9" gurus, I need help

Stan

Reaction
9\" gurus, I need help

But in a little different way. This is what's going on, I'm in a tech "discussion" with someone discussing the benefits of the 9 inch in a rig and I've gone as far as I can go so I'm here looking for beaucoup help.

I need knowledge and the what for's and why to's the 9 inch diff is the solution for the dezert. And to make it even better, I need answers as they were pertaining to a fullsize truck that is a street legal, maybe occasionally races, but gets worked out in the dezert.

Here's what I need information wise:

1. What is the bare minimum needed to make a 9" survive given the information posted? Trussing is already a given, what I would really like to know is can a stock 9", what are they, 28 and 31 spline? be thrown underneath a truck such as a Blazer, Bronco, or fullsize pickup and work well?

2. What would the bare minimum $$$$$ spent on something like this?

Remember, I'm looking for the bare minimum cause I'm fighting 14FF gurus here that are against desert racing.

Thanks for the help.

Stan

I'm not here, nor was I here, nor will I ever be here.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Re: 9\" gurus, I need help

Lots of after market parts. Easy to get. Easy to build. Large ring gear. Very easy to prep...drop the 3rd member..send it to the gear guy! Other options that are equivalent are too expensive or too much trouble to prep.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

Stan

Reaction

Okay, for the general desert person who wants to blast across the desert at a good clip everyso often, what would I be looking for in a 9 inch from the junkyard and what kind of $$$$ to get it up to stuff on the lowbuck side? What kind of mods and $$$$ does a low buck team do to a 9 inch?

jeff

Reaction

I don't think it can get any more low buck than a Ford 9" rearend. If you aren't making lots of power a 31-spline 9" rear will hold up if properly braced and maintained. If you start with a good core you can rebuild/upgrade it for pretty cheap using quality parts. Forget the whole idea of low-buck if your engine is making lots of power and the driver isn't shy with the gas pedal. You'll want to re-gear it because it's almost impossible to find a rear end with the gears you need already in it. Toss a full spool in there and rebuild the drum brakes using new shoes and if necessary some clean up work on the drums themselves. You should be able to put together a pretty good low budget 9" for less than $1000 bucks if you do 90% of the work yourself. If you have to rely on someone else to build it that price is meaningless. A $1000 bucks can get you new gears & bearing kit, new axles, a cheap full spool, some brake parts, and the cost of a junk yard 9" if you don't already have one. Bust out the latest Summit Racing catalog and you can see that for not much money you can put together a pretty good 9".

However... if your vehicle is dishing out more abuse than a stock-ish 9" is willing to handle it's pointless to throw $1000 bucks down the drain. It's easier and more economical to spend $2000 once than it is to spend $1000 and THEN another $2000... sometimes saving a penny can cost you a nickel.

Oh yeah... avoid the temptation of really cheap eBay rear ends unless you know your stuff. I've seen people get hood winked by someone selling what "appeared" to be a nice rearend... when in reality it was overpriced junk.

Aloha

ntsqd

Reaction

Won't claim to be a 9" guru, but I posted directly over there.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction

I have a fullsize bronco with a decent motor. After grenading 2 8.8's in a row I went to the junk yard and got a complete 9" from a 78 van. Had the same gear ratio and new brakes for 110$. Put a rebuilt trac lock from currie in for 280$. So for under 400$ I have a rear end that has survived countless beatings in the desert, prerunning, crawling and towing. It, like most junk yard rear ends is only a 28 spline. For a rear end that will take this kind of punishment for this price, it can't be beat!

hoeker

Reaction

take the time to find one out of a truck, then it will be 31 spline. lots stronger.

<font color=yellow>LIGHTS RIGHT<font color=yellow>
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Stan

Reaction

It may be a losing cause, the other person that jumped in is so friggin hard headed, he wouldn't believe if the sky was blue. I really appreciate the help.

ntsqd

Reaction

Folks here can appreciate a 9" for it's pluses. Maybe we should've let them think that they all, every last man-jack of them, NEEDS to have a GM 14bolt. That would do two things, leave the 9''s for those of us who can make use of them, and drive the price of the 14's up so much that they're not the 'deal' they''re made out to be.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

Stan

Reaction

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Maybe we should've let them think that they all, every last man-jack of them, NEEDS to have a GM 14bolt.

<hr></blockquote>

Hehehehe. That thread, in only the second time since I've been there for the past two years actually shown any vigor and other solutions other than a 14 bolt in the whole rearend debate. And 99% of them do believe they do need a 14 bolt. Unfortunately, the desert minded crowd is very small over there, though the anti-desert no nothing crowd has stayed very silent until now. But I'm really not surprised though, that person is a regular of "that" other website and it shows unfortunately.

At least I got to learn a few things off that thread and I'm starting to get the urge to see if I can put that thrid member I have laying around to good use.

BTW, I was looking through your pictures and noticed the buggy. Do you drive that?