8009 Parker race report.

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
Parker 425 race report.

Short story. Dnf but had a good time.

Longer story.

Dnf’ed but feel blessed to have a truck. So the one item after prepping/rebuilding the entire truck over the last six months I did not touch because it working fine last time was the carburetor. At about mile 60 in the higher speed stuff the engine started to back fire some as lifted off the power. About 10 miles later by mile 70 I notice I was down on power some and could smell a little gas. I thought about pulling over to investigate but I passed Shoppe and the one 5u car that was I front of the 8’s and was in clear air. I didn’t want to stop. Plus I didn’t have many parts with me and the tackle box of carb parts was at main. So hammer down we are going to main! At about rm 85 the engine just coughed and died. Immediately, poof! Flames everywhere! We were doing about 50 and flames were come out form the hood around the air cleaner, the rear of the hood and window line, the fire wall holes hand cracks the floor holes and cracks. I didn’t know there were that many holes and cracks In the cab. My co dawg, my 22 year old cousin Jeramy was lifting his feet to not burn them! This was about less then 2 seconds in to the fire. I saw the flames at his feet as I was reaching down to pull the halon bottle handel. I clearly remember wondering if it was going to pop off. I had looked at the gauge and it was good a few months back but who knows now? Was the cable lock on the other end of the handle actually going to still be there? Whats the handle going to feel like pulling it? All this went through my mind in about a 1/2 second. By 3 second into the fire I could hear the bottle spraying both inside the cab and at the rear of the intake valley greatly reducing my stress. Immediately after the pulling the halon bottle the same hand moved up to the dash to flip the master off, therefore killing the fuel pump. There is zero chance of ever putting a fuel fed file out. I don’t care if a water truck hoses it down, I won’t go out. I then was look for a clear spot of dirt to park this along the course as to not burn the desert down. I rolled about 150 feet to a clear spot to park it. Immediately, Jeramy was out. I forgot to take the steering wheel off so my knees were tight around the wheel but I got out. By now we were probably 10 to 15 seconds into the fire, I could hear the halon still spraying and all the smoke was mostly white so know it was working as we were parked. Once parked I grabbed a 5 lbs powder fire extinguisher and finished the rest of the fire off. For as bad as it could have been, I got away lucky. Only some melted wires and light burned paint. None of the fiberglass was even hurt! The cause was the lock nut for the primary float came loose and everything rattled out. This opened the top of the bowl up and it began to dump a 5/16 stream of gas on top of the engine. It was close, I think if it had gone a few more seconds it could have all been lost.

As for Jeramy, he’s fine. His big event was losing his favorite chicken fried steak and eggs breakfast in some big rollers at about mile 30. Over the intercom I hear some strange liquid sounds. Kind of like squeezing tooth paste from a tube. I asked him, “did you just boof?” He said “yeah” in a groogeled mouth full way. That’s when I hear him cough a little more. I then told him to pull his dust skirt on the helmet way from the driving suit to dump it all out. With a some what excited reply I hear “ok yeah” as this was something that had not came to mind for him yet. About a moment later though I hear him flat barf into the mic with some muzzle velocity this time. Immediately, after he says over the mic, “oh God! I can’t see!” All the while I never lifted and we were doing about 90.

jajaja!!!!
03719692-D9FA-4D22-8872-1E6985B98DED.jpeg

Jeramy and I.
53F74AE7-FA13-494F-90F0-7AF1E0E4CE6C.jpeg

My daughter
0AA6FF7E-270C-41AD-B710-5DE01D4657E3.jpeg

After the race in town. We stopped to eat. Jeramy was hungry at this point.
9A7947FF-1378-4742-9E89-0E0067F8D94A.jpeg

Melted wires
87A12E5C-D6B5-4420-A2B8-802F42C7FFDA.jpeg

Lining up at the start.

Last edited:

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
Special thanks to Pat O’keefe. Pat owns one of Walkers class 8’s and safecraft fire suppression. It’s his system that saved my truck. Big thank you’s to him. If you guys do not have a halon system, get one. Then inspect it so you will have confidence it will work when called on. I had a horrible sinking feeling for a moment as I wonder if it was going to work after 5 years of neglect. Thank God it did! Pat’s system saved my truck.

Advertising supports this site

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
Yeah. I am going to do the Holley dominator efi with timing control. I didn’t have any time to dyno the truck so I ran 28 degrees timing and a rich f/a mixture. If I can advance the timing to 34-36 degrees and run a correct f/a I will make more power with out the fear of detonation, it will get better mpg. If I can go from 3 to 3.5 that’s a huge improvement on the distance 70 gallons will take me.

Exp24

RDC Crypto
We did the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 on our small block Ford. Easy hook up, self learning as you drive. We have had no issues with the system.

Zambo

RDC Crypto
The bolt on efi systems out there are so easy and work so well I don't know why anyone would still run a carb. Heck, I even put one on my old motorhome. Also, if the engine dies, most if not all of them stop running the fuel pump.

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
It was 👍. But I told him after, that if he still wants to ride dawg, he need to buy a new one and give it to my brother to replace this one. He was the first one to wear it last June when it was new and there probably little chance of getting all the biscuits and gravy out of the cracks and crevices. Lols.

Tom_Willis

RDC Crypto
That's why bananas are a safe choice for a pre-race meal. Sure, there's potassium (prevents muscle cramps), but more importantly, it's tastes the same going down as it will coming back up😬

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
My worst ever was Baileys and Doritos. I was 19. I had no idea what I was doing. It poured and I was hungry.

Josh 8

RDC Crypto
Fine. But it’s gonna be hard on the o2 sensor. I don’t know how fast it’s gonna do one in but I would guess it would last over a 1000 miles. Or use unleaded race gas.

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
Ricky Ricardo ran av gas& pump 50/50 in his jeep speed efi, the o2, obd 1, would last awhile, then run lousey