, size, and configuration as delivered from the manufacturer. Stock pivot point locations must be retained. Mounting points may be strengthened. Ball joints may be of any manufacturer. Front springs must remain in stock locations and retain original stock concept (leaf, coil, torsion). Rates and capacities of springs are open.

Rear springs may be lengthened to equal that of the longest stock production rear leaf spring as delivered by the manufacturer on a mini or mid?sized pickup. As of now the legal maximum length is 57.5". If a manufacturer produces a longer spring than the one that is delivered on your vehicle you may increase your spring length to the same as that spring as long as they are mounted in the original stock manner (under frame, side of frame) and frame is not modified. Spring may be mounted above or below axle. Rates and capacities of springs open. Two (2) single point anti?wrap up bars may be used on the rear differential.
Stock front and rear track width must be retained ±2".
Stock sway bars may be removed.
All suspension components must be retained except for those allowed to be removed above.
Front wheel travel limited to 12 inches.

CR10 SHOCK ABSORBERS and BUMP STOPS
Number of shocks and mounting methods are optional. Mounting points may be strengthened and design modified. Shocks may not protrude through the hood.
No remote mounted shocks.
Hydraulic bump stops are allowed as long as frame and wheel travel rules are observed.
No air shocks
CR11 SECONDARY SUSPENSION
No secondary suspension allowed.
CR12 WHEELS and TIRES
Any manufacturer’s wheels and any manufacturer tires are allowed as long as CR12 guidelines are maintained.
CR13 FASTENERS

STEERING AND BRAKE COMPONENTS

CR14 STEERING
Steering box must remain stock mini or mid-size truck of the same manufacture as the vehicle and remain original in concept. Steering box mounting may be reinforced by adding material but must remain in the stock location.
Steering parts (tie rods, tie rods ends, idler arms, pitman arms, relay rods and turning arms) may be specially made provided they are in the stock location and operate in the original manner.
Any manufacture steering wheel may be used. Steering wheel position may be changed a maximum of 3" fore or aft.
CR15 BRAKES

hoeker

Reaction
sounds like there's a little room for interpretation there. remember, all rule books are printed on grey paper.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

martininsocal

Reaction
Big Matt- I believe what I see! I am just curious since there was a disqualification at Laughlin. This could get ugly if the rules are enforced on many of the trucks.

If your gonna go, go BIG

Ahles

Reaction
Martininsocal:

I'm planning on racing in the San Felipe 250 in the <3.0 class 7s. I called SCORE and talked to Bill S. and he told me that they will be inspecting the top finishers in the class after each race now and will DQ without a protest based on rule.

I asked him a few questions and he told me length of arms stock but track width max. one inch longer than stock. "Original stock locations" means stock pivot points, and "Shape, size & configuration" means you can add material but he better be able to recognize the part, for example you cannot encapsulate inside tubing. Did not ask him about removing material on the upper arm to run a larger shock, but did say running cut down F-150 beams on a Ranger is against the rules.

His shop is located in Vista and anyone could come by and talk with him or get pre-inspected.

Dave
Makena Motorsports

Rodney

Reaction
Martin- When I ran 7s in 93-97, the rules read the same as they do now. I can tell you everyone in the class was technically breaking the rules regarding the front end. However as long as you didn't cycle over 12 inches of travel, no one said anything. I understand now (for whatever reason) there has been some finger pointing in the class and the can of worms has been opened. Savage will probably crack down for a while untill things settle back down.

Winning IS everything