9 in a Toy

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
I just blew up my third member at MDR and I am lookin at putting a whole new rear end in the back. What do I need to do in order to swap a ford 9 in in the back?

Thanks, Randy

BlueCoyote

Reaction
Why a 9"? IN the past I have broken many 9' fords, but to date no Toyota's. Consider running a V6 third member. And what exaclty is failing - the gears, carriers, ???
While the 9' ford 3rd member is a bit stronger, the axle shafts are not unless you go to either full float or 31 spline (aka $$$). If you are set on a 9", you will need to find one of the same aproximate width, change the spring pads, find a brake line adapter, find a way to connect the ebrake cables - (fords are forward pull, toyotas center pull), and find a way to adapt the drive line (toyota uses flanges, ford uses many different yokes). Plus you need to redrill the axle flange to 6 bolts, or run 5 lugs in the back.

Who are you calling Coyote ugly?
84 Toyota p/u Rokrawlr
86 4rnr
80 Toyota MDR Project

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
I put a 28 spline 70's Lincoln rear end in my race truck with a 4cyl and broke two axles. After that I had Jerry at Camburg order me a Stock Car Products 31 spline full floater. The main things you need to worry about are the wheel pattern and the drive line. The SCP rear ends seem to be the best as far as an affordable full floater unless something new has popped up in the last two years.

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
Well basically my pinion gear shattered and one of the teeth made a hole in the differential housing spilling oil everywhere. The main bearings are scorched and there are metal shards everywhere. I was thinking about just getting a new third member, but I thought since I am going to spend money and everything is apart right now that it might be a good time to upgrade to something stronger with disc brakes already on them.(plus i thought it might be cheaper if I can find a complete 9" out of a junkyard.) Now that you mention all the changes, it does sound easier to weld up the hole and use another third member though.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i ran into the same problem and realize i could get a 9" with 31 spline axles and disc brakes for just a bit more than it would cost to repair the toyota one and convert to disc. plus i had already blown up 2 toyota ring and pinions. i went to currie, i also like PDC in placentia. if you go to one of those places they will setup the perches where they need to be for almost nothing. all you have to do is have a ford ujoint setup put on one end, some brake lines, and a proportioning valve. in total i spent about 2500 for the rearend, d-shaft, brake lines, etc. to me it was very much worth it, and ive been very happy with it.

erik

PatrickG

Reaction
What about the idea of putting and explorer 8.8 in a toyota. Most have 31 spline, ls, disc brakes, 4.5 x 5 bolt pattern and are a couple of inches wider. Would that work better than a 9"
Patrick

jeff

Reaction
I know a few 8.8 setups that have held up to some severe abuse in the crawling world... 38" tires and a 250-hp 4.0L. Not to mention the 4:1 low range and doubler the guy runs... think the final ratio is like 100:1 or so... so I know they can handle torque and not bust. The only problem using them in a prerunner / race application I can think of is... to brace the 8.8 properly is tougher because the guts come and go in through the rear. On a 9" you can run a full top and rear brace without too much fuss. 8.8's are in good supply and pretty cheap thase days - can you say Firestone? (j/k)

Aloha

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Yeah, in my buddy's Exploder he had an 8.8 with 5:13 gears. It handled the gears just fine. It was his prerunner and he ran 33"s on it. He bought it from T&J's, they used it to race the bone stock class in BITD, they raced it only in Vegas to Reno and my buddy bought it. It had Deavers and SAW bypasses and we beat that thing to hell! You have no idea. He jumped it 9 feet in the air (height) off a dune at Glamis. Anyway, after all of the abuse we put it through the 8.8 rear end bent on both sides of the pumpkin. I don't know if you would beat it like we did though. Just a little info from prerunning with an 8.8 in the vehicle where it came stock! I can't say what it would do in a Toyota though.

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiests

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
It is not recommended to run larger then 4.56s in an 8.8...to do so you must trim the ring gear. If you notice Ford SVO stops at 4.56s for 8.8 gears...there is a reason. Also I dont know of a respectable gear shop that will do the install!

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
We had looked at putting the exploder rear in my bro's 85 toyo, but since he still has the stock fuel tank (it'll be there for a while) we couldn't do it. The offset of the 3rd members on toyos and fords is opposite because the stock gas tanks come in opposite sides of the car/truck. So, unless you have a cell the 8.8 exploder rear won't work (at least as far as I could tell). Steve

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
I put a 7.5 out of a 4wd ranger in my toy and the shaft barley rubs the tank, mainly after a beating, the side to side movement of the rear end. Is the 8.8 pinion offset more than the 8.8?

If your gunna go.........go Ghetto...

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Not sure - the ranger 8.8's should be the same as the 7.5's but I can't say about the exploder 8.8's. They might be offset a little more - they are wider so maybe that could play a part. Steve

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i was wondering what has to be done to fit a V6 third member in a stock 2wd rearend, and how much would it cost

no brain, no pain

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
If you have a 8" rear end it will drop in. If you have the 7.5" rear end in some 2WD's then I believe it will not fit.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

ntsqd

Reaction
The V6 drop-out will bolt into an 8" housing. The R&P is specific to the V6 though. There some ways to hodge-podge a 4cyl R&P set into a V6 carrier, but why would you want to ?

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i know this sounds like a pretty stupid question, but bare with me i'm learning, how do you tell between a 7.5 and a 8, is there any noticeable marks or do you actually have to measure.

no brain, no pain

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i did a search and only found out one thing- 17 pages of seach results+35 per page+56k modem= along time with no answers.

my truck is a 86 longbed single cab 5 speed 22r 2wd, can anyone help?

no brain, no pain

YotaWhoopRunner

Reaction
After realizing the work i would have to go through, I decided to just upgrade my rear diff and call it a day. I just bought a v6 tacoma electric locker third member and I am going to re gear it, put it in my old housing and weld up the hole. Thanks everyone for their input I'm glad I didn't have to figure it out the hard way and be with out a truck for even longer!