7s Questions?

Eric

Reaction
I am considering moving to a 7S type of truck. I consider it the 1600 of trucks. Limited and a good learning vehicle.

Does anyone have any numbers and/or info on the costs to race a 7S? I was looking for prep costs mostly. How long does a motor/transmission survive before a rebuild? What are the bigger costs associated with a 7S.

Thanks for any info anyone could provide.

Eric
-------------------
Z-YA Racing
www.z-yaracing.com

bpthirteen

Reaction
How much you spend depends on what you build. If you run a mild motor it will go for a while between rebuilds. As far as prep costs on the rest of the truck, it just depends how far you want to go. I know Jamie Campbell does almost a complete tear-down of his truck between races. It doesn't cost that much money, but it takes a lot of time.

http://www.prepbyjake.com

Attachments

IRONGOOK

Reaction
Eric a lot depends on the type of truck you run and how hard you plan to race. Like Bpthirteen stated, it takes a lot of time. We are running a 7s Toyota and know how much it costs and how long it takes to prep. No matter how long you spend prepping it never seems to be enough. If I can answer any questions or share some notes, post or drop me an e-mail theirongook@yahoo.com
Wayne

J_Dog

Reaction
Eric,
We run an older Ford Ranger 7S and, like others said, a lot depends on how much prep you want to do or what you break.Genrally, between races we spend about $100-150 on prep, mainly fluid changes and other little things. Recently, we rolled the truck in practice before the race, mainly cosmetic damage, but we bought some dent puullers and some touch-up paint. During the race the left front spindle broke. Fortunately, when we bought the truck it came with many spares, namely spindles, so replacement was $0, except for the $100 we spent on two ball joints. Had spare brake line parts already, too. Next time they will cost us though. 7S is definitely an entry level type of truck racing, but don't be fooled it isn't totally cheap. Racing is expensive. Besides money, plan on spending lots of free time working on the truck. Any questions or info. needed PM or e-mail me.

Jeff Matlock
<font color=red>Law Dogz Off-Road Racing</font color=red>
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
Eric,

If you want to beat the fasp trucks in the class plan on spending. I won a 7s championship in SCORE in 1999 when the engine size was 3 liter. We figure it cost $4000 - $6000 per race. I have reciepts that come up to around $35,000 when we built my truck. However, we did a bunch of trading and much of the work ourselfs. If you go to a professional race shop plan on spending $70,000 to $90,000 to get a truck built. It can be done for less money and you can still win. To finish first, you must first finish. My advise: spare no expense on the suspension. Make the chassis as stout as the rules will allow. However, be careful not to make the truck to heavy. This will keep the maintence costs in check. Build a truck that finishes races, then work on winning. The desert is the great equalizer. All the horsepower in the world will not help you if you can't make the truck last to the checkered flag. I know guys in the class that have won with a stock engines making less than 200 horsepower.

Send an email to the guys that run this site, Klaus or John Bitting once you have a truck. There is a 7s private message board that is open to anybody that owns a 7s truck. The intent of this board is to have a forum for 7s race truck owners to discuss the issues facing this class.

Best of luck and GOOD RACING!

THROTTLE DOWN

JeffS

Reaction
Can anyone tell me what happened to the 7s Ranger that was driven by Scott from PCI many years ago ?

Thanks,
Jeff S.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.RedRockOffroad.com>http://www.RedRockOffroad.com</A> - There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

slimjim

Reaction
i don't see many ex cab rangers in 7s. how come? i have always preferred the wheelbase of the ex cab. i am also 6'7", so i pretty much need the extra cab. i am also hoping to race 7s some day.

put on your seatbelt...

StandOnTheGas

Reaction
The ex-PCI / Steinberger / Plank 7s Ranger was sold to Mike (or Matt?) Macarthy. He raced it for a while then sold it to a guy who I think bought it to race in Austraila.

THROTTLE DOWN

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
A good note to add...Build a Ford and make it a newer one (A-arm). Ford is only paying out half of the contingency for the older vehicles in BITD. I think the nicest(might be the only one) A-arm ranger out is Braden's...very nice Lothringer built.

Per race prep is in the $5k range...

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Tomack

Reaction
Lets Just put it this way if you are racing for fun you will finish. If you are racing for the money you will sometimes break. I am sure that Stand on the gas will stand behind me on that. So my words of advise is, if you are going to race for money don't. Race to have fun you will never make what you put into the truck. Trust me you want to build it right, so that you could push it to the limits. Without breakin. Good luck!!!!!!!

"If you aint racin, you aint livin"