• Forum membership has its advantages....

8.8 rear ends

gary

i may have lucked into an 8.8 explorer rear end (i'll know for sure this week) to swap under my toyota, but it's got drum brakes. although i don't really need discs, i want 'em. how hard is it to switch it over to discs, or can/should i even do it?

Jimmy8

I don't think it would be so hard. I have a 1999 F 150 with a 8.8 in the rear. It has 4 wheel discs straight from the factory, and will stop on a dime. I think that ford shops can do a factory equiptment swap for an 8.8 to put the discs on if you have drums. Ford Motorsport may also have a performance swap kit for them as well. As far as doing it, I can totally tell the difference. My dad had the same year model truck with the drums, before discs became standard, and my truck would out brake him any day of the week. It is totally worth it if you have the funds. Wilwood or some place like that may also have a conversion kit.

PMC Racing

John Bitting

Administrator
Full Pull just bought a kit to convert to discs on his explorer from Currie Enterprises for around $300 I believe, It comes with everything.

Motorider

Do you know if it came with a new master cylingder, because I think that a explorer 4x it says that you are going to need a larger cylinder to push the calipers.

DougM

Id wait to find a 8.8 with discs. All of them from 95+ have discs. They are ABUNDANT! plus there cheap and have 31 spline axles. The drum models do not.

good luck

Jerry Zaiden

I agree with Doug. Get one with disk brakes. Don't waste your time with one with drum brakes. You will pay more money and have a rear end that is just older. You can get a 8.8 with a locker and a good gear ratio for around $400-$500. Call Ajax, Roccos, all Ford, Ford Only etc...

Mikey

Are 31 spline axles that much stronger? 5 liter Mustangs have 28 splines, right? The Stainless kit and the Currie kit use the stock master.
The Currie kit is all Explorer pieces (11" rotors).

DougM

"Are 31 spline axles that much stronger?"

YES they are.

Im unsure as to why the Mustang uses a 28spline, but why not get the beefiest 8.8 available.

its all about ease of install, price, and disc brakes.

good luck.

Chris_Wilson

The Ford SVO catalog says an 8.8" with 31 spline axles approaches the strength of the 9" rear end.
And 28 spline Mustangs may be fine with a 5.0 but off-road the 31 spline adds needed strength
even with a little 4 cyl engine. Big tires and whoops are hard on axles.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I may be talking out of my ass here - but I'm very sure that every Explorer since '93, if not the beginning, has had 31-spline axles in the rear. I know they all had 8.8's. Actually, now that I think about it, I think all Explorers have 31 spline axles, but the Rangers with 8.8's have 28. I'll go snoop around at the explorer forum. But either way, he's right - just find a '95-up Explorer rearend, they have discs and 31 spline axles.

David - No one of consequence.

gary

the axle is out of a sport trac, and was already upgraded to 31 spline axles and a limited slip, from what i understand...i haven't actually seen it yet, but you'd think sport tracs had discs?

Greg

The weakest thing about any of the 8.8's is that the axle tubes will pull out if the center section. The cure is to brace the axle and make sure the axle tubes wont rotate or slide out.

Greg

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I'm positive that Sport Trac's have discs. If it came from an ST then it should have disc brakes.

David - No one of consequence.

Jimmy8

Personally, I would wait for a 9 inch. They are one of the best rear ends ever made. Parts are abundant, cheap, and you can do just about anything you want with one. If an 8.8 is all you can do though, I am sure it is better than your toyota rear end.

PMC Racing

gary

the axle i was hoping for is gone...so i guess it's back to the drawing board....thanks for the help, everyone.....