• Forum membership has its advantages....

84 F150 2wd

EQuin

Hi Folks,

My friend has a bone-stock 84 F150 2wd with an inline 6 that he wants to convert into a prerunner. It's his daily driver/work truck that he would like to take off-road on occasion. He is looking for a functional, yet mild increase in travel. Ride height is not his main goal. I know very little about the 84 2wd F150 suspension and drivetrain. My friend lives south of Dallas, so he does not have the luxury of being able to personally visit the good So Cal shops like Donahoe, Camburg and all the others. Since prerunners are very rare in this part of the country, his main source of info would be mags, such as Off Road, and quality internet forums such as this one. Any ideas, suggestions or advice?

Thanks for any help! Take care,

Ed Q.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." Sir Winston Churchill

heavy8

AUTOFAB has a nice kit for older fords that can be upgaded as you can afford it. check out there website. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.autofab.com>www.autofab.com</A>

There web site might not show the kit for the 84 fullsize but check out the ranger kit for a reference. You can give a call, there # is on there website.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by heavy8 on 09/12/01 04:55 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

EQuin

Thanks for the great info, Heavy8. Looks like Autofab has some good stuff for Ford trucks. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Take care,

Ed Q.

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
there is only one problem about autofab, dont get me wrong they do awesome work, but they are EXPENSIVE. from all my research they charge 300 to 400 dollars more with some things being double the price at camburg H&M and in my opinion there work just dosent match up

just my 2 cents

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Ed I would only like to add that you have to be careful when talking to certain fabricators.....They might try and tell you that if they didnt build it or design it then it must be a big piece of $%#@. Keep an open mind and talk to more than just one person before you make a decision. Ask 10 mechanics the same question and you are likely to get 10 different answers. There are other fab guys who even if they think it is a piece won't say anything bad about other peoples work. To me this shows more confidence than trying to get your business by badmouthing others. Just my 2 cents

EQuin

Thanks for the info, Class8. Cost is definitely a factor.

I guess for now, I'm thinking of a Deaver prerunner leaf pack in the rear; and wider, bent I-beams, radius arms, up front. What kind of shocks should he get? 2.0" or 2.5"? He doesn't plan to do much jumping, if any.

Also, does anyone know what kind of rear end an 84 2wd F150 has? How can we find this out? If it doesn't have the venerable Ford 9", is it worth it to swap out the stock rear end for a 9"?

Take care,

Ed Q.

EQuin

Thanks for the excellent advice, Todd. I'll keep that in mind as we call around different shops.

Take care,

Ed Q.