'80-96 full-size Ford Bronco in Rock Racing (Ultra4, etc.)?

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Anyone ever seen an '80-96 full-size Ford Bronco campaigned (and if so, successfully) in anything similar to Ultra4?

Just curious. . .I'm picking up a '96 Ford Bronco to do drop the body & bed of a '49 Jeep Willy's pick-up onto (wheelbase is less than an inch differenct, frames are the same width, get an updated EFI engine/transmission. . .seems like a great way to finally start driving that Willy's around) and I always thought the Willy's would look good built like an Ultra4 rig. That being said. . .just wondering if there have been any Bronco based rigs so I could see what they did.

Thanks!

Josh 8

Reaction
You need to go out to the hammer trails. Park and walk up to the gate keeper. It will blow your mind as to how nasty those rocks are.

Any thing like a bronco or even a Willie’s will get destroyed in the first 1/2 mile of trail.

Hence the reason a rock racer does not have a body.

Btw. A bronce is about as close to a ultra 4 as a production raptor is to a trophy truck.

You can’t get there from your starting point. Now that said. You could build a cool play rig. But it won’t be a ultra 4.

Last edited:

Tom_Willis

Reaction
My '96 5.8 Bronco has (had) a whopping 197hp and weighs over two tons empty. The '49 Willy's is smog exempt and you can run that thing on coal if you want to, plus registration is cheap.

Reaction
Registration is tied to chassis, not body swapped onto chassis.