9" back brace installation

Wild bill

Reaction
I plan on pulling the rear out of my 79 bronco this summer to install a detroit and 35 spline axles. While it is out, I plan on buying a pre-fabbed back brace and welding it in at that time. Any do's or dont's on the intstall?

Wild bill

Reaction
Not sure what you mean by "pre bend". My plan is to gut the housing, clean it up, clamp it to the work bench, weld the brace on by welding 6" sections randomly to keep the housing from pulling. Other than that, not sure what else needs to be done.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The pre-made ones are junk for the most part. Get one bent up that is as tall as your axle tubes. This way your welding on the top and bottom of the tubes equalizing the stress. No warping.

Or you could buy this one.

FabioP

Reaction
I apologize if I am hijacking the thread but I think it's related. Wouldn't it make more sense if the gusset is installed on the top instead of the back? Aren't the jumping forces much more harmful?

Wild bill

Reaction
Ok partybarge....who makes the brace you pictured? That is exactly what I want.

Giant Geoff

Reaction
I apologize if I am hijacking the thread but I think it's related. Wouldn't it make more sense if the gusset is installed on the top instead of the back? Aren't the jumping forces much more harmful?

With people first get into the desert stuff; you will jump your truck so high the axle housing will bend to where you have camber. When you’re older you tend to go on long trail ride for hours or days at a time to where you’re moving foreword at speeds and you receiving a lot of frontal impacts that bends the axle housing backwards that tows in the house.

I still like to jump my truck to where I don’t harm any thing but going fast, you can’t avoid all the rocks we come across.

I offer the WIY truss only kit now with out the 4-link mounting tabs.
http://giantmotorsports.com/content/view/75/97/

Ryan B

Reaction
Pre bend before bracing.

2x

if you are bracing the back you can put your housing on your(hopefully stout) table the side that the 3rd member bolds into facing down, and clamp each end so that you are preloading the ends of the axle tubes towards the table. if you just clamp it flat and weld the whole thing it will spring back upwards, and give you toe out(it's happened to me).

and if you can put new snouts on the end of the axle tubes after all your welding is done on the rest of the housing, and get one of the mittler bros. alignment bar kits to get everything dialed.

nikiwestcoast

Reaction
Good idea to check that the housing is straight before you brace it. Speedway or hoopers both have jigs and can straighten it if it is warped or bent. Don't get it too hot welding and defiantly have it checked when your done.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
You could easily check it yourself if you own a dial indicator and either have (or fab) a rearend dolly. . .set the dial indicator up with a magnetic base and then just check the runout before and after. . .correct as necessary.

glamisrnr

Reaction
The axle I bough looks like it was welded in one inch sections and went to the opposite end and did that all the way around the axle.