8.8 axle swap

Chris

Reaction
I'm swapping out my trashed 7.5 axle on my '98 ranger and swapping in an 8.8 out of a '91 ranger. Does anyone know if the u-joint on the differential side of the driveshaft is the same size?
Thanks
Chris

J_Dog

Reaction
Chris,
I believe they are the same. Check out The Ranger Station website, I believe they have a article on this topic. If not, try on one of their forums. Very good info on the site regarding all years of Rangers.

www.therangerstation.com

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

singlehanded

Reaction
swap in an explorer rear end you'll be happier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

WFODAN

Reaction
I actually just swapped a 7.5 for an 8.8 in my older ranger . It wasn't bolt in . I had to go to the driveline shop and get a new driveshaft flange and a conversion joint to make it work . Only costed me like 45 bucks total though . Other than that went right in . Hope that helps .

Dan Vance

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
On you rred one Dan? The older ones need a different flange but 94 and later they all thave the same flange.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
On the early trucks (before 94) the 7.5 had a smaller pinion flange bolt pattern then the 8.8's. You could get the driveshaft out of an 8.8, any 94 or newer, or do what dan did - your call. (BTW - I got a driveshaft out of a 4.0 for $40 from a junk yard when I did my 89. All trucks after 94 had the same size pinion flange whether 4.0/8.8 or not. Steve