83-88 ranger balljoints

singlehanded

Reaction
Where can I get them done at at a reasonable price and should I ask for moog balljoints? How much can I expect to pay? location North o.c.
thanks

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

hoeker

Reaction
if you use your truck hard, there are lots better joints than moog. i wrecked 'em all in my CORR stock truck, except the dana joints that napa sells, not the cheapies, the lifetime waranty units. oops i did break one at crandon this fall, but they are the best joint available. lots better than moog. same with steering joints. moogs would only last one race. dana's would last the season.

LIGHTS RIGHT
www.rosshoek.com

DMSRACE

Reaction
did they warranty them???? I tried in our 7s and they said no way!!!! I told them they were on my street truck...

Racer

To live life half throttle would be a waste....

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I would take Ross's advice on this one. Dan and I watched him on tv the other night and he beats his truck worse then Dan ever did. a couple of rolls, bicycles, forest driving.. It was great watching. Thank Ross.

"faster than it looks"

singlehanded

Reaction
you said you broke the good napa joints did they give a free replaement on them?

midnight landscaper working overtime and I'm full throttle I'm full throttle tonight

hoeker

Reaction
if you want them to warantee them, don't tell them it's on an off road truck. unless you really spend a lot there, then they might any way.
i had one set warranteed, but they were misboxed. i bought the good joints, and the cheapies were in the box. this was the first set i bought, so i didn't know they were the cheap joints. 1 race weekend later they were really loose. took a little to convince them i didn't do the swaperoo. but they took care of me.

LIGHTS RIGHT
www.rosshoek.com

hoeker

Reaction
glad i could entertain you. everybody has a bad day now and again. mine was just REALLY BAD. just goes to show how much driving is mental, not just physical. at least i got it out of my system all in one race. next week will be lots better

LIGHTS RIGHT
www.rosshoek.com

billymanfroy

Reaction
Ross is dead on. (And I also thank you for the entertainment!) We ran our truck for 3-4 years with the stock ball joints and decided to replace them just because we couldn't believe they hadn't failed yet. I went to All Parts and specifically asked for Moog parts. They were $60 each.

They were freakin' junk after one short course race, so I bought new ones thinking I got a bad batch or something. They still wore out in one race, so we put the stock ones back in and ran a whole desert race on them (they weren't loose, we were just paranoid) Now here's the trick: We went to Kragens and got their over the counter joints for $40 each and they've been in the truck ever since. I can't remember what brand they are, though - sorry.

Billy

redline

Reaction
the good ones that napa sells are their fleet series i believe they are blue. they rock! But i think they cost 85 bucks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Yea those are them...85 bucks/BJ is cheap insurance!!!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

hoeker

Reaction
small price to pay compared to breaking a ball joint (just watch the CORR race next fri). does sound like the right parts though, very nice blue boots.(set them apart)

LIGHTS RIGHT
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

singlehanded

Reaction
I pretty sure my truck could use some new balljoints by now, the question is. How do you know when you need new balljoints on a daily/driven prerunner? Should I replace all 4 balljoints and is that 85 bucks times 4 for my front end or 85 for lowers and 85 for uppers?thanks

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Pull of the tire and try to wiggle the spindle (not the rotor) ...if it does you are in definite need of them...that is the easier test. Pull of the spindle and see if they are loose...they should be tight..kind of tuff to move. One of the ball joints is usually cheaper then the other..cant think of which one it is right now though. While you are at it change the bearing too.

Kris

singlehanded

Reaction
so if it wiggles change both upper and lower?

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
IF they wiggle..then you have to pull the spindle off anyway and then you can assess whether you need both or not. Make sure you get a good ball joint press too...they are not easy to get out or put it!!

Kris

singlehanded

Reaction
thanks............

In_the_works

Reaction
I recently replaced the bj's on my f-1 and I'm pretty sure it's similar to your ranger. They weren't that expensive either, something to the tune of $85-90 for all 4, uppers and lowers. You can pick up a decent balljoint press from harbor freight for about $30.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250